Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 06:29 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Yes.....but why involve the state???? Why do you need to seek PERMISSION to marry? Declare yourself married and so be it. Oh, and yes, gay weddings would be awesome.
This has already been addressed many times, but to summarize - in order to receive the full benefits and rights as a married couple (see examples throughout this thread or look them up online), one must be legally married according to the state. Civil unions and domestic partnerships will give you only some of these rights/benefits, so it would still be an issue of inequality.

Sure, Sally and Jane can have a personal ceremony on the beach... but will the courts recognize their ceremonial "marriage" when Sally is at death's door in the ER, and Jane wants to hold her hand as she passes? Or will they grant inheritance claims to Jane when she's died? Those are the issues (among others), as legal marriage involves much more than a ceremony.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
It's the requirements themselves, that's excluding a group of legally consenting adults, that's unconstitutional.

THis includes incest and poly marriages. If the adults can give legal consent, the government should be required to recognise the union. Regardless.
Why don't we just declare an anarchy? Social controls are evil and unconstitutional. We should just do away with all laws and let people do as they please.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:31 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Haha. You can't really believe that, can you?

Gay Person - "It's unfair that straight couples can get married and have 1400 special rights I'm not entitled to. But rather than simply extend those rights to gay couples, I think we should do away with civil marriage and marriage rights altogether"

Straight Married Person - "What a great idea. Sure thing. I'll gladly forfeit my rights."

I'll just say this. When we do away with civil marriage rights, let's hope you're not married to a foreigner. Imagine if your spouse's spousal immigration visa was yanked (done away with since it's one of the marriage right's we'd be abolishing) and he or she was summarily deported.
No, Gay and Straights both get the 1400 special rights under this new "Call marriage Civil Union instead" plan. Immigration visas, hospital visitation, the whole nine yards. The government just isn't calling it a marriage. It's a good way to separate the church from the state.

It is interesting to note that in some European countries, many young couples both gay and straight are opting for "registered partnerships": especially if they want to say, buy a flat together, but don't plan on having kids together. I believe that the rights afforded to these registered partnerships are more numerous than our current civil union laws.

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
It's the requirements themselves, that's excluding a group of legally consenting adults, that's unconstitutional.

THis includes incest and poly marriages. If the adults can give legal consent, the government should be required to recognise the union. Regardless.
There is not constitutional clause that says that marriage is to be between a man and a woman. Declare yourself married and be done with it.

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
How does the Constitution require that the federal government be involved in marriage?
I never said it does.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Your "central thesis" is "judgement" and has nothing to what you consider a "deviant" lifestyle!
Why should I consider what you do sexually in your own bedroom "deviant"?

Lip stock gloss? "deviant"
Hooker fish net stockings? "deviant"
Wigs? "deviant"
Leather shoes? "deviant"
Make up? "deviant"

A "BURKA" not so deviant!

Are you part of the Taliban?
I don't care what anyone does in their own bedroom - that is not what gay marriage is about.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:33 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
This has already been addressed many times, but to summarize - in order to receive the full benefits and rights as a married couple (see examples throughout this thread or look them up online), one must be legally married according to the state. Civil unions and domestic partnerships will give you only some of these rights/benefits, so it would still be an issue of inequality.

Sure, Sally and Jane can find a gay-friendly officiant and have a ceremony on the beach... but will the courts recognize their ceremonial "marriage" when Jane is at death's door in the ER, and Jane wants to hold her hand as she passes? Or will they grant inheritance claims to Jane when she passes? Those are the issues (among others), as legal marriage involves much more than a ceremony.
Yes, they will. File a living will. If my husband and I are in a polygamous marriage (adults, willing) will the courts recognize our 3rd partner to attend him in the hospital? Only if it's in the living will. Is that unconstitutional???

Old 05-15-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Two and a half men is not a family. Ask Charlie Sheen.
Citing a fictional television show isn't exactly credible, but if that was a true story - yes, they would be a family. How do you feel about single parents, inter-generational caretakers, or step-parents? Are they not real families either? I think people who were raised in those situations would disagree, for the most part. We even have children's picture books on different types of families (just had to field a reference question on that very topic), but a grown man such as yourself still doesn't get it?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, they will. File a living will. If my husband and I are in a polygamous marriage (adults, willing) will the courts recognize our 3rd partner to attend him in the hospital? Only if it's in the living will. Is that unconstitutional???
No, but it is expensive, time-consuming, and doesn't include every right & benefit that comes with legal marriage. Is it fair to make a gay couple go through that process (while still not acquiring 100% of the benefits), when a straight couple has the option on that? I don't think so, and neither should you if you believe in civil equality.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
We even have children's picture books on different types of families (just had to field a reference question on that very topic), but a grown man such as yourself still doesn't get it?
Indoctrination - get to the young ones early and they will be your obedient servants for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies