Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:08 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Surprisingly, Jews have never been expelled from Iran either. Even more surprisingly, Iran is one of the few Islamic countries that still has any noticeable Jewish population but I don't know why there are still Jews in Iran. If I was Jewish I'd get the hell out of Iran.
Jews have had a 2500 year presence in Iran. Reza Shah Pahlevi removed many restrictions of Jews during the 1920s and 30s and many of them prospered under him and later his son Mohammed. Many left of course after the Revolution of 1979. There are quite a few here in and around Los Angeles. Most of them indentify themselves as Iranians(or Persians)first, then Jews. Even their Synagogues use Farsi instead of Hebrew for prayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 10:33 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Clue: http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/affect.html

Yeah, that will show the world.

Israeli Nobel Prize Winner: Entrepreneurship is The Only Way to Maintain Peace. - Forbes

Let us not even bother to consider that Israelis actually make contributions to science, technology, and medicine which make the world better for everyone.

Remind me again, how many nobel prize winners have come out of the P.A.?
The Israeli people as a whole are intelligent, productive, and MANY have condemned their own government. Same with Cubans. Yet we are fine penalizing Cuba, hoping that it will bring change there. The difference is that Israel IS a democratic country -- so long as you're Jewish -- and it can change if the rest of the world begins penalizing it for the way it treats its Arabs.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You are the one who needs a grammar lesson. "Effect change" is the correct usage. USUALLY affect is a verb and effect is a noun, but when used in the sense "to bring about" effect is correct as a verb.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:36 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Jews have had a 2500 year presence in Iran. Reza Shah Pahlevi removed many restrictions of Jews during the 1920s and 30s and many of them prospered under him and later his son Mohammed.
Jews did not face any restrictions under Habib Bourguiba's rule in Tunisia and Bourguiba regarded himself as protector of the Jews, even sending in the military to protect synagogues, and Tunisia, unlike Iran, did not have maniacs in charge. Its recent revolution appears to be the only successful revolution in the Islamic world, at least the only one in which genuine democracy with respect for human rights is taking root. Yet even before the revolution Tunisia had very, very few Jews left.

I can understand why Morocco and Turkey still have Jewish populations (although much reduced from the past). I can't understand why there are still any Jews left in Iran. Morocco and Turkey do not have crazy governments like Iran does. (While I am not a fan of Turkey's AK Party they're more like GOP "family values" types than they are like Islamic fundies.)

Quote:
Many left of course after the Revolution of 1979. There are quite a few here in and around Los Angeles. Most of them indentify themselves as Iranians(or Persians)first, then Jews. Even their Synagogues use Farsi instead of Hebrew for prayer.
Being from West L.A. originally (and having been in high school when the Iranian Revolution happened) I am very aware of Jews and other religious minorities being overrepresented in the Iranian diaspora in the U.S. compared to their share of Iran's population. I also am very aware of Iranian Jews in particular being attracted to Los Angeles. I do not blame them for leaving Iran and coming to the U.S. Not sure why they flocked to southern California.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:50 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Jews did not face any restrictions under Habib Bourguiba's rule in Tunisia and Bourguiba regarded himself as protector of the Jews, even sending in the military to protect synagogues, and Tunisia, unlike Iran, did not have maniacs in charge. Its recent revolution appears to be the only successful revolution in the Islamic world, at least the only one in which genuine democracy with respect for human rights is taking root. Yet even before the revolution Tunisia had very, very few Jews left.

I can understand why Morocco and Turkey still have Jewish populations (although much reduced from the past). I can't understand why there are still any Jews left in Iran. Morocco and Turkey do not have crazy governments like Iran does. (While I am not a fan of Turkey's AK Party they're more like GOP "family values" types than they are like Islamic fundies.)

Being from West L.A. originally (and having been in high school when the Iranian Revolution happened) I am very aware of Jews and other religious minorities being overrepresented in the Iranian diaspora in the U.S. compared to their share of Iran's population. I also am very aware of Iranian Jews in particular being attracted to Los Angeles. I do not blame them for leaving Iran and coming to the U.S. Not sure why they flocked to southern California.
Iran has an Jewish MP in government even though they represent an very tiny percentage of Iran population. Jews are free to practise their religion over there. Iran government has no problem with Jews that live in Iran and it sees Zionism as evil and not part of the Jewish religion.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:47 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Of course not. Most Jews in Israel are bigots, mean natured, and cruel.
That is an interesting comment in light of the fact Palestinian LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) people are routinely persecuted and Killed in their own communities. Young LGBT people have to flee ... where? ... to Israel, to be safe. In fact Israel is the only country in the Middle East where gay people have civil rights and are respected.

Co-incidentally this very weekend here in Philadelphia is Equality Forum weekend, the biggest gay civil rights networking series of events anywhere in the US - with dozens of panels, workshops, fundraising parties, etc. This year Israel is being honored by the Equality Forum for being one of the most progressive countries in the world when it comes to the rights of LGBT people. The keynote speaker to the Equality Forum fundraising dinner is the ambassador of Israel.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:52 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Oh, and BTW ...

I would much rather be a Palestinian Arab living either in Israel or the Palestinian Territories, than a Syrian Arab in Syria, a Coptic Christian living in Egypt, or any kind of person living in Libya, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Sudan, etc.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:54 AM

327 posts, read 644,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Jews have had a 2500 year presence in Iran. Reza Shah Pahlevi removed many restrictions of Jews during the 1920s and 30s and many of them prospered under him and later his son Mohammed. Many left of course after the Revolution of 1979. There are quite a few here in and around Los Angeles. Most of them indentify themselves as Iranians(or Persians)first, then Jews. Even their Synagogues use Farsi instead of Hebrew for prayer.
There are still Jews in Iran and they are allowed to openly practice their religion. They are a lot more progessive than say Saudi Arabia.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:02 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You'll reach for any excuse to shut down debate. I don't care whatsoever that "Israeli Firster" doesn't meet your approval.

You don't want dual loyalties discussed by American citizens so you will try and smear them with your standard anti-semite smears.

Having dual citizenship/loyalties in the US is both legal and ethical.

What's not ethical is you trying keep people for discussing your dual loyalties as if that's some taboo subject.

Tough. Israeli firsters blind loyalty to Israel is harming this country and we're going to discuss that.

You can whine all you want about your claimed special victimhood status that grants you some sort of license to control views you don't agree with.
Just because I refuse to support the Palestinians in their horrifying quest for a judenrein Muslim hellhole does not make me guilty of treason. I don't grind up Christian babies to make matzo or poison wells either.

You words are nothing more than that of the classical anti-Semite. I am not shutting down debate. I am merely pointing that out. I am truly sorry you are so blinded by your hatred of Jews and Israelis you are unable to see the vile implications of your very own thoughts.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
That is an interesting comment in light of the fact Palestinian LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) people are routinely persecuted and Killed in their own communities. Young LGBT people have to flee ... where? ... to Israel, to be safe. In fact Israel is the only country in the Middle East where gay people have civil rights and are respected.

Co-incidentally this very weekend here in Philadelphia is Equality Forum weekend, the biggest gay civil rights networking series of events anywhere in the US - with dozens of panels, workshops, fundraising parties, etc. This year Israel is being honored by the Equality Forum for being one of the most progressive countries in the world when it comes to the rights of LGBT people. The keynote speaker to the Equality Forum fundraising dinner is the ambassador of Israel.
the IDF blackmails Palestinian gays. That's why US lgbt activists have boycotted Israel as this video from just a few days ago explains.

This woman is remarkably well informed, highly intelligent speaker. She explains why she's boycotting the very forum you are bragging about.

http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/...l-and-will-not

also this is a funny Israeli propaganda video their intelligence services produced to influence gay US citizens..(that's right, they use their propaganda on US citizens) .they got caught, and embarrassed.

http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/t...be-fake-122532

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snoe6O0f6Cc

Last edited by padcrasher; 05-05-2012 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies