Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 07:31 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,100,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, stop with the sanctimony.
Your either wanting to solve our country's problems or your apathetic. I'm doing everything I can to help.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:34 PM

Talked to my roommate today. He's a Gen X'er and has worked his way to the top of the corporate ladder. Regardless of the economy he'll be fine and he could find employment anywhere he went. We had a brief discussion about the economy and he felt our biggest downfall was the lack of American made goods and services.

It seemed like a very simple response but it makes a ton of sense. By buying all of these foreign made items we're losing money to other countries that could be kept here in the states. Just another one of many issues that we all should be aware of.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:36 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times
I have been avoiding this thread but I'll bite.
Easier in what way?
I grew up on a dairy farm. I worked 7 days a week 365 a year. Including every holiday and christmas.
Easier in what way?
I worked for and saved until I had the money saved up for a car.
I joined the Military right out of H.S. $501.00 a month.
Got out of the service and wife got pregnant. I had a min wage job. I went and got 2 part time min to help. I paid for my child no hand outs, no welfare. Easier in what way?
Today's generation wants the freeby. They demand to be treated like the guy on the job 20 years. They can't do what he can do but want to be treated as if they are equally valuable.
I deal with it everyday.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:46 PM

19,166 posts, read 16,585,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I have been avoiding this thread but I'll bite.
See? Those of us who actually lived in earlier times know it wasn't as easy as some people today think. It's impossible not to jump into the thread!

Glad you jumped in and shared your experience

Old 05-26-2012, 07:49 PM

I don't think its a matter of who had it easier. I think its a matter of a collapsing economy. At least it is for me.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:53 PM

People seem apathetic, or in disbelief that we COULD fail as a country. It's happened to every civilization in history.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:56 PM

19,166 posts, read 16,585,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I don't think its a matter of who had it easier. I think its a matter of a collapsing economy. At least it is for me.
You don't? I must be mistaken. I thought it was you who wrote that the boomers had it easier than today's generation. Sorry if I was wrong. I know someone mentioned it but it doesn't really matter who. The OP originally claimed boomers destroyed this country so the thread did branch off into another direction. Still, I think it's interesting to read everyone's opinions on the subject.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You don't? I must be mistaken. I thought it was you who wrote that the boomers had it easier than today's generation. Sorry if I was wrong. I know someone mentioned it but it doesn't really matter who. The OP originally claimed boomers destroyed this country so the thread did branch off into another direction. Still, I think it's interesting to read everyone's opinions on the subject.
Same here. It's why I've stayed pretty active in this thread. Interesting to see what Boomers (older Americans) are saying about the country, and what Millenials (younger Americans) are saying about the country.

To me its irrelevant who had it easier if the economy crashes. EVERYONE will be affected and Boomers would lose everything they worked for.

Reading some of the responses on this thread though, I could care less if some of them lost their life's savings. Not because I'm narcissistic, but because of their apathy or sheer ignorance.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:17 PM

833 posts, read 1,710,458 times
I am a 66 year old who retired at age 62.

All my life I did hard,physical labor jobs and was rewarded well.

The big difference I see when my kids ( age 30's) talk about their paychecks is the deduction for health insurance.

When I was working, if your company offered benefits your health insurance deduction from your pay check was .......ZERO

My hourly wage could buy a lot more back then compared to wages for the same job today.

Yes, I think I had it a lot better than my kids do now.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:21 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Your either wanting to solve our country's problems or your apathetic. I'm doing everything I can to help.
Let's give you a medal! Most of us want to help solve the country's problems. Some of us don't see blaming them on the boomers as any solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
See? Those of us who actually lived in earlier times know it wasn't as easy as some people today think. It's impossible not to jump into the thread!

Glad you jumped in and shared your experience
This is true. Those that lived it, know what it was like. Granted, there is a post just above here from someone who thinks it was easier. We all have our opinions. But I'd bet if you polled the Boomers, you'd get a lot of responses saying it was no easier then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.