Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:45 PM

679 posts, read 660,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think it is funny... the austerity programs started what, a year or two ago? And liberals are calling it a failure... Obama has been in office for almost 4 years and they say its too soon to decide whether it has been successful or not... funny.. not only that, the European countries were in REALLY, REALLY bad shape compared to the US but apparently they should of recovered faster and better... and all they did with austerity was to decrease (not stop) some of the social programs and pensions..
Yes social spending was cut but we have to remember Europe has many countries with different government structures, many of which differ from themselves and from that of the USA. If we were to directly compare social cutting in one country and attribute it to "good or bad" would be absurd.

Same goes for the left wing who also claims that one country increases social spending and something good happens and automatically expects it to work the exact same way in the USA.

Both sides like to take up this bickering point that they think is logical in theory but really makes no sense when you look at it on paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 04:26 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Britain raised tax rates.
The VAT is now 20 percent.
The capital gains tax rate is now 28 percent.
The top marginal income tax rate is now 50 percent.

British spending has had mild cuts and still represents a sharp increase compared to the pre recession levels. British spending as a percent of GDP fell from 51.1 percent to 49.8 percent from 2009 to 2011. 2007 it was 43.9 percent of GDP. The British deficit as a percent of GDP fell from 11 to 9.4 from 2009 to 2011. In 2007 it was 2.8 percent. No balanced budgets or significant spending reductions that I see.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:45 PM

692 posts, read 1,355,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

British spending has had mild cuts and still represents a sharp increase compared to the pre recession levels. British spending as a percent of GDP fell from 51.1 percent to 49.8 percent from 2009 to 2011. 2007 it was 43.9 percent of GDP. The British deficit as a percent of GDP fell from 11 to 9.4 from 2009 to 2011. In 2007 it was 2.8 percent. No balanced budgets or significant spending reductions that I see.
The top income tax rate was reduced from 50% to 45% in the last budget a few weeks ago.

BBC News - Budget 2012: Farewell, 50p tax rate

Old 04-29-2012, 05:47 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How do you suppose the right is back in power? Maybe because the people saw the terrible direction the left was taking them?
Not at all. It's a result of our flawed political process. Here we have a majority Conservative government but 60% of the electorate voted against them. In a winner take all system you could win every single seat with as little as 21% of the vote if there were 5 candidates running. It's too bad but we have 3 parties sharing the left of center votes. The NDP, Liberals and Greens. The conservatives got a little smarter a few years back and the 3 conservative parties joined together as one party. If the NDP and Liberals joined there would never ever be another conservative government elected in this country. It's only the egos of the respective leaders that prevents this logical joining of liberal forces. I wish they would do it tomorrow but it may take another loss to force their hand. Jean Chretien, who was a great liberal PM said recently that the only regret he had from the years he was PM was that he didn't join the two liberal parties together when he had the chance to do it.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:51 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,984,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
The top income tax rate was reduced from 50% to 45% in the last budget a few weeks ago.

BBC News - Budget 2012: Farewell, 50p tax rate
Wow good news. It's going the right direction....

Too little too late.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
And the mentioned poster just embarrassed himself, by claiming Poland is not part of the EU.
I was assuming that not using the euro ment a country wasn't in the EU. I was thinking that all countries in the EU were using the euro. I know Poland uses their own currency so that's why I said what I said.

Anyway now I know that a country being in the EU doesn't mean it's a euro using country or in the eurozone. That's a detail I bet many people aren't aware of.

Last edited by Motion; 04-29-2012 at 06:23 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 06:15 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think it is funny... the austerity programs started what, a year or two ago? And liberals are calling it a failure... Obama has been in office for almost 4 years and they say its too soon to decide whether it has been successful or not... funny.. not only that, the European countries were in REALLY, REALLY bad shape compared to the US but apparently they should of recovered faster and better... and all they did with austerity was to decrease (not stop) some of the social programs and pensions..
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Who are you talking about? The biggest, most influential liberal on this issue is Paul Krugman and he called this exactly correct. The stimulus was too small and barely helped the economy.
That's exactly right -- and the austerity measures in Europe didn't start "a year or two ago." They started around the same time as the U.S. used expansionary policy.

The result was that the stimulus, such as it was, and prolonging unemployment benefits, was deemed by the CBO and private economists to have been expansionary.

Now, about what Paul Krugman said. He did get it exactly right. This is from January 2009, before the stimulus was even passed:

Stimulus arithmetic (wonkish but important) - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Bit by bit we’re getting information on the Obama stimulus plan, enough to start making back-of-the-envelope estimates of impact. The bottom line is this: we’re probably looking at a plan that will shave less than 2 percentage points off the average unemployment rate for the next two years, and possibly quite a lot less. This raises real concerns about whether the incoming administration is lowballing its plans in an attempt to get bipartisan consensus.
This really does look like a plan that falls well short of what advocates of strong stimulus were hoping for — and it seems as if that was done in order to win Republican votes. Yet even if the plan gets the hoped-for 80 votes in the Senate, which seems doubtful, responsibility for the plan’s perceived failure, if it’s spun that way, will be placed on Democrats.

I see the following scenario: a weak stimulus plan, perhaps even weaker than what we’re talking about now, is crafted to win those extra GOP votes. The plan limits the rise in unemployment, but things are still pretty bad, with the rate peaking at something like 9 percent and coming down only slowly. And then Mitch McConnell says “See, government spending doesn’t work.”
This is what McConnell said on October 11, 2011:
Quote:
“The President’s first stimulus was a legislative and economic catastrophe,”... There’s really only one thing you need to know about the first stimulus to oppose this second one, and it’s this: $825 billion later, there are 1.5 million fewer jobs in this country than there were when the first stimulus was signed. That’s the clearest proof it was a monstrous failure. And it’s the surest proof we have that those who support this second stimulus are not doing so to create jobs… Why on earth would you support an approach that we already know won’t work?

Old 04-29-2012, 06:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Paul Krugman told the Europeans austerity would make things worse and that's just what is happening.

He also told Obama and these right wing idiots that the US stimulus bill was too small and too loaded with ineffective tax cuts.

He also said if Obama went along with these right wing idiot lawmakers and made the bill too small that it wouldn't be nearly effective.

He also said the GOP would blame Obama for it not working after he caved into their demands that it be smaller and too loaded with tax cuts.

And that's just what happened.

A President with no character to fight for what is right, caving to a majority of right wing idiots (some democrats) trying to run the economy into the ground.
while i was against the stimulus plan, i wasnt against it just because it was a democrat plan. when FDR started huge government spending in the 1930s, he concentrated on the infrastructure and actually putting people to work with government programs. and in the end it actually helped the US economy later on. it did however prolong the depression as well, along with higher taxes and an anti-business stance by FDR.

fast forward to this administration and the stimulus package that was passed by democrats in 2009. that failed because it was NOT infrastructure spending, but rather garbage spending, and paybacks to obama supporters. i mean really, refurbishing airports that are hardly used, train stations that are never used, putting shrimp on treadmills, frisbee golf courses, turtle tunnels, etc.

and the spending actually gone to road building, upgrading the electrical grid, repairing old damns, etc. then even if it didnt work as advertised, i wouldnt be as against the program as i was.

i do agree with the ineffective tax cuts in the program though, they went to the wrong places. the other problem i have is with this presidents anti-business stance. adding new regulations on business only costs money, and that is something that business cant afford right now. also he increased the cost of repatriating money earned by US corporations overseas, and that is why more than a trillion dollars is still stilling in banks overseas, rather than coming home and being used here by corporations to expand their business here.

and while the economy is improving slightly, had obama made different moves, we would be booming right now, and obama would be a shoe in for reelection this year. i mean 2.2% growth? are you kidding me? we should be on a pace to hit 5-6% growth right now.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:55 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I was assuming that not using the euro ment a country wasn't in the EU. I was thinking that all countries in the EU were using the euro. I know Poland uses their own currency so that's why I said what I said.

Anyway now I know that a country being in the EU doesn't mean it's a euro using country or in the eurozone. That's a detail I bet many people aren't aware of.
How could you not be aware the UK uses Pounds not Euros!

Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

News flash: fractions have denominators. When British spending rose to 51.1 percent of GDP from 43.9 percent of GDP, it was because GDP fell not spending rose.

As for taxes, the American stock market boomed at the time capital gains was 39%. If you're arguing that higher rates hurt job creation, I would note that a net of nearly 40 million jobs were added between 1980 and 2000. You know what’s happened since then: lower tax rates and far lower job creation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies