Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:16 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Sparks flew during a townhall meeting that Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., held yesterday at the University of Florida. Journalism student Andrew Meyer interrupted the speech, prompting police to drag him away from the microphone and shoot him with a Taser gun.

"He apparently asked several questions — he went on for quite awhile — then he was asked to stop," university spokesman Steve Orlando tells the Associated Press. "He had used his allotted time. His microphone was cut off, then he became upset."

Cops Taser student who questioned John Kerry - On Deadline - USATODAY.com (http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/09/cops-taser-stud.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 09:38 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,273 times
My friends didn't believe me a few years ago when I said we were quickly turning into a fascist police state. This is truly scary. It is time for me to start looking into immigration to Canada, where there is some real freedom of speech.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:35 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,121,785 times
Too police state-esque for me. Scary stuff.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:44 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
god save us from your followers

Old 09-19-2007, 12:37 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
My friends didn't believe me a few years ago when I said we were quickly turning into a fascist police state. This is truly scary. It is time for me to start looking into immigration to Canada, where there is some real freedom of speech.
Real freedom of speech in Canada? Only if you are a liberal. They have more restraints on speech then we do but the facists are hard at work in America.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Real freedom of speech in Canada? Only if you are a liberal. They have more restraints on speech then we do but the facists are hard at work in America.
you know that's not true..

Old 09-19-2007, 12:48 AM

I know it is true. I lived in Canada and go there every year for over 20 years.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I know it is true. I lived in Canada and go there every year for over 20 years.
well I have spent a good deal of time in canada as well.. and there is a big difference under canadian law.. that draws lines down hate speech and freedom of speech.. so if you wanted to spout hate.. you probably don't have as much freedom to do so in canada.. as you do here.. so.. I can see why you would say that.. considering most of your opinions originate from hate.. you are definetely an angry person...you wouldn't have much of a pulpit in canada...as you do on this board...

Old 09-19-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
well I have spent a good deal of time in canada as well.. and there is a big difference under canadian law.. that draws lines down hate speech and freedom of speech.. so if you wanted to spout hate.. you probably don't have as much freedom to do so in canada.. as you do here.. so.. I can see why you would say that.. considering most of your opinions originate from hate.. you are definetely an angry person...you wouldn't have much of a pulpit in canada...as you do on this board...
Canada will not be happy until every opposing opinion is deemed hate speech. It seems the ones that always shout out about free speech are the first ones to try and suppress free speech. I guess that comes from living lives of total confusion.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Canada will not be happy until every opposing opinion is deemed hate speech. It seems the ones that always shout out about free speech are the first ones to try and suppress free speech. I guess that comes from living lives of total confusion.
I guess its a matter of perspective... I don't take anything away from canada.. they are a great nation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies