Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:59 AM

371 posts, read 816,156 times

Advertisements

This is something I have been curious about.

It seems there is a fair number of Americans out there that profess a desire for "freedom" and "limited government," yet also wholly support government bans on gay marriage.

This has seemed to me to be a contradictory position, at least on the surface.

I am curious to hear how people can justify taking both positions. I'm assuming there are legitimate points to be made, but that I just haven't thought of them yet.

But, on the surface is seems that if someone generally supports the right of citizens to be free from uneeded government intrusion into their lives, the decision about who to marry would be left up to an individual to make, not the government. But, apparantly that is not the case for many people. They fervently support a limited government that respects the rights of people to be free, but they also support the government controlling who can, or cannot marry who.

Enlighten me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 02:15 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
It comes down to a battle over the redefintion of a word. Few are opposed to the idea of civil unions to grant rights to hospital visitations, inheritance, etc. I would absolutely support that, as would most conservatives. Practically speaking it would solve the problem and put an end to the bias against gays in the law.

But that's not good enough for the left. They insist on redefining a word that for a few thousand years has had a particular meaning. Why is that? Enlighten me....

Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It comes down to a battle over the redefintion of a word. Few are opposed to the idea of civil unions to grant rights to hospital visitations, inheritance, etc. I would absolutely support that, as would most conservatives. Practically speaking it would solve the problem and put an end to the bias against gays in the law.

But that's not good enough for the left. They insist on redefining a word that for a few thousand years has had a particular meaning. Why is that? Enlighten me....
Bah..nonsense.

That word hadn't had any real meaning in decades. It's straight people that have redefined marriage, not gay people.

Now you're enlightened.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,761 times
Freedom for all!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:44 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Bah..nonsense.

That word hadn't had any real meaning in decades. It's straight people that have redefined marriage, not gay people.

Now you're enlightened.
Huh? Exactly which decade did "marriage" lose its "real meaning?"

Old 05-09-2012, 02:45 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Freedom for all!

Right. Because of course a sheep can willfully consent to enter into a marriage contract with a man.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:26 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Fiscal libertarian, social conservative.

The worst kind of right winger for sure. Deeply confused on multiple levels.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:34 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Huh? Exactly which decade did "marriage" lose its "real meaning?"
Let's let Betty Bowers explain the real meaning of marriage.

Betty Bowers Explains Traditional Marriage to Everyone Else - YouTube

Old 05-09-2012, 03:38 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
Marriage has always been between a man and woman, even a 2 year old child can understand that concept.

I know many Liberals have hard times dealing with reality and wish the world was this BS lala land where unicorns fly, puppies **** Skittles, a world where everybody is "equal", all races get along and altogether hold hands and sing Kumbaya my Lord- Now back to reality!

Old 05-09-2012, 03:57 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Marriage has always been between a man and woman, even a 2 year old child can understand that concept.
No. It hasn't. Polygamy and concubinage have a long tradition in the western and non-western world alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I know many Liberals have hard times dealing with reality and wish the world was this BS lala land where unicorns fly, puppies **** Skittles, a world where everybody is "equal", all races get along and altogether hold hands and sing Kumbaya my Lord- Now back to reality!
It is clearly you who have the problem with reality. What precisely makes you unable to accept the fact that homosexuality exists and that there are many loving homosexual couples who would like to marry? Why do you feel the need to rail against it? It does not affect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies