Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times

Advertisements

Back to TOPIC

120 times it says in the Bible - God's promise - The World abides FOREVER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Oh she was... the teacher went absolutely bananas - nutso - freaked out!

My daughter came to me when she was in the first grade for show & tell and asked Daddy what do I do ??

I laughed and said - show the class the Red & black card trick.

Even though she was only 5; she had seen me perform this illusion many many times.

she went into school and handed a deck of cards to the teacher - Before she did that she took out two aces. A black ace and a red ace.

She put them side by side and shuffled the deck and handed it to the teacher.

She said. If you THINK a card is red - put it face down on the red pile

But If you THINK the card is black - put it face down on the black pile

YOU CAN DEAL IN ANY ORDER YOU WANT AS MANY AS YOU WANT IN EITHER PILE - just deal them any way you want.

The teacher held the deck the entire time. She did every move herself.

when they were finished the cards were simply turned over and every single card was correct! The class went nutz

That teacher was calling me up @ home for two weeks ! How did she do that ?? I said she didn't - she handed you the deck and you did it all yourself

The teacher replied Yes I know - but when I try it at home it doesn't work!!!
Well, I give you credit for admitting that you mainly deal in illusions.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:11 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Back to TOPIC

120 times it says in the Bible - God's promise - The World abides FOREVER!
I believe that! God's first sadistic creation was the human race, and for more sadism: Forever!

I know someone who just turned 100, and he's part of that 1 out of 7!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:20 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
In other news, 1 out of 5 people believe that the sun revolves around the Earth.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:46 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
anyone taking bets on what percentage of those 1 in 7 happen to be right wing republicans? I'm thinking 90% lol.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
ROFLMAO!! I need some popcorn for this show!

By the sound of your last sentence ; I couldn't care less if it happened tommorw.

clearly shows you are one very unhappy person!! & you are also
angry about something or someone. I can read a lot about you - just by the words you are using. If you actually tried... .. to spend time with the Lord; you would find out very quickly - He cares - But you won't even give HIM a chance!
LOL....you don't need to be a genius to figure that out. I'm a human, and my emotions run the human gamut. Of course i'm angry about something or someone. I'm also happy, sad, exuberant, morose, nonchalant, and occasionally, dangerously mad.

Got anymore revelatory diagnoses for me.

As for the whole "HIM" thing, no thanks. What's he gonna do for me? He didn't save my forefathers, did he?

I'm fine with the idea that i'm insignificant in the grand scheme.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep. That's the extent of it.

Jesus aint coming back. Neither is any other God or deity. There will be no Armageddon. No "chosen people" are going to be rescued to be lifted into heaven with the angels. You're simply gonna die, and go into the dirt where you'll disintegrate into nothingness. And about 70 or so years after you die, there will be no one left on earth that will ever remember that you were here.

About the worse i could see happening is the sun will implode one day and disappear, and i truly believe that will happen. But that's a billion years away i'm sure. Personally, i couldn't care less if it happened tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Wholeheartedly agree. There is no superatural being that will save us. Nor will there some sort of alien intervention. I believe it likely there is other life out there, but it is it intelligent? If it is, how intelligent? And if they are as advanced as us or even more than us, space is so vast we won't meet them anyway.

People just seem to want a savior of some sort. Some turn to a religious or supernatural savior. Some cling to the idea that an alien species is out waiting to save us. The most likely scenario is that we are all we have. No one will save us but us. We are it. There's no magic savior out there to wisk us away from all the ills we brought upon ourselves. So we need to get our act together and fix ourselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The truth is that nothing happens when you die. That's it. Game over. You lose.
i feel sorry for you fellows as i am a believer in god and his message for mankind. however i wont push my beliefs on you, that is not my way. i will however give you some food for thought.

lets play the what if game. lets say you guys are right, there is no god, and there is no afterlife, just an eternal dirt nap. if i lead my life believing in god, and trying to do the things he would want me to do, and when i die thats the end, then what have i lost? nothing.

on the other hand, if there is a god, and i lived my life not believing in him, just doing what i wanted, good bad or indifferent, then when i die what have i gained? again nothing, in fact i have lost everything.

if you choose not to believe that is your prerogative. but i just ask that you respect the fact that there are those of us who do believe, and to not denigrate our faith.

and as for the world ending in my lifetime, it may or may not happen. when it happens is gods timing not mine. i recognize that science tells us that our star will die in about 5.5 billion years, and it will take this planet with it. in fact life on this planet will be gone completely about a billion years before our sun dies and becomes a white dwarf. how much life the universe itself has left, that is open to speculation, but even its lifetime is limited ultimately.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Interesting numbers. Mass delusion or Intuition?

One in seven thinks end of world is coming: poll | Reuters
If it ends, then it ends.

[no biggie]

Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i feel sorry for you fellows as i am a believer in god and his message for mankind. however i wont push my beliefs on you, that is not my way. i will however give you some food for thought.

lets play the what if game. lets say you guys are right, there is no god, and there is no afterlife, just an eternal dirt nap. if i lead my life believing in god, and trying to do the things he would want me to do, and when i die thats the end, then what have i lost? nothing.

on the other hand, if there is a god, and i lived my life not believing in him, just doing what i wanted, good bad or indifferent, then when i die what have i gained? again nothing, in fact i have lost everything.

if you choose not to believe that is your prerogative. but i just ask that you respect the fact that there are those of us who do believe, and to not denigrate our faith.

and as for the world ending in my lifetime, it may or may not happen. when it happens is gods timing not mine. i recognize that science tells us that our star will die in about 5.5 billion years, and it will take this planet with it. in fact life on this planet will be gone completely about a billion years before our sun dies and becomes a white dwarf. how much life the universe itself has left, that is open to speculation, but even its lifetime is limited ultimately.
No one is denigrating anything. If your beliefs are true, then they can be questioned. It's when you're trying to hide something that the questioning becomes annoying. Well, i'm questioning it. If it's annoying, then you might be in need of some self-examination.

As i said earlier, i have come to grips with the ol' dirt nap. And until someone comes back and tells me otherwise, it's the only logical conclusion. I understand man's eternal quest to prove that this isn't all there is. Understandable....because life is so shockingly brief that folks can't fathom it. Well, i CAN fathom it, and i started doing so a long time ago.

This world isn't going anywhere until it's ready to go. That's not up to any deity. Generation after generation has felt that the world would end in their lifetimes. It's all part of Man's Ego. We think that we're the center of the universe during our lifetimes when in reality, we're nothing more than a raindrop falling on the Sahara. And time and time again, the Earth has been proven to be more resilient than mankind is. You'd think that after all these years, mankind would finally come to the conclusion that this cataclysmic event aint about to happen. Life is gonna go on without you and me for millions of years to come.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:44 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Interesting numbers. Mass delusion or Intuition?

One in seven thinks end of world is coming: poll | Reuters
Well, for those that don't know any better, they're just ignorant. For those that do, their just stupid. I'm frequently stunned at the idiocy of people, because I expect people to know better.

But they choose to believe their grand delusions instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies