U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:22 AM

8,260 posts, read 2,434,697 times

Advertisements

Seriously? So many dolts, it's amazing. I remember back in the 70s when Dobermans were the "dangerous dogs". Pit bulls aren't the problem, idiot owners are. Just like children, you raise them in a loving home and they are great dogs (yes I had one.) Dogs are a reflection of their master.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 02:30 AM

13,907 posts, read 5,288,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
If all it takes is a good owner why don't more folks have bears and tigers and lions etc. as pets? There is a reason for that too.
Quote:
Sure they're comparable. Ask a kid who's had their arm ripped off if they would rather have a pit bull do it or a tiger. I don't think they'd really care. They are dangerous no matter what you wild eyed pit bull lovers say. It's always the same thing too........"Oh we'll Daisy (the pit bull of course) has never hurt a fly. We were shocked when he ripped that guy's head clean off". Gimme a break. Folks can fight off a yipper dog not a pit bull. That is the difference hero.
You are 100% wrong in your assessments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There are no bad dogs...just bad owners...who do not appropriately train or socialize their dogs. Unfortunately, many people who want pitbulls...are the very folks who should not have them.
You are 100% correct in your assessment.

Yes, it's certainly true that temperament is herditary, but it all starts with bad owners who don't have the vaguest idea how to train a dog and make sure only good temperament is bred. That is true of any breed, but pit owners/breeders seem to be the lowest of the low when it comes to human society.

I raised and showed dogs for many years (not AmStaffs) and edited a breed specific magazine. I did a completely random survey where I called vets scattered around the country and asked them which breed they and their staffs were most afraid of. The majority, without hesitation, said, "Cocker Spaniels." AmStaffs/Pitties were not mentioned by a single vet.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 AM

8,260 posts, read 2,434,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You are 100% wrong in your assessments.

You are 100% correct in your assessment.

Yes, it's certainly true that temperament is herditary, but it all starts with bad owners who don't have the vaguest idea how to train a dog and make sure only good temperament is bred. That is true of any breed, but pit owners/breeders seem to be the lowest of the low when it comes to human society.

I raised and showed dogs for many years (not AmStaffs) and edited a breed specific magazine. I did a completely random survey where I called vets scattered around the country and asked them which breed they and their staffs were most afraid of. The majority, without hesitation, said, "Cocker Spaniels." AmStaffs/Pitties were not mentioned by a single vet.
Just remember to walk up the that kissing booth palms down. Once they get a sniff, the face licking is on!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:28 AM

15,147 posts, read 6,602,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Myself I would never own a pit bull because I would always be afraid it would end up biting someone and I couldn't get house insurance also.

A new ruling makes it easier for anyone attacked by a pit bull or pit bull mix in Maryland to take legal action against the dog's owner.

The Maryland Court of Appeals ruling declares pit bulls as a breed are "inherently dangerous," and the owner of a pit bull or a cross-bred pit that attacks is strictly liable for damages, as is any landlord who rents to a pit bull owner.

U.S. News - Maryland court finds pit bulls are 'inherently dangerous'

they are only dangerous if trained that way. I have owned pit bulls before that were just like the cuddly golden retriever.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 AM

15,254 posts, read 4,764,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Myself I would never own a pit bull because I would always be afraid it would end up biting someone and I couldn't get house insurance also.

A new ruling makes it easier for anyone attacked by a pit bull or pit bull mix in Maryland to take legal action against the dog's owner.

The Maryland Court of Appeals ruling declares pit bulls as a breed are "inherently dangerous," and the owner of a pit bull or a cross-bred pit that attacks is strictly liable for damages, as is any landlord who rents to a pit bull owner.

U.S. News - Maryland court finds pit bulls are 'inherently dangerous'
Maryland's motto is "The free State". Nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 AM

7,840 posts, read 3,574,632 times
They're not inherently dangerous. It's the bad owners that train them to be dangerous that are inherently dangerous.

When I was about 3-4 years old, we found a stray. Brought it into the vet and it was so sick they had to put it down. Of course, at that age, I was devastated. A nice lady there offered my mother a free puppy (she was selling these puppies but gave us one for free). We went to her farm, picked out my puppy and named her Meatball (Spaghetti and Meatballs was my favorite dish ).

Turns out Meatball was a pit bull; we didn't even know at the time. She grew up with me. She was loyal, kind, and so, so gentle. She was scared of our cat and the vet but wouldn't hesitate to put herself in harm's way if it was to protect me. Once it was a water moccasin; she took the bite right on the top of her head. Almost died from it.

At 15, she got cancer and we cared for her until it got too painful; at that point we did the humane thing. So no, I don't believe pit bulls are inherently dangerous. Really crappy people have caused this moniker of a 'bad dog' because they have made them dangerous.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 AM

5,527 posts, read 6,147,158 times
Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to December 26, 2011 - By Merritt Clifton - DogsBite.org

According to this study conducted between 1982 and 2011 Pit Bull attacks where 57% higher than the combination of pit bull mixes, rottweilers, their close mixes and wolf hybrids. Seems a little inherent to me.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM

204 posts, read 96,499 times
Anyone who thinks a certain breed is dangerous obviously knows zero about dogs. I worked at a kennel in high school, had pits all the time, and not one showed aggression. Labs and golden and cockers on the other hand, we had problems with them all the time. It is all in how they are raised. This is just another attempt by people to pass blame. How could it be a human problem when we have a perfectly good scapegoat in pit bulls. Ignorance is rampant.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 AM

2,157 posts, read 2,386,030 times
Big deal. For every bad story on these dogs, there is a good one too:

Web Exclusive: Pit Bull saves family from fire - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

Pit bull warns family, saves infant during fire

Family pit bull helps collar suspected car thief - latimes.com

Pit Bull Saves Woman With Brain Aneurysm, Given 'Neighbor Of The Year' Award (VIDEO)

Mystery Pit Bull Saves Brantford Woman, May Lose Own Life to BSL

Thursday Pet Spotlight: Pit Bull Saves Two Strangers

There are many many more out there. Just as there are stories of OTHER breeds doing deeds that people want to ban bullies over:

LiveLeak.com - Puppy Kills Baby

Pomeranian Kills 6-Week-Old Girl

Savage shih tzu mauls child

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-collie.htmll

BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Toddler mauled by dalmatian

Pet dog mauls four in Sydney

Pick your breed.. they all have had cases like these- do to OWNERS, not the breed

Quote:
Yep all the owners of pit bulls are bad owners??? Or only the ones who attack right? Like I said same line...........

"There've been no prior instances of this at all," Groce said. "It's like, Sissy, she would just jump up on your lap and lick your face, until we got the other puppy."

"Everybody gives a pit bull a bad name. It just depends on how they're raised," he said. "I think I raised them properly."

Elderly woman recovering after vicious pit bull attack | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

You want more read away.

Google

Old 05-03-2012, 08:59 AM

5,527 posts, read 6,147,158 times
I just realized that with all of the arguments here that it's the owner not the dog that you should be agreeing with this ruling. Basically it's putting the accountability on the owner of the Pit Bull which in turn is exactly what you are saying correct? Sure it's specific to Pit Bulls but if statistics show that those are the dogs most frequently attacking people by a large margin then wouldn't it be safe to start with the largest population of "offenders" (the owners of said Pit Bulls)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies