Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I thought the standard conservative position says that workers effectively pay for the program in the form of lower wages.
Of course they do. How many times have we listened to the loonies go on and on about the $60 hourly wage of an union auto worker? I'm guessing Frank wants you and I to forget that that high hourly rate, INCLUDED EVERYTHING, employer paid benefits, employer paid taxes, and the kitchen sink.

With my wife carrying my health care insurance I was always able to negotiate a higher hourly rate for not taking their insurance. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 09:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
If like the leftwingers claim -- the economy is doing extremely well, then why are so many people on food stamps and Medicaid and even many still collecting unemployment handouts? Is the left now admitting these people are just lazy and don't feel like working for their living?

If Obama has created so many millions new jobs, then why are only illegals coming to get them apparently and so many Americans are still not working?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,976 times
Lies, Damned Lies and Government Jobs Data

The lying never stops!! No wonder America is going down the drain!!

Old 05-05-2012, 11:20 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
If you think any president is going to improve your career situation you are in trouble.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If like the leftwingers claim -- the economy is doing extremely well, then why are so many people on food stamps and Medicaid and even many still collecting unemployment handouts? Is the left now admitting these people are just lazy and don't feel like working for their living?

If Obama has created so many millions new jobs, then why are only illegals coming to get them apparently and so many Americans are still not working?
No one is claiming he economy is doing extremely well. It's all a matter of perspective based on the recent past. At some point of being unemployed the problem is you. Now the question is that 1 year? 2 years? Your income and employment value is determined by the job market. I think many are having a hard time realizing they were likely overvalued during the bubble years.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:23 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I definitely think a more business oriented president can improve alot of careers and even encourage the start of many.Even the life of those on fixed income will improve has this recession and its FEd polciies allow more normal interest rates. Fixed income and savers are being crush by the low rates policies.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I definitelt think a more business orientated president can improve alot of careers and even encourage the start of many.
That is what Florida voters thought about Rick Scott......

Old 05-05-2012, 12:01 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No ;the stimulus was sold to congress as a massivce infrastrucure bill creating huge number of jobs. Remmeber all those shovel ready jobs.It bascailly was a slush fund to provide funding for politcally favored groups like is seen when looking at where it went. Never was a infrastructure program with the jobs at all. It ended up being a waste as we saw those gropus being layed off two years later and griping.It didn't provide any stimulus as promised ;it rewarded polical groups.One reason even many Democrats wouldn't support such unregulated spending again in any stimulus.Very much like the second half of TARP which was left for housing by Bush. Instead alot of it went to automakers and unions in so called controlled bankrupsy.Anyone remmeebr the so called Geithner husinfg promised shotly after the administration came into being. Its was supposed to be a priavte /government program but it went to nothig once private investors saw now bondholder were screwed by the administration in the autpmakers bankrupsy.
I understand how it was sold, and I'm telling you how it is. Politics is politics. Surely you're intelligent enough to understand the difference.

The shovel-ready jobs were, in fact, put into effect. There were construction projects done all over the country. But they were short-term projects. There are many more projects that could be done. A mere $500 billion dollars in actual spending over the course of several years isn't much. It isn't an ongoing, renewable commitment like that of say the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. It's not a renewable, ongoing commitment of Medicare C, which added another $600 billion to the debt - and continues to grow. You're saying nothing of that, are you? You're hung up on the highly subjective, biased belief that only democrats spend money, and that only democrats are responsible for deficits and you completely ignore the most fiscally irresponsible combination of a congress and president in perhaps the entire history of this country, referring to the period from 2002 to 2008 when congress funded two wars, added to medicare, and simultaneously lowered tax rates on the highest income earners and corporations. And oh yeah, an unregulated economy that resulted in the worst economic crisis since 1932. You're saying not one single, solitary thing about that period, and instead you focus only on the convenient fact that republicans left a democratic president holding the bag. Now why is that? Is it because the truth is inconvenient? Is it because you're having a hard time understanding the difference between inconvenient timing, consequences, and cause and effect?

Get real.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:06 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It is not workers demand for products and services or the number of dollars they are paid which drives consumer demand.

What drives consumer demand is the buying power of the dollars workers earn.

Borrowing to fund an ever expanding government, how ever well intended, only reduces the buying power of the currency making the problem of inflation and economic stagnation worse.
I don't necessarily disagree with the above. I think spending cuts should be made; the issue is when to make them. It's better to make spending cuts when the private sector can handle the jobs losses.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:35 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with the above. I think spending cuts should be made; the issue is when to make them. It's better to make spending cuts when the private sector can handle the jobs losses.

This is the sort of reasoning which has given us fifteen trillion in federal debt and a failing economy.

When is devaluing the currency good for the economy and deficit spending the answer to economic downturns?

How does making the money consumers have worth less grow the economy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies