U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2012, 04:19 AM
 
2,567 posts, read 2,337,563 times
Reputation: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
How could you say it 'mainly affects the perp"? Smoking effects everyone in the room then or after. It sticks around are recirculates in an air conditioned room. That is why it is different and why its banned. If you don't drink you can still go into a bar without drinking but you cannot go into a room where smoking has been going on and NOT be effected even if the smoker is long gone.

Second hand smoke is not friendly to bystadards, and especially with kids, its effects can be long lasting. Both my parents chain smoked. I ended up with 2/3 lung capacity from it, had severe breathing problems, and constant ear infections, all signs of exposure. The first bans on smoking were voluntary, and they'd split a room, but that didn't work. And smokers did not want to have to sit outside in the patio, so it just was banned.

It is a health issue, not a political one and while there are things others do which you may not like they don't effect your directly. Smoking does. The right to not be harmed by smokers supercedes the right of smokers to light up.
If you've ever been househunting, you'll also notice a STEEP discount on homes that someone smoked in. Mostly because it will take a few YEARS before the smell goes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 AM
 
2,567 posts, read 2,337,563 times
Reputation: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
This is no joke. I was in Business Class on Alitalia before 9/11 flying from JFK to Milan and as we are actually in a take off roll a female flight attendant is leaning against the open cockpit door, smoking a cigarette, and joking with the pilots....LOL ...Those were the good ole days for flying and I'm not a smoker.
It was the good old days because it was pre-9/11... Less regulation, more flights and more empty seats. Imagine that with no smoke!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 04:28 AM
 
Location: Cushing OK
9,824 posts, read 7,232,488 times
Reputation: 8077
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
If you've ever been househunting, you'll also notice a STEEP discount on homes that someone smoked in. Mostly because it will take a few YEARS before the smell goes away.
My parents both chain smoked. Mom died from the effects at 62 and Dad eventually from metastized lung cancer. When he was going to sell the house, the realestate lady had to have a special cleaning crew come in to clean the walls they had such a coat of yellow on them which smelled like cigarettes. He wouldn't come to my apartment because I made him stand out in front of the building to do his smoking. A lot of hotels have just gone non-smoking since people cheat in the non-smoking rooms and they have to move guest around and its costly to decontaminate rooms over and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 04:29 AM
 
9,154 posts, read 3,090,617 times
Reputation: 2235
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

Second hand smoke is not friendly to bystadards, and especially with kids, its effects can be long lasting.

It is a health issue, not a political one
Second hand smoke and the diseases it causes is debatable to this day.
Ear infections..... 2/3 lung capacity...depends on what study you look at.
Let me ask you this, do you dye your hair??? sounds more like a symptom
of that...
Funny when they compared the air pollution of east Berlin with the children
of West Berlin, who turns out to be healthier - the ones with the dirtier air.
It's all with the immune system, baby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 AM
 
2,567 posts, read 2,337,563 times
Reputation: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Second hand smoke and the diseases it causes is debatable to this day.
Ear infections..... 2/3 lung capacity...depends on what study you look at.
Let me ask you this, do you dye your hair??? sounds more like a symptom
of that...
Funny when they compared the air pollution of east Berlin with the children
of West Berlin, who turns out to be healthier - the ones with the dirtier air.
It's all with the immune system, baby
Most studies agree on the harmful effects of second-hand smoke. Regardless, it is a nuisance to everyone around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 04:48 AM
 
9,154 posts, read 3,090,617 times
Reputation: 2235
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Most studies agree on the harmful effects of second-hand smoke. Regardless, it is a nuisance to everyone around it.

If we banned things simply because they were a nuisance, I'd include
the entire Obama administration

Most studies are pretty general on second hand smoke. The same type
of studies that said the incredible, edible egg was bad for you...

If you live with a smoker, first thing I'd do is get rid of your carpet.
If you don't live with a smoker, the first thing I'd do, is get rid of your carpet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 05:32 AM
 
Location: Ohio
2,175 posts, read 4,956,899 times
Reputation: 3699
When the government starts telling people what they can and can not do that has been legal for decades we as a people lose freedoms. I am a smoker and would never encourage anyone to take up the habit. But it isn't illegal. Neither is driving down the street but you just might get pulled over in a sobriety check point although you have DONE NOTHING TO AROUSE SUSPICION of being inebriated. It falls into the same catagories as school kids getting detention or expelled from school for giving a friend an innocent hug or laying a hand on a shoulder, or a 80 yr old grandmother, or a young mother with a baby in a stroller getting body scanned in an airport. Once a society accepts the loss of even one personal freedom the snowball starts rolling down the hill. And eventually it gets so big that it wipes out all freedom. When big brother starts laying on the whip, he wont stop untill we are all sheeples reduced to a flock of quivering cowards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 05:41 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
34,750 posts, read 12,130,010 times
Reputation: 4334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
If you watch films that predate the 90's, you can see that smoking was virtually allowed anyplace in America: planes, restaurants, bars, public buildings, offices, etc. Now this is almost impossible to find, except for some particular places. I think smoking gives men that macho attiude and makes women sexy. What do you think? If America doesn't have socialized healthcare, why should the Government (stateside, county, local) prevent its citziens to smoke wherever they want?
I do not miss them at all. As a matter of fact they helped me quit, so in that sense they may have saved my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville/Afghanistan
328 posts, read 321,567 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
So I guess the person vaping on water vapor in a plane has to step aside
for the person who is getting drunk or chowing down on chips

What gives with that?
DOT moves to ban e-cigarettes on planes - CNN

Feds Push for Banning Electronic Cigarettes on Commercial Flights

I guess life becomes harder, when the government starts telling you
what to do and say....
Those don't bother me since the smoke doesn't linger and there isn't that awful tobacco smell.

And I my chances of lung cancer doesn't go up because some guy next to me has a few drinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 AM
 
Location: USA - midwest
5,773 posts, read 2,658,454 times
Reputation: 2470
Default Do you miss the era before the smoking bans?

The only thing I miss is the "smoking area" in restaurants. I'm not a smoker but I'd always ask to be seated there because that was generally the area that had minimal screaming, crying, out of control 2-3 year old brats running around loose with clueless parents blankly blabbering while their spawn ruined the experience for everyone else.

Nowadays, I completely avoid the places like Appleby's and Chilis where this has become the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top