Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:38 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,230 times

Advertisements

After taking heat for shipping jobs to China and contracting to employers with questionable labor conditions, Apple (rather publicly) took credit for creating more than half a million jobs in the U.S.

514,000 to be exact.

That figure included nearly 50,000 employees in its retail network and its corporate headquarters, where products are designed.

But it also included FedEx and UPS employees who deliver its products and employees at Corning who make glass for iPads and iPhones.

So Apple basically counts anyone vaguely associated with the company or its products as a job that Apple created.

But what about the competitors Apple has bumped off in its relentless move to the top? What about the once-profitable markets, products, and companies it has destroyed? What happened to those jobs?

Business Insider analyzed data on Bloomberg, went through dozens of 10-Ks, and read through layoff announcements to see how Apple's peers have done.
What we found:

Apple has destroyed nearly as many jobs as it helped create, eliminating some 490,570 positions.
Click here to see the jobs that Apple has destroyed >

Apple Has Destroyed American Jobs - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,574 posts, read 81,167,557 times
You can't blame Apple for eliminating the jobs of their competitors, that blame goes to those people that always have to buy the latest Apple product whether they need it or not.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Apple Has Destroyed 490,000 American Jobs
The march of progress eliminates jobs all the time.

[how many horse and buggy drivers are there these days?]

Old 05-02-2012, 08:22 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The march of progress eliminates jobs all the time.

[how many horse and buggy drivers are there these days?]
What you say is true, but I have a very uneasy feeling about "AMERICAN TECHNOLOGY IMPORTED FROM CHINA". How many more American jobs would they have created if they produced their products in the USA? But, an Apple CEO has stated that they will NEVER do any of the manufacturing in this country. I don't own an Apple, and I have no intention of ever buying one.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
What you say is true, but I have a very uneasy feeling about "AMERICAN TECHNOLOGY IMPORTED FROM CHINA". How many more American jobs would they have created if they produced their products in the USA? But, an Apple CEO has stated that they will NEVER do any of the manufacturing in this country. I don't own an Apple, and I have no intention of ever buying one.
Apple needs to maximize shareholder value, just like every other corp. Let the chips and jobs go where the aforementioned goal is best served. Its America's citizens job to be the place where they can maximize shareholder value.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
After taking heat for shipping jobs to China and contracting to employers with questionable labor conditions, Apple (rather publicly) took credit for creating more than half a million jobs in the U.S.

514,000 to be exact.

That figure included nearly 50,000 employees in its retail network and its corporate headquarters, where products are designed.

But it also included FedEx and UPS employees who deliver its products and employees at Corning who make glass for iPads and iPhones.

So Apple basically counts anyone vaguely associated with the company or its products as a job that Apple created.

But what about the competitors Apple has bumped off in its relentless move to the top? What about the once-profitable markets, products, and companies it has destroyed? What happened to those jobs?

Business Insider analyzed data on Bloomberg, went through dozens of 10-Ks, and read through layoff announcements to see how Apple's peers have done.
What we found:

Apple has destroyed nearly as many jobs as it helped create, eliminating some 490,570 positions.
Click here to see the jobs that Apple has destroyed >

Apple Has Destroyed American Jobs - Business Insider
I read or seen that, there were some other corp's also, that's part of the problem with the economy, of course it profits their stockholders so why should they care. IMO its wrong, an American company that takes jobs from Americans and pays slave wages to the other countries workers is something to be ashamed of. It wouldn't kill their profits to bring at least 1/2 the jobs home, which I doubt they ever will.

Its all greed, same as HP you can't talk to someone who speaks english that you can understand, some at HP freely admit the pay is way less than an American support center, millions of jobs lost here at home, offshore accounts, people just don't pay attention, keep buying the newest products, I'm sick of all of it.

Shameful wrong...but they could care less

Old 05-03-2012, 01:41 AM

475 posts, read 508,066 times
Who cares ? Apple products are great. I love my IMac, my MacBookAir and my Ipad. Once you go MAC you never go back to Windows.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:02 AM

327 posts, read 644,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
They'll never manufacture products in the US. It's too expensive and would drastically raise the price of their products in order to pay people in America more than they pay them in China.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:08 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Its America's citizens job to be the place where they can maximize shareholder value.
Where in the constitution does it state that? That's another country you're talking about.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:10 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
I read or seen that, there were some other corp's also, that's part of the problem with the economy, of course it profits their stockholders so why should they care. IMO its wrong, an American company that takes jobs from Americans and pays slave wages to the other countries workers is something to be ashamed of. It wouldn't kill their profits to bring at least 1/2 the jobs home, which I doubt they ever will.

Its all greed, same as HP you can't talk to someone who speaks english that you can understand, some at HP freely admit the pay is way less than an American support center, millions of jobs lost here at home, offshore accounts, people just don't pay attention, keep buying the newest products, I'm sick of all of it.

Shameful wrong...but they could care less
It's against the law to fiscally protect ourselves as a nation. Haven't you heard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies