Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:50 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,939,168 times

Advertisements

By and large younger teens are terrible employees. Unreliable, impulsive and hard to schedule due to school, sports, their ability to get to and from work, and social lives. Given the option to hire an immigrant or other adult who will take a crappy service job because they need it, or a teenager who wants less than part-time work for gas money, who do you think a manager is going to pick?

And where is OP's proof that the decline in employed teenager is due to minimum wage and child labor laws? OP should feel bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 12:52 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,389,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Another perfect example of warped Conservative rhetoric that just circles back on itself.

You support off-shoring of jobs in the name of capitalism and corporate profits, then call the people who lose their jobs leeches. So in order to not be leeches, they get any job they can to pay their bills, even if that job is at a fast food restaurant.

So now when min wage needs to raised to allow these adults to support themselves so they're not dependent on the "gov't handouts," you complain about these adults taking jobs from kids.

And if these adults didn't want to work at McDonalds you'd once again call them lazy leeches for depending on the gov't.
Offshoring is not the cause of all these problems. In fact, offshoring is not all bad - it helps to bring costs down, helping companies to expand and hire more American workers and/or helping to allow companies to reduce the price of their products and services - allowing consumers to spend more of their money elsewhere.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,077,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Offshoring is not the cause of all these problems. In fact, offshoring is not all bad - it helps to bring costs down, helping companies to expand and hire more American workers and/or helping to allow companies to reduce the price of their products and services - allowing consumers to spend more of their money elsewhere.
Even if that's true, once you accept it, you've lost all grounds to complain about newly unemployed adults looking for work wherever they can, including fast foods restaurants. You've also lost any grounds to complain about adults supplementing their new low-wage income w/ Fed assistance, especially if you oppose raising the min wage.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 PM

4,321 posts, read 5,105,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
By and large younger teens are terrible employees. Unreliable, impulsive and hard to schedule due to school, sports, their ability to get to and from work, and social lives. Given the option to hire an immigrant or other adult who will take a crappy service job because they need it, or a teenager who wants less than part-time work for gas money, who do you think a manager is going to pick?

And where is OP's proof that the decline in employed teenager is due to minimum wage and child labor laws? OP should feel bad.

I guess the OP was speculating about the reasons. I think one factor is a cultural shift, in my youth even rich kids worked, nowadays parents are much more willing to meet their kid's (and young adults) financial needs.

I 'speculate' that a huge chunk of the unemployed are being supported by parents these days.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 PM

20,561 posts, read 19,218,583 times
Quote:

The current trade relationship is being maintained artificially with financial assets, mostly in the form of US treasuries. This saps demand for material assets that spring from US labor and artificially increases demand for off shore labor. It serves a minority interest in both countries, the financial class here and the merchant class there.

Since this is top down and not market based, its vulnerable to rapid changes anytime the game changes. It all rides on geo politics. China is in no better shape since marginal declines are deadly to the merchant class being dependent on economic profits through endless expansion. That is course the problem with neo liberalism that cherry picks classical liberalism for the free trade delicacy while they have no place for the hooves and intestines of real economics. They are violating economic principle elsewhere.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:06 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,673,143 times
crap...Both of my kids work. Doesn't matter That they don't have too.... I don't want some elitsit lay about wait to work till they get a masters at 22 college pos liveing in my house.... My daughter babysits, mows lawn and bales hay for people (suck it dept of labor) My son worked in a car shop at 16 and is now back from the active deployment at age 20 going to college.....

Old 05-04-2012, 01:07 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,703,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Bingo. These jobs are mostly held by immigrants.
Post picture next time. We should be able to tell, no?

Old 05-04-2012, 01:08 PM

20,561 posts, read 19,218,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
crap...Both of my kids work. Doesn't matter That they don't have too.... I don't want some elitsit lay about wait to work till they get a masters at 22 college pos liveing in my house.... My daughter babysits, mows lawn and bales hay for people (suck it dept of labor) My son worked in a car shop at 16 and is now back from the active deployment at age 20 going to college.....

I wonder if people who don't like teens flipping burgers are also against immigration?

Though in a perfect world I'd have them roasting vegetables.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,030,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I see that as a good thing. I didn't need to have a job until I had a masters degree (and I was 22 at the time). The focus was entirely on building a career, not flipping burgers.

What????? Are you kidding me? You WOULDN'T HAVE A JOB IF EVERYONE WENT TO COLLEGE GENIUS! My god the level of understanding Americans/people have about basic economics is horrid. What the hell do you think would happen to your precious masters degree if every tom dick and jane went to college? You'd be flipping burgers!!!!!!!!!!!

The entire US labor market has been engineered for this. You think there is a free market in America where those that work hard, and keep their nose to the grindstone will succeed and reap the fruits or their labor? Pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps? LMAO! Those days ARE GONE.....GONE BABY| GONE!!!!!

American "capitalists" if you want to argue that is what they are, have engineered the global labor markets to their benefit. They have put a price on high skill jobs here at home by making everyone compete for them on a colassal never before seen scale, pushing young people into debt servitude by "going to college" in order to polish their resumes so they can get that "corporate" job the same colleges and employers are telling them they need in order to punch numbers on a computer screen or sit in a plastic cubicle all day shoveling money into and out of accounts for $100K a year. You see 99% of the jobs out there don't require a college degree. A little common sense, work ethic, intelligence and some good ol fashioned on the job training is all you need for most jobs.

The engineering of labor markets by the elite has destroyed low and medium skilled jobs in this country and they've all been sent overseas. Yeah and the ones that are supposedly coming back? Aren't paying a living wage in the 21st century. A strong economy provides a stable job and stable source of income FOR ALL levels of society!!!!!! A strong country has a mix of people working all types of jobs while trying to better their lives. America is degrading into a cesspool of the haves and have nots all orchestrated by the government in bed with their corporate lackeys.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:17 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,030,605 times
Quote:

Yeah and that's exactly what businesses do.............maybe in LALA land where you come from! In the real world businesses do neither. In fact most of the time costs end up going up as businesses get bigger and demand for their product increases. I mean afterall those fancy new Ipods should be getting cheaper right? Well yeah you can buy an older one with less features and less capability, but they aren't nearly as "cool" as the newer ones that Apple is brainwashing you to buy for twice as much!!! Corporations have no loyalty to anyone. Not Americans, not America, not you, not me, not mother nature, NO ONE! They are a cancer that destroys everything in its path for the sole sake of profit. An infinite search for growth and profit on a finite planet...........BRILLIANT I TELL YA!

What are these companies going to do when they have exhausted all possible resources on this earth? Just close up shop and say well we had a good run.......oops there are no more trees to cut down. Oops the world's oceans are too polluted to fish and use...Ooops..the soil is too degraded to grow anything... Ooops we've run out of oil and can't make all our cheap plastic chit anymore!!! LMAO! Human beings are so stupid. Thousands of years in existence and we still crap where we eat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies