Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 07:38 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
My father worked for an airline as a mechanic, brought home around 165 bucks a week. My mom worked full time, they raised 3 kids, had a house and cars. They instilled a solid work ethic in their children, who passed it on to their children. You want something in life, work for it. Simple.
165 a week after taxes 40 years ago was good money.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:38 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And where does your generation get information about anything?

Facebook?

Twitter?

Thanks for showing how out of touch you are.

Keep watching the television.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Thanks for showing how out of touch you are.

Keep watching the television.
Thanks for having no answer, keep tweeting

Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Then find another one that suits you. There are plenty of jobs out there for the right person. You can't afford college? There are tech schools and apprenticeships that can get you started. Or join the military, that will get your college, at least some of it, paid for.

You think I had the same options my parents had? No. I chose my own road. I'm not rich by any means, but I'm satisfied with my life and where it lead me, and it took several decades to get there.

Look--every generation has it's challenges. Mine did, my father and mother's did, and yours does. It's up to you to overcome them, and teach that to your kids.

Blaming your problems on the previous generation will get you nowhere.
Are you even paying attention?? If there were tons of jobs out there than MY generation wouldn't have a 50+% unemployment/undermployment rate.

There are more college educated Americans now than ever before.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Would you like a hankie?

You don't seem to take into consideration that in the 1960s somebody making $20,000 was considered middle to upper middle class, or that in the early 1980s minimum wage was $3.35 an hour.

So things might the a little tough. Either rise to the challenge or be loser. You can't change reality you just have the deal with it the best way you can.
This link one can calculate the average pay what they made in any given year and in years to come. Center of page.

Political Calculations: Average Wages in the U.S.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

Typical. And learn how to spell damn.
So tell me what you created please. I'll wait.

And I was keeping it PG for ya old tymer ;-)

Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
Where have I blamed anything on anyone?

The job market being slimmer currently is a fact.

I'm employed, have an apt, a car, a cell phone and a laptop...that I manage to pay for.

But ignoring the fact that you cant just graduate college with a degree in "business" and land a job at a nice company that gives you a pension that you'll stick around at for 30 years is being purposely ignorant. "We worked twice as hard back then!!!"

College has become oversaturated, jobs that once required humans dont anymore....its tough out there.

I didn't get a degree in business. I was a police officer. I went to the academy in Miami for 22 weeks, graduated, and put in 20 years.

Like I said previously, everyone doesn't need to go to college, there are options. My brother owns his own business, makes a pretty good living at it, and never went to college. It was tough starting out, and it has been tough during the financial meltdown, but he's still plugging away.

It's your choice, you have a future ahead of you, go for it. Nobody wins right out of the gate.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 AM

59 posts, read 46,429 times
Quote:
I didn't get a degree in business. I was a police officer. I went to the academy in Miami for 22 weeks, graduated, and put in 20 years.

Like I said previously, everyone doesn't need to go to college, there are options. My brother owns his own business, makes a pretty good living at it, and never went to college. It was tough starting out, and it has been tough during the financial meltdown, but he's still plugging away.

It's your choice, you have a future ahead of you, go for it. Nobody wins right out of the gate.
Well, an issue we have here is working for the public sector seems to be a better option than getting into the private sector.

I wish I could just put in 20 years and collect my pension....I mean, cmon guy...

Where are you even trying to go with this?

Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
So tell me what you created please. I'll wait.

And I was keeping it PG for ya old tymer ;-)

We having a pissing contest?

Seriously, I helped create 3 pretty decent human beings. Raised them with a good foundation, then let them go and do. Nothing is more important than that.

And they did, God bless them.

Every generation succeeds or fails on it's own.

Sure, I'm old, I consider it a badge of honor living as long as I have.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
Well, an issue we have here is working for the public sector seems to be a better option than getting into the private sector.

I wish I could just put in 20 years and collect my pension....I mean, cmon guy...

Where are you even trying to go with this?

I earned every penny of that pension. The only reason I retired was that the one kidney I brought back from Viet Nam started to quit on me.

My point was, if you read past the first sentence...you don't need to go to college--there are other options out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies