Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:43 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Tell you what. Let's make a new law. Schools can display the Ten Commandments as long as there is a Qur'an on display next to it.

Deal?
No deal.

The government has no business promoting any religion, so doubling the number of religions that the government is promoting doesn't fix anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 09:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post

Why is it that when Christians want to express their religion people get pissed off, but it is perfectly fine to express Anti Christian beliefs or Atheist beliefs?
Good question. I mean, that God character, he's just soooooo offensive.

I don't personally have a problem with the Ten Commandments being displayed in public places. It's a non-issue for me. It's when fundies start their holier than thou BS where I draw the line. Or the my God is better than your God crap! For cryin' out loud live and let live!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Good question. I mean, that God character, he's just soooooo offensive.

I don't personally have a problem with the Ten Commandments being displayed in public places. It's a non-issue for me. It's when fundies start their holier than thou BS where I draw the line. Or the my God is better than your God crap! For cryin' out loud live and let live!
I have literally never heard of someone objecting to the Ten Commandments being displayed in "public places".

What people, not all of them atheists, do object to is the display and promotion of the Ten Commandments and other religious doctrines by governments and in government buildings.

See the difference there?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:50 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Expressing their beliefs and pushing on to others are to different things.
And they never push their beliefs on anyone.

What a load of bs.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 AM

11,340 posts, read 16,695,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
I have never seen a muslim come knocking on my door.
They're knocking on everyones door.

Either convert or die.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:54 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I have literally never heard of someone objecting to the Ten Commandments being displayed in "public places".

What people, not all of them atheists, do object to is the display and promotion of the Ten Commandments and other religious doctrines by governments and in government buildings.

See the difference there?

I guess I see it differently. The problem is, people can't leave well enough alone these days. Never let a good lawsuit go to waste, I guess. Now, were the principal or a member of the school putting a gun to each and every student's head and forcing it, well, then I'd take issue. I just feel that with all of the much bigger issues that we have going on in this country right now, that this small potatoes.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:54 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,243,334 times
Have you ever had an atheist come knocking at your door?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
They're knocking on everyones door.

Either convert or die.
Now that is just complete bullsh**

Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
What about in court houses?

Why is it that when Christians want to express their religion people get pissed off, but it is perfectly fine to express Anti Christian beliefs or Atheist beliefs?

Again, what about court houses?

No, I'm pretty sure you're mixing up Christians with Radical Muslims.
Common mistake.

So if most of you people have a problem with the Commandments, then you should have a problem with this too right?

Sharia Prom? Mich. School Holds All-Girls Dance to Accommodate Students
1. Your first point is a lie. Nobody opposes the right of Christians or the adherents of any other religion to "express their religion". What all civil libertarians object to, whether atheist, Christian, or some other religion, is for the government, in this case a government operated school, to promote religious belief.

2. Yes, the same principle applies to courthouses, and the display of these religious icons in courthouses has been routinely prohibited as a violation of the First Amendment.

3. Yes, I do have a problem with school functions that are segregated by sex, race, or religion.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
1. Your first point is a lie. Nobody opposes the right of Christians or the adherents of any other religion to "express their religion". What all civil libertarians object to, whether atheist, Christian, or some other religion, is for the government, in this case a government operated school, to promote religious belief.

2. Yes, the same principle applies to courthouses, and the display of these religious icons in courthouses has been routinely prohibited as a violation of the First Amendment.

3. Yes, I do have a problem with school functions that are segregated by sex, race, or religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies