U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:41 AM

20,894 posts, read 13,645,039 times

Advertisements

So... are you one of those people constantly annoyed that nobody ever actually reads the links you post and instead just rip into to you for posting bull**** flame bait, bilious spin or vacuous propaganda?

Here's how:

Quote:
5 Ways to Spot a B.S. Political Story in Under 10 Seconds

This turdstorm of pointless click-bait filler is a problem for anyone who wants to be an informed voter. To learn anything useful, you need to be able to sort through all of the garbage to find the actual information and insight. So let me just tell you right now that you can safely ignore any story if ...

#5. The Headline Contains the Word "Gaffe"
Basically, It's ...
A politician accidentally misspoke in a way that made him or her look silly, and the opponents are pouncing on it.
#4. The Headline Ends in a Question Mark
Basically, It's ...
A news story so questionable the publication literally felt the need to mark it as such.
#3. The Headline Contains the Word "Blasts"
Basically, It's ...

A politician or other prominent person has taken to a microphone to say something inflammatory about the other side, usually by rephrasing their own party's talking points over and over.
#2. The Headline Is About a "Lawmaker" Saying Something Stupid
Basically, It's ...

A low-level politician with no power said something incredibly stupid, and the opposing party is trumpeting it from the mountaintops to make everyone in the low-level politician's party look stupid.
#1. The Headline Includes the Phrase "Blow To"
Basically, It's ...

Neglecting to explain hugely important policy changes in favor of focusing on the drama, and how it affects the personal political careers of the politicians involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 AM

16,553 posts, read 11,488,118 times
You forgot "War on". That's a staple these days for the Left.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You forgot "War on". That's a staple these days for the Left.
Hmmmm.... Nixon declared the "War on Drugs." Bush declared the "War on Terror."

It appears that it has been a staple for at least 40 years, and not just for the left.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Hmmmm.... Nixon declared the "War on Drugs." Bush declared the "War on Terror."

It appears that it has been a staple for at least 40 years, and not just for the left.
That's not what I'm talking about and you know it. I'm talking about how the Left likes to use the word "WAR" in their diatribes to drum up fear for their opposition. It only works on "useful idiots" though.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 AM

22,491 posts, read 11,581,681 times
If NBC has anything on tape do not believe it.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:12 AM

697 posts, read 1,157,917 times
#6. The News Source is the "Daily Mail"

Old 05-01-2012, 09:13 AM

5,527 posts, read 8,966,396 times
#7. The OP is (you know who they are and I am not going to say anything because I have enough infractions under my belt).

Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
That's not what I'm talking about and you know it. I'm talking about how the Left likes to use the word "WAR" in their diatribes to drum up fear for their opposition. It only works on "useful idiots" though.
I apparently have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Please, give me a few examples of where "lefties" have used the word "war" in their headlines for that purpose.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I apparently have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Please, give me a few examples of where "lefties" have used the word "war" in their headlines for that purpose.
And you call yourself a scholar?

"War on women"
"War on the middle class"
"War on science"
"War on working families"
"war on children"
"war on worker"
"war on students"

It's endless. Care to learn some more in today's class?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
And you call yourself a scholar?

"War on women"
"War on the middle class"
"War on science"
"War on working families"
"war on children"
"war on worker"
"war on students"

It's endless. Care to learn some more in today's class?
Searching this forum, I am as likely to find those phrases and phrases like them in the headlines and posts on the right as the left. This includes....

"War on women."
"War on Christmas"
"War on religion"
"War on small business"
"War on Rush Limbaugh"
"War on democracy"
"War on plastic bags"
"War on fossil fuels"

So it appears that whatever the substance or lack thereof of the resulting post, it is not obviously a left wing franchise.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies