Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 05:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Not allowed on the left side of the aisle. You must stay within their prescribed belief systems for each subgroup.
Speak for yourself. If you're too weak to hold onto your principles, then that's your problem.

I'm on the left, and i do what the hell i want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 05:27 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I guess many will have a difficult time this election season.

Do you vote Obama "because he's black"...

or, do you vote Romney and stick to your principles.

Tough one.
No, not really. You vote for Obama because he's a Democrat. You vote against the Republicans because on many occasions they have expressed a disdain for you. It's really very simple for Black people.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:29 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea...but i'll let a link do it for me.

Are Black People Too Religious?

One of the worst things to ever befall the AA community was our embrace of American style Judeo-Christian religion. Not that we had much choice at the time, but i wish we'd throw that damn yoke off. It's been a disaster and of no benefit to us for the most part.
I get where you're coming from, but many of us find comfort in our religious beliefs. I struggled with accepting Christianity when you considered how we came to even learn about God/Jesus. But, I prefer to see this as our salvation from a land where people were practicing things not "of God" (similar to God's rescue of his people out of Egypt).

Old 05-10-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Not allowed on the left side of the aisle. You must stay within their prescribed belief systems for each subgroup.
Whatever, I'm on the left and I have many views that aren't accepted by all liberals/Dems.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:49 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Allow people to have their own personal opinions and beliefs.
The problem with that, in my opinion, is that it rejects the reality that American social laws are motivated by force that is unmitigated by reason. It is force that corporate America uses to prevent African Americans from practically exercising their rights under the Civil Rights Act. It is force from which white corporate employees benefit when those rights are not practically exercised. And when the African American demographic chooses to demand that those rights be enforced, the gay community, as it has always been, will be at its side with money and manpower.

It's not guilt that should motivate you; you should be motivated by the prospect of developing a constituency large enough to break the shackles of the injustice perpetrated by an indifferent and irrational majority.

You have no personal beliefs if you are opposed to gay rights because when you allow gays to be discriminated against, you undermine every goal that you have for yourself. That's an absurdity.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
its stupid to think that these voters will only consider voting for obama based on his being black (as if there other principles are completely opposite of obamas, and totally insync with romneys). who thinks like that?
so basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I guess many will have a difficult time this election season.

Do you vote Obama "because he's black"...

or, do you vote Romney and stick to your principles.

Tough one.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:39 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Yea...but i'll let a link do it for me.

Are Black People Too Religious?

One of the worst things to ever befall the AA community was our embrace of American style Judeo-Christian religion. Not that we had much choice at the time, but i wish we'd throw that damn yoke off. It's been a disaster and of no benefit to us for the most part.
Black Israelite?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
The problem with that, in my opinion, is that it rejects the reality that American social laws are motivated by force that is unmitigated by reason. It is force that corporate America uses to prevent African Americans from practically exercising their rights under the Civil Rights Act. It is force from which white corporate employees benefit when those rights are not practically exercised. And when the African American demographic chooses to demand that those rights be enforced, the gay community, as it has always been, will be at its side with money and manpower.

It's not guilt that should motivate you; you should be motivated by the prospect of developing a constituency large enough to break the shackles of the injustice perpetrated by an indifferent and irrational majority.

You have no personal beliefs if you are opposed to gay rights because when you allow gays to be discriminated against, you undermine every goal that you have for yourself. That's an absurdity.
I'm not denying gays anything. I have not personally voted against gay marriage. While I support gay marriage, I don't agree with it. I realize that human rights trump personal beliefs. You're preaching to the choir here.

Still doesn't mean that black people owe gays their allegiance. I'm sick of different groups using us for their gain. Then, when it turns out some of us don't support them, they talk ish about us.

Pam Spaulding: The N-Bomb is Dropped on Black Passersby at Prop 8 Protests

Old 05-10-2012, 06:48 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Blacks will still vote in the same numbers for Obama, and so will Hawaiians.
I'm hearing a lot of blacks saying they're going to stay home on election day because of this. They're not going to vote for Romney, but they're not voting for Obama either.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:52 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Just because someone is against gay marriage does not mean they hate gays. They may simply believe (as I do) that society does not benefit from celebrating a lifestyle not conducive reproduction and not found in any culture before the 20th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies