Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So if we cut "Obamacare" down to 2 pages, THEN it would be acceptable?
We both know that to do what you suggest would change that whole power grab so much that it wouldn't be acceptable to any Democrats and wouldn't allow 15 appointed people (IBAP) to determine so many things they can do now.

The recent moves toward longer laws that try to cover everything possible has helped with the insertion of many things in them that really shouldn't be there.

Lets cut that thing to 2 pages so it can be shucked much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 11:16 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
We both know that to do what you suggest would change that whole power grab so much that it wouldn't be acceptable to any Democrats and wouldn't allow 15 appointed people (IBAP) to determine so many things they can do now.

The recent moves toward longer laws that try to cover everything possible has helped with the insertion of many things in them that really shouldn't be there.

Lets cut that thing to 2 pages so it can be shucked much easier.
Possibly one page, if we went with single payer instead. Can't get any simpler than that.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:18 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
In July of 1798, Congress passed – and President John Adams signed - “An Act for the Relief of Sick and Disabled Seamen.” The law authorized the creation of a government operated marine hospital service and mandated that privately employed sailors be required to purchase health care insurance.

Keep in mind that the 5th Congress did not really need to struggle over the intentions of the drafters of the Constitutions in creating this Act as many of its members were the drafters of the Constitution.

Congress Passes Socialized Medicine and Mandates Health Insurance -In 1798 - Forbes

Very interesting...
They would be labeled commies by today's republicans.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Possibly one page, if we went with single payer instead. Can't get any simpler than that.

Quote:
Oral arguments in the Supreme Court case about the constitutionality of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act are over, and liberals are very nervous. We won’t know the court’s ruling until June, but the justices asked lots of skeptical questions and it seems like a distinct possibility that part or all of the law will be struck down.

This is a prospect that fills the Left with dread and the Right with glee, but I don’t think either side has fully thought through the politics. Strike down Obamacare, and single payer instantly becomes the number one organizing cause for liberals in America. This Congress won’t pass a single payer insurance law, but you can bet Democrats would the next time they control both the legislative and executive branches.
How Obamacare's Rejection Would Lead to Single Payer - Forbes

Old 05-02-2012, 11:23 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
I read that link before, and if that's even remotely possible:..."here's a TOAST to the Rejection of Obamacare!!" (raises tall glass of Martini)

Old 05-02-2012, 11:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I think I could write a two page universal health care bill that would actually provide universal health care. I would start by calling it a UHC bill to save space. The medical and drug industries would hate me.

Then I would write a two, or maybe three, page Federal Personal Income Tax bill to replace our current mess. That would be even more fun. Even more people would hate me for this except for the 90% that would not have to pay income tax. The Business tax might run to ten pages of so.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:28 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I read that link before, and if that's even remotely possible:..."here's a TOAST to the Rejection of Obamacare!!" (raises tall glass of Martini)
I've read many articles and heard many interviews on the subject and it appears to be popular consensus that this will be the end result. Talk about getting to a desired outcome in a roundabout way... If only the powers that be would understand the concept of the shortest distance between two points is indeed a straight line.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I've read many articles and heard many interviews on the subject and it appears to be popular consensus that this will be the end result. Talk about getting to a desired outcome in a roundabout way... If only the powers that be would understand the concept of the shortest distance between two points is indeed a straight line.
The blue dog Dems would've never accepted it in a straight up fashion. They could be forgiven, but the real clown was Lieberman, who can't be.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think I could write a two page universal health care bill that would actually provide universal health care. I would start by calling it a UHC bill to save space. The medical and drug industries would hate me.

Then I would write a two, or maybe three, page Federal Personal Income Tax bill to replace our current mess. That would be even more fun. Even more people would hate me for this except for the 90% that would not have to pay income tax. The Business tax might run to ten pages of so.
I believe you 1000% percent. You probably could've done it in one page. But these politicians make every damn thing into quantum physics.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:34 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
My daughter is in a constitutional law class and her professor has said the same thing. I think the way he put it was, the GOP should be wary of unintended consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies