Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
YES. Dogs are unlike ANY other animal. What other animals can lead the blind, rescue/track a missing person, alert someone who has epilepsy or diabetes, locate cancer cells by smell?? The list of what canines are capable of is endless.
Pigs are supposedly the smartest animals around, and can do many (if not all) of the things you have listed above... so is it wrong to have bacon or ham? I don't eat pork myself, but have no beef with those who do - no pun intended, LOL.

P.S. Monkeys can also be trained to work as service animals, and in some cultures monkey meat is common fare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 PM

475 posts, read 507,757 times
Its wrong !

And before you attack me, im vegan.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:57 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Pigs are supposedly the smartest animals around, and can do many (if not all) of the things you have listed above... so is it wrong to have bacon or ham? I don't eat pork myself, but have no beef with those who do - no pun intended, LOL.

P.S. Monkeys can also be trained to work as service animals, and in some cultures monkey meat is common fare.
People will criticize eating monkies, but have no problem on animal experimentation for cosmetics, etc..

Old 04-30-2012, 12:00 AM

475 posts, read 507,757 times
I believe that if you are against people eating dog meat but you have no problem eating a cow or a pig, you are a hipocrite. Cows, pigs and chicken feel the same pain a dog does while its being killed.
Im against all animal cruelty (meat industry, animal testing, fur, leather, etc), not just dogs.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:10 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,169,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
I believe that if you are against people eating dog meat but you have no problem eating a cow or a pig, you are a hipocrite. Cows, pigs and chicken feel the same pain a dog does while its being killed.
Im against all animal cruelty (meat industry, animal testing, fur, leather, etc), not just dogs.
Hm, I just wouldn't eat a carnivore, which dogs are. I'll eat the herbivores though.

Fun.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:22 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,210 times
The "dog meat" reminded me of the dog food diet I used to be on. (thinking I need to get back on it) Fill your pockets with dog food, and when you get hungry, pop a few pieces in your mouth. Dog food and water, a complete balanced diet. Of course, the hospital wouldn't let me stay on it.

Hospital???

Yeah, I bent down to sniff a cute Irish Setter's butt and a car hit both of us....

In one of the Asian countries, there were a number of cases people dying of rabies, even though they were not bitten by any animal. It was tracked down to the people eating dog flesh and the dogs had been infected. There's also a culture that eats live monkey brains. That does not mean I want to join them.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
People will criticize eating monkies, but have no problem on animal experimentation for cosmetics, etc..
I personally don't support animal testing for things like cosmetics (and most companies in the US no longer practice such a thing), but have no issues with animals being used for medical research. At least in this country, we do now have standards regarding proper treatment/housing of lab animals... and if testing drugs on a few rats might cure cancer, I'm not going to whine about it.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:27 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times
Is it wrong? Is it right? Depends on where one lives and the culrure there.

The real question, should the practice be a political issue?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
The real question, should the practice be a political issue?
Only if somebody were proposing this become legal (if it's not already?) in the US, and I'm pretty sure nobody is doing that!

The whole story is just a pathetic attempt at deflection, which seems to be the m.o. from both sides for this election... it's really quite childish, isn't it?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:38 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Now, a better argument against it is that dogs coevolved with humans and have a very different relatinoship with them (pack/family) than any other animal has (or is capable of).
Yes there is another animal,cats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies