U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 09:56 AM

4,380 posts, read 2,943,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
As reported by New York CBS affiliate 1010 WINS, Fox News and a variety of other outlets, 13-year-old Southampton (N.Y.) High student Keeling Pilaro will not be allowed to compete for the Southampton field hockey team in fall 2012 because he has simply been too dominant a player over the past two seasons. Pilaro began competing for the Southampton varsity field hockey team at just 11 years of age, and at age 13 still stands a tiny 4-foot-8 and 82 pounds.
What Pilaro lacks in dominant physical stature he makes up for in international experience. The teen was raised in Ireland, until his family came to Long Island, and he grew up playing field hockey in Europe, where the sport is relatively popular among boys just as it is in the U.S. among girls.
Keeling Pilaro, male field hockey player, banned for being too good at the sport | Prep Rally - Yahoo! Sports

Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 AM

3,203 posts, read 3,355,650 times
I wonder if Rafael Nadal could compete in women's tennis.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:24 AM

14,920 posts, read 11,209,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
I wonder if Rafael Nadal could compete in women's tennis.
If the area he grew up in didn't have men's secondary school tennis, perhaps he should have been allowed to play with the girls.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:43 PM

27,790 posts, read 17,772,667 times
More government enforced discrimination....but I bet you don't hear about the ACLU getting all butt-hurt about it.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:57 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,498,604 times
This has been happening for DECADES. If a kid is just too good at certain sports, it creates danger to the other kids who play at the "normal" level.
I definitely recall this happening in Little League baseball at least 20 years ago, and then it was not a new concept.

So what is newsworthy/controversial about this?

Old 04-29-2012, 04:19 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,330,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
This has been happening for DECADES. If a kid is just too good at certain sports, it creates danger to the other kids who play at the "normal" level.
I definitely recall this happening in Little League baseball at least 20 years ago, and then it was not a new concept.

I had to do some looking but I found this link that talks about what has happened in the US with all the laws about equality for the sexes. I think that this kid might need to change schools so he can get into one that has the sport for boys teams. I think that him being too good for the girls could easily happen although there is a bit here about a girl who got injured and had to play with the boys' team and ended up winning the state championship. How is that?

Old 04-29-2012, 04:21 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,330,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post

I had to do some looking but I found this link that talks about what has happened in the US with all the laws about equality for the sexes. I think that this kid might need to change schools so he can get into one that has the sport for boys teams. I think that him being too good for the girls could easily happen although there is a bit here about a girl who got injured and had to play with the boys' team and ended up winning the state championship. How is that?

Do boys play field hockey in high school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or