Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:18 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
He's not my hero. In my opinion, the only living Hollywood hero is Charles Durning. Private First Class Charles Durning
THAT is a REAL hero, not the ersatz kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
What is Jon Voight saying. He is telling us as Americans that the real Americans put OUR COUNTRY FIRST, not any man or woman .

To put the country first is to hold on to our Constitution , the ground for which we stand in freedom and not put trust in any leader who wants to change our Constitution or change our freedoms of which we are the beacon of freedom for the world.

We as a people must be careful to not hold up the beliefs of any president that goes against our freedoms for this is how a dictatorship happens. When we idolize a president before we hold true to the freedoms we have been so blessed with is a grave mistake. It is up to the American people to realize this truth. Americans are different or suppose to be. Not hold close to any man who happens to be in the White house but to hold dear that with which many have given their all to be free. A country born with rights of every American guaranteed freedom from a dictatorship. A government of , by and for the people.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Have you never seen me admit to being 17, just out of high school, when our good President Truman sent troops to Korea declaring that he would get it done while the UN debated over it for a month or two. I guess I must have been a draft dodger since I failed to get drafted for four years in college. I just took a test that the law prescribed we take and then had to make better than a C average those 4 years.

Old draft dodger me was under the Universal Military Training law however and upon graduation found that getting a job wasn't nearly as easy as getting that annual deferment to attend college. Finally I couldn't get drafted although I worked for the head man down at the draft who was one of the first men called back as a Navy fighter pilot and very bitter since he hard 8 kids at the time. He told me he couldn't get me drafted for at least 6 months, so like a good liberal thinking Democrat I just enlisted and loved every minute of the three years.

Anyway, I would have to be considered a draft dodger although I used the law to do it since moving to Canada hadn't been discovered when I started.

I only have one ex-wife but was a Democrat when we split. What does that have to do with anything, though? Oh yeah, I understand you. When will you manage to reform like Voight and I did about the same age?
Uh...dude...I was talking about Voight...not you.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
What is Jon Voight saying. He is telling us as Americans that the real Americans put OUR COUNTRY FIRST, not any man or woman .

To put the country first is to hold on to our Constitution , the ground for which we stand in freedom and not put trust in any leader who wants to change our Constitution or change our freedoms of which we are the beacon of freedom for the world.

We as a people must be careful to not hold up the beliefs of any president that goes against our freedoms for this is how a dictatorship happens. When we idolize a president before we hold true to the freedoms we have been so blessed with is a grave mistake. It is up to the American people to realize this truth. Americans are different or suppose to be. Not hold close to any man who happens to be in the White house but to hold dear that with which many have given their all to be free. A country born with rights of every American guaranteed freedom of a dictatorship. A government of , by and for the people.

Yeah, but he put himself first during the 1960's...didn't he?

Old 04-29-2012, 03:29 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
What can I say about this one. Only that Jon Voight has stood up to the left leaners in Hollywood for some time, and this time he does it on TV.

Jon Voight
Jon Voight is a hero of sorts. Jon has the guts to go against Hollywood crowd and some would call that heroic. To be brave enough to say what the Hollywood crowd would go against in a big way. So yes, Jon Voight is heroic in a different kind of way.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:39 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
He served in Hollywood making training films.
He was making those films because he served and was doing what he was told to do. That is what you do when you serve... you do what you are told to do. The fact that he wasn't getting shot at is irrelevant. He did serve (and William the Impeached did not).

Old 04-29-2012, 03:47 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,399 times
Quote:
I filled in one of the jobs you mentioned among the heroes list but never thought of myself as a hero for one of the 28 years. Of course, I couldn't be other hero you listed, by way of my sexual creation, and I don't know if the e-mail I got last week about a grandmother calling her fertile daughter the bread winner for all her kids that the grandmother draws over $150,000 per year to take care of.

Maybe I am a hero because I never helped any single mother create a new mouth for my tax money to feed.
No you're just a taxpayer. Same as me and millions of other Americans.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 04-29-2012 at 04:22 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 03:50 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,367 times
Quote:
Who else could he work for in Hollywood? How many of the producers and directors, other than Clint Eastwood, are not left fallers?
Geez I don't know, maybe he could have some entrepreneurial spirit like Mel Gibson and Kirk Cameron.

Then again that might require some sacrifice and as we know heroes aren't supposed to sacrifice anything.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:53 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Anyone from the entertainment industry who comes out as a conservative is gutsy.
Gutsy, and so right. If only there could be more of them....

Old 04-29-2012, 03:59 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,512 times
I thought the term "hero" signified a person who has done something heroic - you know, selflessly rescued a kid from a burning house, etc. In general, being a hero seems to be aligned with saving another person's life in a selfless way that goes above and beyond what can ordinarily be expected.

To me, it's not simply a label that is applied broadly. It is also unrelated to one's political stance, one's skin color, one's education level, one's nationality, one's gender.

Not agreeing with a given political opinion is certainly no heroic feat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies