Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 05:55 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
One supposes Disney should do away with their gay days since the southern baptists get in such a snit about it every year, based on your logic.
Funny how they dont.
I'm not mixing emotion with business at all, but thanks for being concerned.

"Gay days"?

Yes, of course they should stop them at Disney. That is a terrible marketing plan that alienates a group of consumers and does little to attract new consumers.

You ARE mixing business and emotion. Why do you think that many white business owners ignored segregation laws and served blacks? It made good business sense to do so. They obviously had done a market analysis and determined that attracting more black customers would benefit their bottom line relative to those customers lost who were "offended".

If a very large group is "offended", it is a terrible business plan. I personally like Ellen. I think she is quick witted and funny. I do not care whether she is gay or not. However, it appears as though many people who shop at Penny's DO CARE.

Again- bad business plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 05:57 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Some things can't be quantified in a "study".
And just because bigoted people say something is so doesn't make it a fact.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:58 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Just took a quick look at this particular ad and, truthfully, it doesn't bother me. It wouldn't stop me from shopping at JCP (although I hardly shop there anyway.) Its subtle. Its not targeting kids. Its not sexual. Its not crude. Its not attacking anyone's religion. If the Homosexual Community were smart, they'd replace the Dan Savages of their "cause" with the marketers behind this campaign.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:12 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
"Gay days"?

Yes, of course they should stop them at Disney. That is a terrible marketing plan that alienates a group of consumers and does little to attract new consumers.

You ARE mixing business and emotion. Why do you think that many white business owners ignored segregation laws and served blacks? It made good business sense to do so. They obviously had done a market analysis and determined that attracting more black customers would benefit their bottom line relative to those customers lost who were "offended".

If a very large group is "offended", it is a terrible business plan. I personally like Ellen. I think she is quick witted and funny. I do not care whether she is gay or not. However, it appears as though many people who shop at Penny's DO CARE.

You've never heard of Gay Days at Disney?
Really?
Started around 95, it pulls approximately 150K gay visitors per day while it runs, not including straights.
You are aware that the LGBT community has more disposable income than straight, right?
I've run my own interior design business for over a decade, and have turned a nice profit all that time........
So, I do believe I know when I am mixing emotion and business.
My field is inherently fraught with emotion, so I know of which I speak.
If you go and look at JCPS stock numbers, which I posted last night, you will see they are doing just fine, so all your worrying is for naught.
I like Ellen, too, people just need to get over themselves, you know?
BTW, I do believe this is the first civil discussion we have ever had, I find it quite pleasant, and I thank you for it.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:36 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Most sane people know that two women raising a child is not as optimal as a man and a woman raising a child and that the attempt at the normalization of this paradigm is stupid and destructive.

The Million Moms are right.
Or not:

Study: Children of Lesbians May Do Better Than Their Peers

The authors found that children raised by lesbian mothers — whether the mother was partnered or single — scored very similarly to children raised by heterosexual parents on measures of development and social behavior.

These findings were expected, the authors said; however, they were surprised to discover that children in lesbian homes scored higher than kids in straight families on some psychological measures of self-esteem and confidence, did better academically and were less likely to have behavioral problems, such as rule-breaking and aggression.

Read more: Kids with Lesbian Parents May Do Better Than Their Peers - TIME

Old 05-04-2012, 08:43 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
They will be known as JCPenniless.
Keep dreaming... it seems they're even MORE popular now, thanks to all the media coverage this hate group keeps giving them. I don't know about you (actually I do), but I'll be proud to support JCP from now on - in fact, I might just go shopping there this weekend.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:43 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I often wonder how many members OMM has...their facebook page says just shy of 47,000 people like them, although I realize they could have members who aren't on fb. I suspect their name is just wishful thinking. I also suspect that they give just as many people who don't shop at JCP a reason to start as they do people who will boycott.

I think I may need to go purchase some JCP window treatments...
When OMM got their collective knickers in a bunch over Ellen D being the spokeperson for JCP, Ellen said:

"There are only about 40,000 on their facebook page. They're rounding up to the nearest million........and I get that."

Ellen Addresses Her JCPenney Critics - YouTube

Old 05-04-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
"Gay days"?

You can see kshe's comments above, but it hasn't hurt them in the nearly 20 years it's been happening... we also have "gay day" at Six Flags Marine World (in Vallejo CA), and it's always a very popular event! Bad marketing plan? Sure doesn't seem to be the case, as neither Disney nor Six Flags are hurting for business - even in these rough economic times. Actually seems like a GOOD plan, since the gay community has more disposable income than the straight community overall. Plus it draws in many straight folks too, since lots of us have gay friends or simply want to support the cause. It's not like only gay people are allowed to attend, FYI.

Quote:
And you don't see how that logic also applies to "serving" the GLBTQ community? More people are supportive than offended by this, and they obviously did their own marketing analyses to determine this was a good plan. How is excluding any demographic a good plan? Your logic is highly flawed here.

Quote:

Again, it doesn't seem to have hurt them one bit. And it's not a "very large group" that's offended, it's mostly just this pathetic SMALL group of women... they don't actually have a million members, in fact they don't even hit six figures. Even the most virulent anti-gay conservatives here don't seem to mind, and just about everyone in the country loves Ellen DeGeneres. Do you have proof that it's a bad marketing plan, i.e. has their business suffered since Ellen became a spokesperson & this ad was run? I don't think that is the case. Gay and lesbian folks shop too (possibly more than straight folks percentage-wise), and I think it's a great idea to make them feel included as a target demographic. Do you feel NO companies should ever hire a gay person for their ads, or what?

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-04-2012 at 09:09 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
When OMM got their collective knickers in a bunch over Ellen D being the spokeperson for JCP, Ellen said:

"There are only about 40,000 on their facebook page. They're rounding up to the nearest million........and I get that."
LMAO... she's great, isn't she?

If this pathetic group of 40,000 thinks they can control what private businesses do, they have another thing coming. We should start a counter-protest, and do ALL of our shopping at JCPenney! Not only that, but we should also start demanding things from conservative-run companies, and see how they like that. They made a big mistake messing with Ellen, as she has fans from every end of the spectrum - gay, straight, male, female, liberal, and conservative alike. It's on!!!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
B.S.

The overwhelming majority of inmates in our prisons are from fatherless homes.
Fatherless SINGLE PARENT homes, and usually of the lower income demographics... at least get the facts straight, if you're going to call somebody's statement "BS." Have you seen the studies on dual-parent gay families? There's one link posted above, and most other studies show they do just fine.

There is a huge difference between a poor single mother, and two lesbians or gay men who are (statistically proven) generally in the higher income brackets - and who typically wait until age 30+ to have children, unlike your typical low-income single mother. This isn't about having a man & woman in the home, it's more about economic disparities and how they affect a child's upbringing. Have you ever studied sociology?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies