Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:25 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am not taking you to task but Madalyn Murray O'Hair married into the family with that last name which I share and that is why I know how to spell it.

I have a cute story, truth, but funny to non-atheists. Back in those days when the woman was still going strong some fool gave her some really nice land in north central Kansas and she immediately decided to build a school for little atheists there. It was o the north side of a major highway and some local farmers, non-atheists, stopped her before she even got started. They threatened to build a hog feeding operation straight south of her site and she backed off fast knowing that the prevailing winds in Kansas just happen to be from the south. Of course, she brought in the ACLU but there was nothing they could do since the man who wanted to build the business already owned that land.

Some of the atheists here will not think that is either funny or true but it sure is. The highway was US 24 and the site was a few miles east of Stockton, Ks and those old farmers were pretty smart. I wonder if they had a lawyer or two in the group.
Not tasked at all Roy. Thank you for the correction and the cute story. Check your PM as I too have a story, but unfortunately it isn't as cute.

~ bell ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
The definition of religion provided earlier in this thread was as follows.

a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

What about theism makes it a religion?
The definition which you provided would be sufficient.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:32 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
Quote:
I think that those justices managed to read only part of the 1st Amendment. For some reason most people don't manage to read these words when they read the Amendment but then Justice Black did it too.

Are these words in the amendment? or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

I see those words in the amendment every time I read it and I don't think many atheists have ever seen them. Are they there, or not?
The government is secular. It isn't prohibiting the free exercise of religion for private citizens. The government, as a non-religious entity, cannot promote a religion either.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
The definition which you provided would be sufficient.
Why?

What a set of beliefs does theism have?
What concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe does theism have?
What
creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, does theism have?

What devotional and ritual observances, does theism have?

What moral code governing the conduct of human affairs does theism have?

Old 05-13-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Why?

What a set of beliefs does theism have?
What concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe does theism have?
What
creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, does theism have?

What devotional and ritual observances, does theism have?

What moral code governing the conduct of human affairs does theism have?
Game over as I haven't the patients for it.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Game over as I haven't the patients for it.
Patience.

Want me to cut to the point?

Theism doesn't have any of these. It has no moral codes, not opinions on the types, numbers, or behaviors of god or gods. There are no traditions or practices, no rituals, of theism.

Theism and Atheism are the same thing with the exception that one means god, and one means no god.

That's it. No religion involved.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:14 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
According to the U.S. Constitution, religion is a completely private enterprise separate from government.

The free exercise clause is the reason why churches, mosques, synagogues, hindu and buddhist temples, atheist organizations, etc., are freely allowed to exist in America.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:12 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
I think that those justices managed to read only part of the 1st Amendment. For some reason most people don't manage to read these words when they read the Amendment but then Justice Black did it too.

Are these words in the amendment? or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

I see those words in the amendment every time I read it and I don't think many atheists have ever seen them. Are they there, or not?
The public school is not a person/citizen so hence the exercising of rights does not apply to them, the rights deal with individuals not organizations.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
I am not taking you to task but Madalyn Murray O'Hair married into the family with that last name which I share and that is why I know how to spell it.

I have a cute story, truth, but funny to non-atheists. Back in those days when the woman was still going strong some fool gave her some really nice land in north central Kansas and she immediately decided to build a school for little atheists there. It was o the north side of a major highway and some local farmers, non-atheists, stopped her before she even got started. They threatened to build a hog feeding operation straight south of her site and she backed off fast knowing that the prevailing winds in Kansas just happen to be from the south.
Sounds like some real neighborly people there . Are all the people in North Central Kansas that kind to other folks? You said they were non-atheists, but I assume by their actions and treatment of others they're not (good at least) Christians.

Quote:
Of course, she brought in the ACLU but there was nothing they could do since the man who wanted to build the business already owned that land.

Some of the atheists here will not think that is either funny or true but it sure is. The highway was US 24 and the site was a few miles east of Stockton, Ks and those old farmers were pretty smart. I wonder if they had a lawyer or two in the group.
I don't believe this part of your story. Why would the ACLU get involved?

Old 05-14-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Patience.

Want me to cut to the point?

Theism doesn't have any of these. It has no moral codes, not opinions on the types, numbers, or behaviors of god or gods. There are no traditions or practices, no rituals, of theism.

Theism and Atheism are the same thing with the exception that one means god, and one means no god.

That's it. No religion involved.
Interesting:

Open theism - Theopedia, an encyclopedia of Biblical Christianity

Quote:
Open theism, also called free will theism and openness theology, is the belief that God does not exercise meticulous control of the universe but leaves it "open" for humans to make significant choices (free will) that impact their relationships with God and others. A corollary of this is that God has not predetermined the future. Open Theists further believe that this would imply that God does not know the future exhaustively. Proponents affirm that God is omniscient, but deny that this means that God knows everything that will happen.
See I never really thought about the definitions of those words until you brought it up. I thought, 'well, not a bad exercise and my brain muscle could use a work out.'

Anytime I put in a word search, for theists or theism, guess what kept popping up. The 'belief' word. Also, your second paragraph I read something that contradicts 'no moral code'. It was a contrast piece. I wish I could find it now. However, I agree with you accept where my daughter is concerned, most atheist do not have a moral code of conduct and it shows.

It still doesn't matter where organizations are being built on the dime of the individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies