U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 07:53 AM

16,598 posts, read 14,072,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I never said it wasn't natural or that is was shameful. Sex is natural also but it doesn't belong on the cover of a major magazine. What part of that aren't you getting? I can't imagine anyone looking at that picture with a nearlly 4 year old standing on a chair sucking his mother's teet not finding it a little strange.
See, you do equate it to sex. It isnt sexual at all. It is feeding. Do we see people eating on magazines? Do we see children with bottles on magazines? Yes to both.

There is nothing sexual about feeding a child. And feeding a child is a normal act that is not a private one the way sex is therefore there is nothing wrong with it being done in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This is very funny........not the man/women "the conservative"

Was your friend at least covered up? Not everyone is against it just because they choose to not have someone breastfeed right next to them.

Even if your friend was there first it's called have respect for others also, it's not about just your friend and her baby.
Covered up? I hear this all the time. People expect a child to be be smothered with a blanket so they do not have to see any part of a womans breast.

Ridiculous. IF you do not want to see a breast, do not look. Easy. For most children latching on takes less than a second, so the nipple is only visible for a moment. Again, if it bothers you, look away. No one has the right to expect a child be smothered with a blanket just so they can avoid seeing anything, especially in hot weather like Miami.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:00 AM

36,809 posts, read 16,362,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
See, you do equate it to sex. It isnt sexual at all. It is feeding. Do we see people eating on magazines? Do we see children with bottles on magazines? Yes to both.

There is nothing sexual about feeding a child. And feeding a child is a normal act that is not a private one the way sex is therefore there is nothing wrong with it being done in public.
Geez, no I don't equate it to sex. What I am saying is that some things are a private matter like breastfeeding and sex. Why can't you grasp that concept? I hardly consider eating at a table where everyone is fully clothed as being the same thing as breastfeeding a nearly 4 year old standing on a chair on the cover of a magazine.

You are entitled to your opinon but I find it bizarre to say the least. Bye, I am done with this and you.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 AM

34,686 posts, read 33,686,426 times
Here's your answer about the cover:

"The industry group said single-copy magazine sales totaled 28.9 million in the last six months of 2011. That's down from 32.1 million in the same period in 2010. It's slightly bigger than the 9 percent decline seen in the first half of the year."

Newsstand magazine sales down 10 percent in US - CBS News

They're just looking for that shock cover that screams, "Buy me, buy me!"

Old 05-12-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Geez, no I don't equate it to sex. What I am saying is that some things are a private matter like breastfeeding and sex.
Why is feeding a child a PRIVATE matter? Do you expect children feed with bottles to be feed in PRIVATE? Obviously not. Then what you think needs to be private is the method of delivery. And why is that? Because you think breasts are SEXUAL. So yes, you do equate it to sex.

Quote:
Why can't you grasp that concept? I hardly consider eating at a table where everyone is fully clothed as being the same thing as breastfeeding a nearly 4 year old standing on a chair on the cover of a magazine.

You are entitled to your opinon but I find it bizarre to say the least. Bye, I am done with this and you.
Run, you know that you are projecting your sexual feelings onto breastfeeding.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 AM

6,389 posts, read 5,461,802 times
Quote:
Covered up? I hear this all the time. People expect a child to be be smothered with a blanket so they do not have to see any part of a womans breast.

Ridiculous. IF you do not want to see a breast, do not look. Easy. For most children latching on takes less than a second, so the nipple is only visible for a moment. Again, if it bothers you, look away. No one has the right to expect a child be smothered with a blanket just so they can avoid seeing anything, especially in hot weather like Miami.

The woman on the Time cover is slim and attractive.

What if they chose to show an overweight, less-than-average looking woman with a watermelon sized breast (like those you often see nursing at the park or mall)?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
The woman on the Time cover is slim and attractive.

What if they chose to show an overweight, less-than-average looking woman with a watermelon sized breast (like those you often see at the mall)?
So what? She still has a right to feed her hungry child. The attractiveness of the mother certainly was a factor for the people selecting a cover for the magazine but it is not a factor in her inherent right to feed her child in public.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:55 AM

8,566 posts, read 9,666,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Oy...here's a palate cleanser for you. "This week's Time magazine cover features Jamie Lynne Grumet, a 26-year-old woman breastfeeding her three-year-old son." Time breastfeeding cover sparks controversy | The Cutline - Yahoo! News
I think it's is intent might be represented better at this link...

http://www.thelookingspoon.com/tlsim...mom_enough.jpg

Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 AM

21,660 posts, read 11,123,975 times
Quote:
No, she is trying to make a point. And to start a dialogue. It is working.

How come you cannot just ignore a magazine? Seems even easier to ignore than an actual living person.
Why, because it isn't just me out there looking at it.. little boys will look and not think it is a mother and son but something else.. you don't get it!

You don't think deep enough .

Old 05-12-2012, 09:38 AM

6,389 posts, read 5,461,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I think it's is intent might be represented better at this link...

http://www.thelookingspoon.com/tlsim...mom_enough.jpg

Nursing mothers are eligible for WIC. So, the longer you nurse, the longer you can collect WIC. It is like suckling at the government's (Obama's) teat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies