Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 03:33 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

Whether or not TV ministries are all a con job or not is a tough one to think over.
There are a lot of folks- the elderly, the shut-ins, those living in very remote areas, and in many other circumstances that are getting a regular dose of spiritual comfort from these preachers. Some, for sure, are not sophisticated enough to realize they are providing the preacher with very big money arriving in many small amounts , and I'm sure there are those who do know this, but do not care.

They get something in return, I think. Whether or not that return is great enough to deserve a monetary reward, especially a big one, could be debated endlessly. I know I would never give a nickel to any of them, but that's just me.

if I find some of the preachers despicable- I particularly thought that Oral Robert's announcement that God was gonna kill him if he didn't come up with the $1 million his failing college needed was disgusting- it is not for me to say for someone else to believe as I do. If someone else believes salvation comes through a dollar bill and I don't, so be it.

Liberty is a prickly thing. It allows us the equal opportunity to be just as wise or as foolish was we are or want to be, and no one else gets to decide matters like this for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 04:27 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Whether or not TV ministries are all a con job or not is a tough one to think over.
There are a lot of folks- the elderly, the shut-ins, those living in very remote areas, and in many other circumstances that are getting a regular dose of spiritual comfort from these preachers. Some, for sure, are not sophisticated enough to realize they are providing the preacher with very big money arriving in many small amounts , and I'm sure there are those who do know this, but do not care.

They get something in return, I think. Whether or not that return is great enough to deserve a monetary reward, especially a big one, could be debated endlessly. I know I would never give a nickel to any of them, but that's just me.

if I find some of the preachers despicable- I particularly thought that Oral Robert's announcement that God was gonna kill him if he didn't come up with the $1 million his failing college needed was disgusting- it is not for me to say for someone else to believe as I do. If someone else believes salvation comes through a dollar bill and I don't, so be it.

Liberty is a prickly thing. It allows us the equal opportunity to be just as wise or as foolish was we are or want to be, and no one else gets to decide matters like this for us.
You are so right. TV church is a mighty comfort to some people. I have nothing good to say about hardly any of them but........to each his own.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:57 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
I've often wondered about the annual budget for Mrs Crouch's hair.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:46 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The only tv pastor I follow is Dr David Jeremiah - Turning Point.

I never even heard of him and that's, sadly a clue that he may be one of the sincere, honest ones.

The only preacher-man that gets our money is at www.fhu.com . I was sold on him in the late seventies when I heard him on radio in South Texas. Not plastic, doesn't perform, and doesn't do sermons. He sits among folks and talks as nonchelantly as you and I would.

He says he is in the "business" to run himself OUT of business. Says that if a church really can do what it claims, then it brings us or points us to God, and if we truly have Him then we don't need any church. THAT HONESTY!! Also, the dude ain't rich by far.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:14 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
I never even heard of him and that's, sadly a clue that he may be one of the sincere, honest ones.

The only preacher-man that gets our money is at www.fhu.com . I was sold on him in the late seventies when I heard him on radio in South Texas. Not plastic, doesn't perform, and doesn't do sermons. He sits among folks and talks as nonchelantly as you and I would.

He says he is in the "business" to run himself OUT of business. Says that if a church really can do what it claims, then it brings us or points us to God, and if we truly have Him then we don't need any church. THAT HONESTY!! Also, the dude ain't rich by far.
Then he's seriously and honestly wrong. I looked all over the site and all I see is New-Agey self-empowerment.

I don't know what he's "preaching," but it ain't Christianity.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:11 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
tbn is doing the same thing the old ptl(pass the loot) network did in the 80s and 90s before they were caught in their scandals. remember jim and tammy fae baker?
Fun fact: Jim and Tammy Faye were the original partners in TBN along with Paul and Jan Crouch.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:52 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
TBN has been operational for decades. Since the 1970's, I believe, and on local TV for that long. Only with the advent of cable TV in the '80's were they able to go national.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
IMHO - MAMMON took over the Christian Church sometime in the 4th or 5th century and has been operating the biggest protection racket in history ever since. The deal is simple; provide belief, obedience and wealth and you will go to Heaven. Think for yourself, and keep your money to yourself, and you will go the Hell.

These mega churches have just taken the idea and modern technology and raised the level of fraud to the point where even the blind followers can see the real master their preachers are following.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies