Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 12:52 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
LOL - the Taliban argument again - oh no - I support sharia law! No i don't. I am probally more libertarian in my approach to laws then many of those who accuse me of such ridiculous notions as wanting to legislate religion. Actually - it wouldn't be a bad thing for government to get out of the marriage sanctioning business. That should end the entire controversy right there. But remember - if we do that - then one gets no special priveleges, benefits, or favored status based on the nature of a contract that they are party to. Now are you willing to go where I am on this plank? Think about that - and also start thinking before you accuse someone you barely know of being kin to the Taliban.
I have no problem using the Taliban comparison. I've seen you endlessly justify your position based on "morality". Who's morality? It's subject to interpretation isn't it? I don't care if the government gets out of the marriage sanctioning business, I'm married and pay the marriage penalty tax.

What I find utterly repulsive are Republicans talking about getting government out of our lives, then exploding with laws that do the opposite, whether it's defining the legality of romantic relationships or inserting vaginal probes while citing a politically written script during a medical procedure.

Republicans want to force their morality on everyone, which is legislating religion.

When Republicans justify their hatred against gays with the Bible, when they quote scripture as a basis for discriminating against a minority, when they use religion to harm those that are not religious, they are legislating religion.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:53 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
I think we should push to have murder banned in the NC constitution. That should make it harder for the State Government to overturn the current law stating that murder is illegal.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:54 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Good for North Carolina.

Not everybody has to approve of perverted lifestyles.

Gays can go get "married" in other states.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times

Sad and true. But at least they can procreate.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:56 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
the voters decided!
Yes they did. Remember how they voted before when faced with getting rid of slavery?

Old 05-09-2012, 12:56 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It has everything to do with gay marriage. You can't rewrite the script just because you don't like the outcome.

Hell, even your Messiah (Barack Obama) has stated that he's disappointed in the outcome. Why? Because it codifies in the state consitution that gay marriage will never be sanctioned by the state of NC. That was the intended affect. Your semantics are downright farcical.

Adam and Eve can marry. But not Adam and Steve. Twist it into whatever makes your mental defenses happy, but that's what this amendment ensures.
Even before the outcome, I noted that the bill would strike down all relationships that are not sealed with a marriage license. It was written in such a way that it purposely misled ignorant voters who are only fixated on the "one man one woman" aspect. It succeeded. The amendment did nothing for gay marriage - which was already "banned" in the lawbooks of North Carolina. What it did do is take away any state recognition of any relationship that is not marriage. As seen here:

Amendment One and Mecklenburg County employee benefits

Where health insurance benefits provided to non-married partners are being asked to be removed... seeing as how "non-married partners" is no longer a recognized relationship.

Already, privileges and benefits are being asked to be removed from relationships that have not (or can not) be sealed with a marriage license.

Another thing to note that is that this law could also violate the Full Faith and Credit Clause if a homosexual couple were married in one state and ended up moving to NC. I am actually curious as to which has more power - the Full Faith and Credit Clause from the Federal Constitution or this Amendment to North Carolina's Constitution - if taken to court. Would be interesting, at the least.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:58 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I think we should push to have murder banned in the NC constitution. That should make it harder for the State Government to overturn the current law stating that murder is illegal.
Exactly. You need to double down on every law and cite specific targets, just to make a point. Because Amendment One wasn't maliciously intended at all, was it?

Old 05-09-2012, 01:00 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mieux View Post
You poor thing. First of all, NC banned gay marriage years ago. So no, this was not about gay marriage. Why make an amendment to ban something that's already banned? You can scream and foam at the mouth all you like while claiming that it's about gay marriage, that still doesn't make it true. Secondly, don't assume that every person who disagrees with you on this issue voted for Obama. And don't assume that those who did vote for him view him as a Messiah. You just make yourself look foolish. Finally...Adam and Steve? Really? This isn't a 6th grade playground. How sad that you are limited to presenting your ideas through childish name calling and a clear manipulation of the facts to suit your personal beliefs.
Gay marriage was banned by STATUTE, which can be overturned via legislation or upon judicial review. The whole reason this amendment to the state constitution was put forth was to snatch the variability of STATUTE out of the jaws of the legislature and codify it into finality via the state constitution. To overturn an amendment to the state constitution requires three-fifths vote in the legislature and passage by state voters. That was the whole point. Get the gay marriage ban out of reach of those who might overturn it. How could you and your brethren have missed this blatantly obvious point??????????

All this crap about not banning something that's already banned....all this crap about "this isn't a gay marriage amendment" is pure, unadulterated, mindless blather. Of course it's an anti-gay marriage amendment. That's why it was put forth to amend the constitution!

All you folks are trying to do is rewrite the script because right now your tail is between your legs over this resounding defeat you were handed.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:01 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Guess the odd state doing a thumbs down on this can be described as "win some lose some"- Just like in real life. You can't get what ever you want be whining and saying that you are gay and entitled? What about the rest of us- what favors have been granted to straight people these days? Where are the special and new entitlements for the average straight Joe and Jane? - we get nothing...

Old 05-09-2012, 01:02 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Stop playing games by pointing out that you alternately claim to have a problem with gay parents, then denying that you do. Tell you what -- stop making mutually exclusive statements, and I'll stop pointing out that you're making exclusively statements. Take it or leave it.

Why don't you leave your emotions out of this discourse

Nonsense. All I'm asking you to do is aopply your own logic. What a surprise that you refuse to do so. How courageous of you ...

Aside from your silly notion that any situation is ever truly equal in the way that you describe, in the example above (the example that does not actually exist in the real world) I'd go with the couple that has been waiting the longest. Or (assuming that you're going to double-down on your silly question and claim they both filed for adoption at the same time) then I'd flip a coin. But, in the real world, one of those couples will demonstrate a better capacity to nurture, better means to provide, and so forth.

Why? Because your argument that opposite-sex parent households are better for children isn't backed up by any actualy evidence. You just insist it is not so. That's why it fails the rational basis test, and that's bans on gay adoption don't meet Constitutional muster.
Florida Court Finds for Adoption: Court of Appeals finds ''no rational basis'' for the state's law banning adoption by gay parents; unclear if decision will be appealed: News section: Metro Weekly

See? It's not so hard to actually answer questions rather than dodge or ignore them. Unless, I guess, your own tortured logic prevents you from coherently doing so.

And I'll tell you what I'd do in Arizona -- I'd allow those dads to marry each other so that their 12 children can grow up in a household of married parents -- which you would deny to those specific 12 kids.
LOL! You should really keep your emotions in check since they are clearly the only thing that forms your opinions.

BTW, two guys raising a little girl sucks when compared to a mother and a father raising a little girl. That's reality. Flip a coin? That's insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies