Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:54 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,152,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Of course there is always somebody to blame.........

"Consider the events surrounding the operation. A recently disclosed memorandum from then-CIA Director Leon Panetta shows that the president's celebrated derring-do in authorizing the operation included a responsibility-escape clause: "The timing, operational decision making and control are in Admiral McRaven's hands. The approval is provided on the risk profile presented to the President. Any additional risks are to be brought back to the President for his consideration. The direction is to go in and get bin Laden and if he is not there, to get out."
Which is to say, if the mission went wrong, the fault would be Adm. McRaven's, not the president's. Moreover, the president does not seem to have addressed at all the possibility of seizing material with intelligence value—which may explain his disclosure immediately following the event not only that bin Laden was killed, but also that a valuable trove of intelligence had been seized, including even the location of al Qaeda safe-houses. That disclosure infuriated the intelligence community because it squandered the opportunity to exploit the intelligence that was the subject of the boast."

Now the great orator runs around slapping himself on the back for what a great job HE did. Lets see what Bush had to say after getting saddam......

"George W. Bush, also had occasion during his presidency to announce to the nation a triumph of intelligence: the capture of Saddam Hussein. He called that success "a tribute to our men and women now serving in Iraq." He attributed it to "the superb work of intelligence analysts who found the dictator's footprints in a vast country. The operation was carried out with skill and precision by a brave fighting force. Our servicemen and women and our coalition allies have faced many dangers. . . . Their work continues, and so do the risks."

He did mention himself at the end: "Today, on behalf of the nation, I thank the members of our Armed Forces and I congratulate them."

Obama held his nose and after a year gave the go ahead and now gives terrorists free sanctuary in Pakistan as he just promised to not attack them there. He is the biggest ally AQ has.

Michael Mukasey: Obama and the bin Laden Bragging Rights - WSJ.com
The best part of this whole thing would have to be the words of the esteemed (by the left) Bill Clinton about what would have happened to The One if the raid had been unsuccessful. Those words come in the new ad that has been much discussed this week. Ain't it something that Clinton said those words and Obama had already penned the words that would have been used to blame the military if the planned attack went awry. These people really are something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 12:56 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,565,777 times
Talking Obama got bin Laden. Bush/Cheney failed. Wingnuts hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Of course there is always somebody to blame.........

Obama held his nose and after a year gave the go ahead and now gives terrorists free sanctuary in Pakistan as he just promised to not attack them there. He is the biggest ally AQ has.
^^^
On a forum that has more than its fair share of dumb statements, this one really stands out.

Reality trumps sour grapes every time. (http://www.policymic.com/articles/7788/photo.jpg - broken link)

Old 05-05-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Memo shows Obama planned to blame military if bin laden raid failed

That of course, being the military he inherited from George Bush
Not the same military he had inherited since it has been weakened so much from the orders of Obama and friends. You are so right but it isn't the same one.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Who would have ever guessed?

Bush's attorney general stomping his feet and whining in a right wing editorial about Obama's win over bin Laden. The same Michael Mukasey who argued that waterboarding isn't torture, and ended up in hot water himself.

In 2009, legal ethics complaints were filed against Mukasey and other Bush administration attorneys for their roles in advocating for torture.

Michael Mukasey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't want to sound like I don't accept all of your words as very truthful but just last evening I saw a nearly hour long discussion of retired military officers, many of who had been water boarded in training so they could train others about it being torture. Our government had told them that more than 40 seconds of such treatment would be considered torture and real trouble would come from doing so. They agreed that no more than 10 seconds was ever used on the three men it was used on so no rules or laws were broken. NOw there is a possibility that these people were a bunch of liars but I think that those 3 men broke down with much less than what was considered torture.

Now BHO says that it is torture after allowing it to go on, and it never did with him in office, but he did go ahead and use the information gained from those 3 and after the death of bin Laden it became illegal to do in his administration.

How do I know that you failed to see that show on TV. Why it was on the hated Fox News Channel, and you would't have been watching anything like that.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Results are what matter in the end, right? and what are the "end results" coming this November? 'SAVED GENERAL MOTORS / BIN LADEN DEAD"!

AHEM!
I have a couple of sons who used to drive nothing but GM vehicles but since the "saving" of GM both refuse to do so. However, they are both true conservatives who I have trouble backing down from their real dislike for Obama or the others.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Actually, the memo doesn't show that.

Doesn't show what? I don't know what that is.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:08 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,785,460 times
The approval is provided on the risk profile presented to the President. Any additional risks are to be brought back to the President for his consideration. The direction is to go in and get bin Laden and if he is not there, to get out." Which is to say, if the mission went wrong, the fault would be Adm. McRaven's, not the president's.
If the mission had went wrong... you would never have known there was a mission. That's how covert missions work. Covertly.

What we have now is armchair quarterbacks ripping apart "What if" scenarios and trying to nullify the accomplishment. The US system of military assassination worked as planned. .

Check out this speech by Nixon that was never read. It was a plan made. Wasn't enacted, though.
Nixon's Undelivered Moon Disaster Speech [1969]

We had a spectacular failure of a leader in AFghanistan.
Obama relieves McChrystal of command - US news - Military - msnbc.com
Obama sure handled that one with dignity. He could've reamed him like a new guy in the State Pen.

"He ousted the commander after a face-to-face meeting in the Oval Office and named Petraeus, the Central Command chief, who was McChrystal's direct boss, to step in.
In a statement expressing praise for McChrystal yet certainty he had to go, Obama said he did not make the decision over any disagreement in policy or "out of any sense of personal insult." Flanked by Vice President Joe Biden, Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, in the Rose Garden, he said: "War is bigger than any one man or woman, whether a private, a general, or a president."

Old 05-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So, KUChief, are you willing to say with a straight face that you wouldn't have blamed President Obama the slightest bit, had the raid gone wrong and ended up with crashed helicopters, dad and captured SEALs on TV, all the unspeakable consequences?

Actually, there's no need to answer that. We both know you and Mukasey would have screamed for Obama's resignation in disgrace.

The memo shows exactly what you' expect: A President giving the overall order and authorization, leaving the details to the professionals - which is his job.
If doing his job is to cover his own ass, he surely did a good job of that. I still love to see that bunch of Dems waiting so apprehensively in that situation room as if they didn't trust the SEALS any more than they trust each other.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:15 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,916,202 times
That certainly is Obummer for you. Blame everyone except himself.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:22 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,785,460 times
I think people think of Obama as the CEO who micromanages every single person and decision made in the entire company. Which to keep track of that, means he's incredibly brilliant....perhaps a genius. Then they say he doesn't give credit. Then they say he takes all the credit. Then they call him a bonehead. So simultaneously, he's an idiot and a genius.

CEO's take credit for what their company accomplishes.... and supposedly for the failures. Obama never admits failure. He just covers his own ass, as mentioned above.
BBC News - Obama admits intelligence failures over jet bomb plot
"This was a screw-up that could have been disastrous," it quoted him as telling officials. "We dodged a bullet but just barely."

Noticed how he said "you guys" and "you" and "glad I'm not part of this screw up" and wait he said, "We." Darn. That almost sounds like someone taking responsibility for something. I must be reading it wrong. Let me put on my Party Approved Goggles. Ah, thats better.

DUDE he's TOTALLY BLAMING EVERYONE but himself!!!!111
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies