Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think school vouchers will improve education?
Yes 18 54.55%
No 14 42.42%
Not Sure 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:00 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
Schools and teachers do not create good, conscientious, motivated students who will excel and work to their fullest potential. If a student is a poor student, it is not the result of their school or their teachers.

Schools (well-funded or underfunded, public or private) are not the problem with learning in this country. Teachers (well-paid or underpaid) are not the problem with learning in this country.

Parenting is 100% at the root of it. Students can excel in financially poor public schools (I know I did). Students can become miserable failures in wealthy private schools (i.e. many of my private college classmates). Look to the parenting and what values are instilled; if students are encouraged, and taught by parents and guardians the value of learning and education, and if it is upheld as something important.
YES,YES, YES!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 12:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I do think you have a point, Scribbler, as does Jgussler--if you are not happy with your kid's school, quit complaining and become a part of the solution.

Denver Public Schools has open enrollment/school choice for public schools, and yes, the best schools are the ones that end up with a lottery to get in, and a waiting list.
There is a magnet school for special needs kids, but of course there is only so much room, so many resources.

No doubt some home-schooled kids do outperform other kids at educational competitions, I am sure that a dedicated parent who is a serious instructor will get good results--all they have to worry about is their own kids, not 33.

Home life does have a lot to do with a child's education, no matter where he attends school, and not all private/parochial schools are created equal, any more than public ones are.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:16 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
Schools and teachers do not create good, conscientious, motivated students who will excel and work to their fullest potential. If a student is a poor student, it is not the result of their school or their teachers.

Schools (well-funded or underfunded, public or private) are not the problem with learning in this country. Teachers (well-paid or underpaid) are not the problem with learning in this country.

Parenting is 100% at the root of it. Students can excel in financially poor public schools (I know I did). Students can become miserable failures in wealthy private schools (i.e. many of my private college classmates). Look to the parenting and what values are instilled; if students are encouraged, and taught by parents and guardians the value of learning and education, and if it is upheld as something important.
Nice veer, and an excellent example of why I support school vouchers. Perhaps a private school, or better thought through public school, would have alternatives to blaming parents.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I don't look at it as a complete "Blame the Parents" scenario as much as a "Let's Fix Societal Problems" situation. And maybe the occasional "Let's Give Clueless Parents A Swift Kick In the Rear End."
There does need to be a *partnership* between parents and educators. Schools can't do it all.
Many public schools are dealing with situations that are beyond their control.
All special needs kids are guaranteed a public school education, but the resources for that education might not be found in every single public school.
I wanted my G/T kid to get the best middle school education possible, and that was not in our neighborhood school. We used Denver's School Choice option: we open-enrolled him in the right school, and we drove him there and back every day.
When it comes to vouchers, I suppose each individual program is only as good as its setup and its participants. So far I am unconvinced that this is the right solution.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:41 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
That is the absolute truth! What really angers me is how every school bond, and every tax hike proposal intended for public education always pass in all the elections. It shows how ignorant the voting public can be (probably educated in the public school system ... ha ha). And what are we GETTING as a result of all the money being thrown into public schools? The answer: more illiteracy, more under performers, and still more whining from the liberals that not enough money is being spent on education.

I entirely agree with this concept ... except I think that all schools should be privatized. If that can't be achieved, then I propose that if we have to keep the system public, make the PARENTS pay for their kids who use the public system (sort of a "user fee"). I'm tired of 70% of my property taxes being taken from me and thrown into this black hole that has proven to be a failure. I don't use the public school system, and I don't have any kids, so why should I be forced to pay for it?!
The problem is that most of the taxpayer money goes towards union dues, union political campaigns (Wisconsin, for example), pensions and travel expenses for union executives.

The District of Columbia spends more money per student than anywhere in the nation but the kids can barely read because the money doesn't get to them.

If the kids could get jobs as teacher's union executives then money wouldn't be a problem for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies