Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
No thanks. I will stay at home. IMHO driving a motorcycle is safer.
Come on. 3615 motorcyclists died in the US in 2010. How many deaths from cruise ships that year? I can't find a simple list, but I think we all know the worldwide number is small, and many have nothing to do with cruise ship safety per se. People fall/jump overboard.

Even when the Costa Concordia sank, just eight people died.

I'm not suggesting cruise ships are as safe as they could or should be. But comparing to motorcycles is silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Did that for shock effect. Losing one cruise ship too far from land for a rescue could cost thousands of lives.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Come on. 3615 motorcyclists died in the US in 2010. How many deaths from cruise ships that year? I can't find a simple list, but I think we all know the worldwide number is small, and many have nothing to do with cruise ship safety per se. People fall/jump overboard.

Even when the Costa Concordia sank, just eight people died.

I'm not suggesting cruise ships are as safe as they could or should be. But comparing to motorcycles is silly.

Agreed. Statistically, there is hardly anything more dangerous than a motor vehicle. I think the only thing that tops it is spending time in one's bathroom at home.

As for the OP: is it a good idea? From an economic standpoint, it is probably a great idea. I've no doubt that people will be lining up to book passage just because.
I think it reeks of vanity personally, but, hey, if the man has/can raise the money, it's not better or worse than Sir Richard Branson building a space plane.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Deja Vu! Sounds like a recipe for another disaster.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I wouldn't have a problem with sailing on it. If I could take a boat ride and book a third class cabin, no problem. I'd expect to pay less than a standard cruise. I don't need all kinds of diversions regular cruises offer anyway. Give me a deck chair and some decent food and I'm happy.
But I'd want my own bathroom and the original third class steerage cabins only had sinks with running water. There were only three bathtubs for all of third class. Even second class cabins didn't have private bathrooms. That would be a problem. That virus that runs amok on cruise ships would be a big problem.
Would the ship run on coal? Thats a cheap enough fuel to use but could they do it these days?
BTW, My dad sailed on the original Queeen Mary. Him and 15,000 other guys on one trip during WW2.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:41 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
I would buy a ticket on it if it's an almost identical replica and if it was going to take the same route on the same days. I'm a Titanic freak who's obsessed with all things Titanic. I don't pretend to know why, lol.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:49 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
What Could Possibly Go Wrong? Aussie Billionaire to Build Titanic II | TheBlaze.com

Id be kinda freaked out getting on this thing. I mean I'm sure it will be amazing, and that it would be a wonderful adventure to get on it. But id be on the deck looking for icebergs.

Would you travel on the Titanic II?
I would LOVE to travel on it! Will it go NYC to London? We need to bring back trans Atlantic ships. With the technology we have now, icebergs should not be a problem.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:52 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
I wouldn't book a cruise on this ship, but there are several here on CD that I wouldn't mind seeing go on the maiden voyage...

Old 05-06-2012, 07:18 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Meh, clearly it won't be a carbon copy, for any number of reasons - no shipyard knows how to build a huge riveted hull any more, nobody has the necessary experience with large reciprocating steam engines any more, nobody would dream of working under conditions like 1912 stokers, and as was pointed out above, modern passengers do not mix with 1912 plumbing - to name a few.

It'll be a sort of movable Disney ride, "The Titanic Experience".

And no, I won't be on it. Not because I am not a cruise type of persons, but for matters of taste.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,230 times
I'm booking a ticket as soon as they go on sale!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies