Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support same sex civil unions?
I am against gay marriage but would support civil unions for gay couples 12 20.34%
I support gay marriage, but would get behind civil unions as a compromise 32 54.24%
I do not believe gay couples deserve any legal recognition as a union at all 15 25.42%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,144,239 times

Advertisements

Not cool with gay marriage but I'm perfectly fine with civil unions. I think they should be able to do the same things married couples can do, but I believe in the sanctity of marriage. This would be the perfect compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,078,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Not cool with gay marriage but I'm perfectly fine with civil unions. I think they should be able to do the same things married couples can do, but I believe in the of marriage. This would be the perfect compromise.
I think the perfect solution would be to simply give gay couples access to current law as the Constitution requires. And how is it that civil marriage contracts are sacred in the first place?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:12 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,904,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
If you are opposed to Gay Marriage would you support same sex civil unions in your state. The most controversial part of the issue that gets many people opposed to same sex marriage is in their viewpoint it changes the definition of marriage, and that traditionally it should remain between a man and woman. Fair enough in a meet me halfway sense would you support gay couples having civil rights such as hospital visitation, designation in wills, and so forth? Or do you support any type of legal recognition and union between gay couple or do you feel they don't deserve any civil rights at all?

One thing that should clarified is many believe North Carolina outlawed gay marriage itself yesterday. This was already enacted. This law took it further and denies gay couples from having any legal rights or civil unions.

For an example lets use New Jersey - Recognition of same-sex unions in New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Discuss....
I support gay marriage, and no compromise, so not able to vote.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,575,374 times
Looks like your poll says enough!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,575,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Personally, all I think gays/lesbians are entitled to is the right to be considered "married" in the eyes of the law in regards to tax filing, next of kin, insurance and health care decisions, etc.... If a church doesn't want to recognize or perform a gay marriage they should not have to however, in the eyes of the law everyone should have the same opportunity to have a partner.

So I guess that means I support unions? Who knows, who cares. Why do people care what others do? Two gay guys getting married isn't gonna make you gay or your kids gay or make you suddenly start belting out showtunes.
Totally agree!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 AM

409 posts, read 253,863 times
Neither. Gay marriage is nothing more than a perversion of a extreme minority.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:23 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,202,438 times
I don't agree with gay marriage, but support it, on a human rights level.

I would prefer a separation that would allowed marriage to only happen as a religious ceremony.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:43 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,665,850 times
So long as there are ramifications of marriage that provide legal benefits unavailable to single people then I support gay marriage. IMHO the LAW applies, or should apply, equally to all citizens regardless of their sexual preferences. As the difference between marriage and civil unions is more semantic than actual and I do not believe the government should be involved with regulating these matters.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,129,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I do not understand what people opposed to gay rights are afraid ofdo they think a mob a gays and priests are going to jump them and trap them into a gay marriage or Civil union?
I was talking with my family about this last weekend. We were saying how it seems straight people are more obsessed with gay marriage than most gay people.

My dad could care less about gay people, but was saying how embarassing it's all gotten. My parents said they could care less if the lesbians down the street got married. It's sad they're not even allowed to when they've been together and in love for a few decades now. Who on earth are we to deny them that? For what purpose? Cause we don't feel like they should be married?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:18 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,129,589 times
My favorite eye roll yesterday was hearing that Rush Limbaugh was freaking out that Obama is now DECLARING WAR ON TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE.

Oh please. Did anyone ask his first, second, third or fourth wives what they thought on his ideas of traditional marriage.

There are hundreds of married gay couples in Iowa, dozens of them in my hometown. Guess what the state has learned over the past 3 years? That IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY IMPACT ON THEIR LIVES.

Live and let live. Anyone who's not going to vote for Obama just because he's fine with gay marriage need to do some serious soul searching and figure out their priorities in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies