Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times

Advertisements

Lucky for Canadians that we have universal health care. I know of a few gays who have been kept alive and healthy for years because they have access to expensive medications that are ALMOST a cure. One particular gay guy that I know seems sneaky - I suspect that he does not tell his partners that he is ill. ANYWAY...people who are ill must do their best not to infect others...If it means not having sex- so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Were the results statistically significant with respect to the hetero community in the same population centers? That's all that's important to know for any logically minded statistician.
Huh? Your comment makes absolutely no sense to me. What did this study have to do with heterosexuals?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
This again?

And no, 1 in 5 gay men do not have HIV. 1 in 5 gay men from the urban core of select major cities who frequent bars and clubs have HIV. That's hardly representative of the gay male community as a whole. Did you not read the actual study? - it even explicitly points that out. Here's a quote from it: "the results are not representative of all MSM."

Prevalence and Awareness of HIV Infection Among Men Who Have Sex With Men --- 21 Cities, United States, 2008
The fact is that homosexuals are overwhelmingly concentrated as a whole in these urban cities and this sample of who are infected is a sizeable minority. HIV is easily spread from the sample to the rest of the homosexual community. You don't think a promiscuous, sizeable minority has he power to infiltrate the rest of the gay community?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Your comment shows that you don't have any grasp of epidemiology.
Do you need me to google that word for you?

The virus was brought to and spread in this country by a special demographic. So you will continue to see a high rate in that population. Especially now that you can live with the disease for decades.
But it's obviously an equal opportunity pathogen. In countries where it didn't come in all specialized, you'll see that the rates can be pretty much the same.
Sounds as though some posters here have never heard of overseas travel.

It's worth adding that the sex trade is alive and well in many countries around the world, clients most often being wealthy westeners who bring the virus back to their unsuspecting wives.

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Lucky for Canadians that we have universal health care. I know of a few gays who have been kept alive and healthy for years because they have access to expensive medications that are ALMOST a cure. One particular gay guy that I know seems sneaky - I suspect that he does not tell his partners that he is ill. ANYWAY...people who are ill must do their best not to infect others...If it means not having sex- so be it.
Yes. Back when I was in college, there was a big news item about a club bouncer (straight guy) with HIV who was angry about having contracted the disease...so he was going around having unprotected sex and not telling his partners as some kind of weird revenge. The controversy was whether or not this was considered assault.

Bastards are bastards regardless of their sexuality.

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
They're doing just fine here in America, too. But nothing's free, somebody is paying for these folks to stay alive and at some level enabling them.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
This has been known for quite some time. It's also known that a big majority of homosexual men are drug addicts too.
That's probably an untrue statement. Inter-venus drug users are rare and not the norm when it comes to addictions. There is a beggar on my street who is not gay..but has HIV..and is dying...the virus entered his system through a needle probably used by a person who contracted the disease through gay sex...hate to sound like a gay basher- but they had it first...it was once a gay affliction - and spread though so-called bi-sexuals and hard drug users..

The whole thing is unfortunate and I just hope society has learned something about poor behavior and promiscuity. Restrict your relationships to one person..hedonistic pleasure seeking through sex or dope has it's price...a deadly one.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
20%?
Yeah, that's the same rate of HIV positive HETEROS in South Africa.

Thanks for playing.
Except that we're not in South Africa. We're in the United States of America, where government sanctions homosexual sex AND provides free clinics to subsidize sexual deviancy. Therefore, 20% is pretty horrific.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
This has been known for quite some time. It's also known that a big majority of homosexual men are drug addicts too.
Big majority? It's unfortunately a problem, but a "big majority," let along a majority of gay men at all, are not drug addicts It's probably in line with the number of gay men who have HIV (roughly 10-12%). What many people don't realize is that within the gay community, drug addiction and the HIV problem go hand-in-hand (primarily crystal meth).

Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
The fact is that homosexuals are overwhelmingly concentrated as a whole in these urban cities and this sample of who are infected is a sizeable minority. HIV is easily spread from the sample to the rest of the homosexual community. You don't think a promiscuous, sizeable minority has he power to infiltrate the rest of the gay community?
What?
Infiltration now?

I don't believe anything you write about the gay community; it's all negative and misrepresentative.
You can't say that you aren't misrepresentative on purpose, look at how you try to backtrack and minimize when called on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
They're doing just fine here in America, too. But nothing's free, somebody is paying for these folks to stay alive and at some level enabling them.
Yes, we're enabling people.
Is your proposal to shove them on the street and let them die?

Why do you hate the gay community?
I find it very difficult to believe that you know any gay people at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies