Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Problem solved, yes?

Irrelevant because your problem was solved above. Why would you enter a place that allowed smoking if you felt that way? If I walk up to bar and it has country music blaring I turn around and go somewhere else because I don;t like country music, problem solved. If I go to a bar that doesn't allow smoking I get up and leave and go to a bar that does. Again, problem solved. Why is it you think you have a right to have just your needs catered too? That's not your decision. It's a decision that should be left up the owner of the establishment.

It's funny that often hear the argument about non smokers rights when the fact of the matter is they always have had the right to choose between a smoking and non smoking bar/restaurant. The only things these bans do is strip the rights of owners and smokers to make their own choices.

To the bolded! Me too! Can't stand that crap!

Amen to the rest as well!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
This is no joke. I was in Business Class on Alitalia before 9/11 flying from JFK to Milan and as we are actually in a take off roll a female flight attendant is leaning against the open cockpit door, smoking a cigarette, and joking with the pilots....LOL ...Those were the good ole days for flying and I'm not a smoker.
Smoking on planes was the absolute worst -- it was so ****ing disgusting. My dad's a retired airline pilot, so I flew a lot as a child and did so standby. We were almost always relegated to the smoking section in the back of the plane. I still have nightmares about it.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
And obesity isn't?

Before it was proven that cigarettes caused cancer, doctors used to recommend that their patients smoke in order to lose weight.

There is a correlation between the decline in smoking and the rise in obesity.
Doesn't mean causation.....

The decline in smoking also is correlated with an increase in lifespan.

Marginal income tax rates were higher in pre-ban days too. What does that mean?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
False choice.

How so? Cocoa cola or cigarettes are not intoxicants, and do impair ones ability to drive. There is a huge risk of the drunk guy sliding into a family of 6!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Do I miss the era before the smoking bans?

Absolutely not.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 AM

867 posts, read 498,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
If you watch films that predate the 90's, you can see that smoking was virtually allowed anyplace in America: planes, restaurants, bars, public buildings, offices, etc. Now this is almost impossible to find, except for some particular places. I think smoking gives men that macho attiude and makes women sexy. What do you think? If America doesn't have socialized healthcare, why should the Government (stateside, county, local) prevent its citziens to smoke wherever they want?
1. Smokers are filthy, drug-addicted dregs of society. The foulest of the foul

2. Same reason you can't shoot a gun into the air, or defecate on the sidewalk. It adversely affects everyone else who your filth is inflicted on.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, i do. I don't believe in smoking bans. Don't understand why they exist.
It's real simple. To protect the normal citizen from the drug-addicted filth-holes who think the world is one big ashtray, and that others should just endure the stench and distress exposure to their effluent causes.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, I really miss people filling up the car with thick clouds of smoke so no one else can breathe. At least they don't allow parents to do that to their kids anymore. It's toxic.
I am always amused by the sallow, deal look smokers have. Their faces look lifeless after a decade of two of self-poisoning. Protecting people from the adverse actions of others is a primary role of government, so the bans are appropriate and good. Smoke in your own stinking, filthy home, but keep your filth to your filthy selves.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
How so? Cocoa cola or cigarettes are not intoxicants, and do impair ones ability to drive. There is a huge risk of the drunk guy sliding into a family of 6!
Because smoking does not equate to not drinking alcohol. In fact, I am willing to bet that smokers drink more because of the stimulant effect from the nicotine.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
2. Same reason you can't shoot a gun into the air, or defecate on the sidewalk. It adversely affects everyone else who your filth is inflicted on.
Irrelevant argument because there is private places the public can enter where you can shoot a gun or defecate. People that don't like guns or private bathrooms the public may use typically choose not to go to these places. Problem solved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies