Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 03:54 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Which would've been relevant if the ability to procreate was a pre-requisite for marriage.

As it is not, and government recognition of marriage cares not whether or not you can make babies, the procreation argument when it comes to government recognition of homosexual marriage is irrelevant.

Excellent point. Also - what about couples (like me and my wife) that are perfectly capable of procreating, but simply choose not to? Should we not have been allowed to marry, since the sole purpose of marriage is to foster procreation?

Old 05-14-2012, 03:55 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
the only thing that's denied in NY is freedom of religion. (better religious rights then made up rights for people that engage in harmful behavior)

Law Forcing NY Clerk to Sign Gay Marriage Licenses Against Her Faith

if freedom of religion can be curtailed for the over all good then even according to someone STUPID enough to believe they're is a constitutional right to to perverts marrying each other it the reason to ban it is because of the freedom of religion infringements.
Civil marriage has nothing whatsoever to do with religion or religious marriages. Requiring a government bureaucrat to sign off on legal paperwork is in no way an infringement on religious freedom or liberty.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:57 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I haven't seen a single one of the kids on the news who recently committed suicide for being bullied over being gay to wear a thong to school. Where on earth do you live?

And your posts reeks of blame the victim. Women who get raped were clearly dressing too provocatively and that should be addressed.

By your logic, Conservative Christians are extremely offensive, and people have every right to persecute them until they address their offensive behavior.
Fiyero: We have laws to protect ALL citizens. Bullying, murder, etc. are applicable to ALL citizens. When you start providing special laws for gays or other protected special interest groups then you have a problem. Why don't we enforce the laws when crimes are committed? Bullying is wrong no matter who is involved. No special "rights"!!!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:58 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Civil marriage has nothing whatsoever to do with religion or religious marriages. Requiring a government bureaucrat to sign off on legal paperwork is in no way an infringement on religious freedom or liberty.

The nuance will escape him/them. Not everyone is cut out to understand how "the law" works.

But, you are a more patient man than I, that's for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Good grief! The ONLY reason we have marriage is because of procreation, otherwise we never would have progressed beyond "going steady"...
Says WHO? My wife and I aren't having children - ever. By conscious choice. Who on Earth are you to tell me that we shouldn't be married and should only "go steady"?

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
I haven't seen a single one of the kids on the news who recently committed suicide for being bullied over being gay to wear a thong to school. Where on earth do you live?

And your posts reeks of blame the victim. Women who get raped were clearly dressing too provocatively and that should be addressed.

By your logic, Conservative Christians are extremely offensive, and people have every right to persecute them until they address their offensive behavior.
I was bullied as a child. I would look at the signs around school referring to "minorities" and wondered - "could I be a minority" - these bullies don't seem to like me very much. So I walked up to a counselor and asked "What is a minority". I was told that it was anyone who wasn't a white, Christian, heterosexual male. So I learned how to fight and started to hit those bullies back. They left me alone after that.

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
No, I want to go to Heaven.
What on earth makes you think that's going to happen based on your current attitude?

Matt 7:1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.(B) 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Romans 2:1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I was bullied as a child. I would look at the signs around school referring to "minorities" and wondered - "could I be a minority" - these bullies don't seem to like me very much. So I walked up to a counselor and asked "What is a minority". I was told that it was anyone who wasn't a white, Christian, heterosexual male. So I learned how to fight and started to hit those bullies back. They left me alone after that.

Harrier, I'm curious to know if you still feel this is a "States rights" issue, even after I I showed you some of the approx 1000 Federal level rights, protections and benefits that come from being legally married?

If so, care to explain that opinion?

IMO, the bottom line is that this IS a Federal level issue and it needs to get before the SCOTUS as soon as possible. There is absolutely no legal basis to deny two consenting adults of the same sex the ability to enter into the marriage contract.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:02 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
What on earth makes you think that's going to happen based on your current attitude?

Matt 7:1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.(B) 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Romans 2:1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.
If you are going to cite the Bible - you should read the entire volume instead of cherrypicking certain verses. You would then understand that the Bible in no way supports your position that homosexuality is a normal lifestyle.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Children, it's the single most significant reason why governments and societies all over the world support and endorse marriage.
Can you prove this, seeing as lots of people, possibly most people these days do not get married before having children. It's not a requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies