Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 12:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times

Advertisements

What is interesting about this debate....is how black and white it is.....pitbulls are either a menace or cute and cuddly. Dogs need to be evaluated on a case by case basis...there are issues with this breed, and they need monitoring and training. Yes...a pitbulls bite is more dangerous than a bite from a chihuahua.

But....it is not appropriate to judge a dog breed on the actions of some dogs. It is the same as judging as Islamics based on the actions of extremists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What is interesting about this debate....is how black and white it is.....pitbulls are either a menace or cute and cuddly. Dogs need to be evaluated on a case by case basis...there are issues with this breed, and they need monitoring and training. Yes...a pitbulls bite is more dangerous than a bite from a chihuahua.

But....it is not appropriate to judge a dog breed on the actions of some dogs. It is the same as judging as Islamics based on the actions of extremists.
A dog is a dog. Who cares if you discriminate against it BUT the law is intended to hold the owners of Pit Bulls more accountable for attacks which is what everyone on this board is saying should be the case.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Then the law should also start profiling...but that gets the thread off topic.

True. All dog owners need to be held accountable for their dog's behavior. Pit bulls should not be singled out. If my Basset was out running wild and bit someone...(highly unlikely)...then I should be held accountable.....regardless of the breed.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to December 26, 2011 - By Merritt Clifton - DogsBite.org

According to this study conducted between 1982 and 2011 Pit Bull attacks where 57% higher than the combination of pit bull mixes, rottweilers, their close mixes and wolf hybrids. Seems a little inherent to me.
80% of all Pit Bull attacks are mis-identified animals in the first place. So take that study with a grain of salt.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:17 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
80% of all Pit Bull attacks are mis-identified animals in the first place. So take that study with a grain of salt.
So I should take the study "with a grain of salt" based on you just throwing out there that 80% of all Pit Bull attacks are mis-identified without a link? I kind of find that funny. Not being a jerk or doubting you I just think that's kind of funny.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:40 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
So I should take the study "with a grain of salt" based on you just throwing out there that 80% of all Pit Bull attacks are mis-identified without a link? I kind of find that funny. Not being a jerk or doubting you I just think that's kind of funny.
I didn't bother because someone else would come along and discredit those studies too. Probably with cries of "*******s!" and "lol! and you really believe that?"

signed (Proud to have one of the smartest dogs around as a member of the family.)

Old 05-03-2012, 01:45 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
It's good that they're holding owners responsible, but I disagree with an entire breed being found "dangerous". I love pits, never been bitten by one, but there was that one Queensland Heeler that found my hand tasty...

****ty owners results in ****ty dogs. Good owners take the time to train and socialize their animals.
True. The problem is the people least likely to be humane & caring towards their dog are also the type most likely to want a "vicious" dog. The low lifes gravitate towards the dogs w/ the baddest rep, and that's the pitbull.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
If all it takes is a good owner why don't more folks have bears and tigers and lions etc. as pets? There is a reason for that too.

Apples and Oranges. The only similarity between bears, tigers lions and dogs is that they are all animals.

Dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years.

Pit bulls, like all "Bully" breeds are difficult to train, and need an owner that is diligent in training and properly socializing the dog; and making sure it is NOT running at large in the community.

Bad breeding, (breeding aggressive to aggressive) stupid a$$ owners (who do not properly train and control their dog) have ruined the breed.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:52 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Myself I would never own a pit bull because I would always be afraid it would end up biting someone and I couldn't get house insurance also.

A new ruling makes it easier for anyone attacked by a pit bull or pit bull mix in Maryland to take legal action against the dog's owner.

The Maryland Court of Appeals ruling declares pit bulls as a breed are "inherently dangerous," and the owner of a pit bull or a cross-bred pit that attacks is strictly liable for damages, as is any landlord who rents to a pit bull owner.

U.S. News - Maryland court finds pit bulls are 'inherently dangerous'
What difference does it make if someone looses a finger to a breed deemed dangerous or to a breed deemed not dangerous? Is there now an express line in the courthouse under a sign that expedites harm done by pitbulls?
"My pit is only 1/4 pit so I don't think it qualifies your honor."

Right handed people hit harder than left handed people so lets make it easier to prosecute right handed people.

Even dogs are indoctrinated to collectivism.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:52 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to December 26, 2011 - By Merritt Clifton - DogsBite.org

According to this study conducted between 1982 and 2011 Pit Bull attacks where 57% higher than the combination of pit bull mixes, rottweilers, their close mixes and wolf hybrids. Seems a little inherent to me.
I don't buy that for a second. The dogs most likely to bite and/or attack someone are toy dogs. All working dogs are bred for, among other things, obedience, even "fighting" dogs. Toy dogs on the other hand are bred for style, so there's little to no attempt to breed for obedient qualities.

The only reason they aren't viewed as negatively as pits are b/c their attacks are mostly superficial or not newsworthy.

I'd put it this way: I guarantee you know at least one person that's been bitten by a pug or chihuahua or some other crappy toy dog. Odds are you don't know someone that's been bitten by a pitbull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies