Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
For one: let's agree that a sufficient majority of African American voters oppose gay rights that we can, for the sake of argument, refer to "the African American" vote without regard to the supportive minority that we all know exists, agreed?

For two: if gays have, as a rule, always come to the aid of African Americans, you believe that African Americans don't owe the gay community reciprocal support?

Three: you didn't address my point that states that an African American person refusing to support gays is ideologically absurd.
One: I can't agree with your position on a majority of AAs opposing gay rights. Opposing homosexuality? Sure. But gay rights? Neither of us have the data to know this as fact.

Two: Who says gays have always come to the aid of AAs? Where are you getting this information? There are gays TODAY who are racist, let alone decades ago. Did you read the article I posted?

Three: There's nothing to address. It's not "ideologically absurd". Is it absurd if Italians, the Irish, Jews, women, Hispanics and Asians oppose homosexuality? I will repeat, blacks owe gay people nothing. Get over yourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:28 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
One: I can't agree with your position on a majority of AAs opposing gay rights. Opposing homosexuality? Sure. But gay rights? Neither of us have the data to know this as fact.

Two: Who says gays have always come to the aid of AAs? Where are you getting this information? There are gays TODAY who are racist, let alone decades ago. Did you read the article I posted?

Three: There's nothing to address. It's not "ideologically absurd". Is it absurd if Italians, the Irish, Jews, women, Hispanics and Asians oppose homosexuality? I will repeat, blacks owe gay people nothing. Get over yourselves.
Excellent points and post.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:36 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Fixed. Would you like to make snide comments that reveal ones stupidity, or would you like to have an entertaining troll session?

As previously stated, the absurdity is having a goal but maintaining values that serve to prevent the accomplishment of that goal.

Serving ones self-interest is a tenet of Christianity. Assisting gays in their efforts to attain equality serves the intersts of African Americans. Therefore, supporting gays is not contradictory to the religious beliefs of Christians.

I'll return for number two when this one is finished.
Homosexuality is described as an abomination in the bible. So why would a Christian support a measure that legitimizes homosexuality and raises it to equal status to marriage between one man and one woman? How can you say it's not contradictory? Are you confused about the the definition of contradictory?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
That's sufficient.

Quote:
No. I don't patronize the Huffington Post, and the title lead me to believe that you were using an example of an angry person using a racist term to claim that remarkable racism exists within the gay movement. Was I mistaken?

I'll get back to the symbiotic relationship between the gay and Civil Rights movements.

Quote:
Women and Hispanics, yes. I don't think Jews and Asians have benefitted by the Civil Rights movement as have other classes. Irish are not a protected class.

Do you believe that the African American community would benefit from restoring the Civil Rights Act to it's strength of the late 70's?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:50 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
I agree AA & gay rights are not particularly correlated, but those who utilize their political power to deny gays their full civil rights are the same folks who brought you oppression of people of color and women over the past 300 years. Many black folks realize as much and are slowly coming around to the idea of accepting gay marriage rights, like the Prezzie.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:52 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
That's the beauty of liberal politics. Liberals have an understanding that they don't all look alike, think alike or have the same convictions and beliefs. Liberals don't even all want the same thing but they know if they band together like a federation they can achieve separate goals. The Black Church has been voting along with the GLBT community for long time for that reason. I would think most blacks and Hispanics would vote similarly on this issue.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:54 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Homosexuality is described as an abomination in the bible. So why would a Christian support a measure that legitimizes homosexuality and raises it to equal status to marriage between one man and one woman? How can you say it's not contradictory? Are you confused about the the definition of contradictory?
Would you please comment on the following, to which you didn't:

As previously stated, the absurdity is having a goal but maintaining values that serve to prevent the accomplishment of that goal.

Do you agree?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
That's the beauty of liberal politics. Liberals have an understanding that they don't all look alike, think alike or have the same convictions and beliefs. Liberals don't even all want the same thing but they know if they band together like a federation they can achieve separate goals. The Black Church has been voting along with the GLBT community for long time for that reason. I would think most blacks and Hispanics would vote similarly on this issue.
You've never been in a black church I see.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
That's sufficient.

No. I don't patronize the Huffington Post, and the title lead me to believe that you were using an example of an angry person using a racist term to claim that remarkable racism exists within the gay movement. Was I mistaken?
Who said anything about "remarkable" racism? You are suggesting that gays support black people; I'm presenting an opposing viewpoint.

Quote:
I'll get back to the symbiotic relationship between the gay and Civil Rights movements.
Why not get back to the symbolic relationship between gays and women and their fight for equal rights?

Quote:
Women and Hispanics, yes. I don't think Jews and Asians have benefitted by the Civil Rights movement as have other classes. Irish are not a protected class.

Do you believe that the African American community would benefit from restoring the Civil Rights Act to it's strength of the late 70's?
What does the CRM have to do with supporting homosexuality? Where is your proof that gays were outspoken in their support of blacks during the CRM? Until you can provide proof of this, you have no point.

I will repeat, blacks owe gays nothing except what they owe anyone else: respect and compassion. Anything else is voluntary. We won't be shamed into supporting gays, no matter how bad some people would like us to. To suggest otherwise is really quite insulting.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I agree AA & gay rights are not particularly correlated, but those who utilize their political power to deny gays their full civil rights are the same folks who brought you oppression of people of color and women over the past 300 years. Many black folks realize as much and are slowly coming around to the idea of accepting gay marriage rights, like the Prezzie.
Accepting gay rights is not the same as agreeing with homosexuality. I support gay marriage, but I don't agree with homosexuality. There is a difference.

I do realize that some people who oppose gay rights now, also opposed equal rights for blacks in the past. Not seeing what difference that makes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies