Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 10:20 AM

158 posts, read 256,435 times

Advertisements

The south is the most backward part of the United States. And if you're black it is basically living in the pre-civil war days. I wouldn't be surprised if a black person could get life for smoking a cigarette in a non smoking area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 10:59 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
She would have been far better off shooting him than shooting into the ceiling, thus wrecklessly endangering other people in the apartment building. If she had shot him, she could have used "stand your ground." Instead, she's just another knucklehead who acquires a gun and doesn't know the law or how to use the weapon.
Wrong. She had escaped the situation, and CHOSE to put herself BACK into the situation. She could not use the stand her ground law, because she did not stand her ground, she left, which abated the situation, and then came back INTO the situation, and then chose to fire a gun in the direction of two children.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:56 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
If nothing else, I hope this story discourages women from going back to their loser abusers. I'm sure she's wishing she could do it all over again.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:07 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Of course there is the other side of the story...

Touré: Where's 'Stand Your Ground' for Marissa Alexander? | TIME Ideas | TIME.com

She was convicted by a jury who didn't believe her story but did believe the husbands side which the idiots tend to not let you know... read the third paragraph for the what the other side said happened...
From the linked article:

Gray’s deposition tells a similar story of the incident (although he has since then publicly provided a conflicting account). According to the deposition, Gray and Alexander were in their bedroom, and she was showing him pictures of their new baby on her cell phone. When she left the room, Gray began to scroll through Alexander’s texts and noticed that she had been texting her ex-husband, Lincoln. This, he said, sent him into a rage. He threatened to have her beaten up by friends. He blocked her with his body while she hit him. She went to their garage and retrieved a gun that she was licensed to have.

Gray said, “I knew that she couldn’t leave out the garage because the garage door was locked … because we was having problems with the garage and it wouldn’t go up.” Gray said Marissa Alexander returned, holding the gun with her hand down and told him to leave. He refused. He said, “She shot in the air one time,” and then he decided to leave. “She knew the relationships I been in and I put my hand on her before. I honestly think she just didn’t want me to put my hands on her anymore, so she did what she feel like she have to do to make sure she wouldn’t get hurt, you know.” He continued by saying, “The gun was never actually pointed at me. When she raised the gun down and raised it up, you know, the gun was never pointed at me.”

Old 03-07-2014, 10:29 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
It's common knowledge that you shoot to kill not to warn. If she really felt threatened, then she should have killed him. She screwed up.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:36 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Joe Biden, lawyer, legislator and vice presiden to fht USA has advised, to fire a warning shot Since no retraction of that statement has been made, it must be ok. All she has to do is show the prosecutor a video of the 2nd highest level person in the US saying it's okay.

We don't want to take your guns, just your life in exchange for administrative infractions and believing anything promised at the very highest levels of the Obamam administration.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:39 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This is unbelievable.
No, it's the law. Florida has very conservative laws. If you live I Florida DO NOT pick up a gun unless you understand the law. There is no such thing as "warning shot" in Florida. There is also no such thing as "parole" in Florida. There is a thing called "mandatory sentencing guidelines" which are very strict on gun violations, and if the guidelines say 20 years, it means 20 years and the judge has no say in it.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:50 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, it's the law. Florida has very conservative laws. If you live I Florida DO NOT pick up a gun unless you understand the law. There is no such thing as "warning shot" in Florida. There is also no such thing as "parole" in Florida. There is a thing called "mandatory sentencing guidelines" which are very strict on gun violations, and if the guidelines say 20 years, it means 20 years and the judge has no say in it.
It forces people to kill instead of warn.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:51 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Unlike the TM/Zimmerman case, this is truly an outrage. This is where I think protesting is completely and understandably warranted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies