U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 12:40 PM

747 posts, read 664,270 times

Advertisements

Really selfish of the mom to put her son on the cover opening him up to ridicule for the rest of his life, also extremely irresponsible of Time, though of course all they care about is generating buzz.

This mom is not trying to promote breastfeeding, she's wearing a leotard, the defiant pose and facial expression. She just wants her 15 minutes of fame at the expense of breastfeeding in general and her son. Selfish *****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 12:55 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,322,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Not big kids with the same pose as on the cover.. some people copy and if it is on a magazine cover think it is the in thing.. you have to know there are some really strange people out there.. I mean strange. You can't imagine what people think , I have heard it all.

Hey, would you pose like that in a store nursing your 4 year old and think it is ok? I think you have more common sense than that , but some don't.
Ah, ok, that was not at all clear to me from the original post. I imagine not too many people IRL who extended breastfeed use the position as shown on the cover - it doesn't look comfortable or realistic to me. I believe the magazine made it intentionally provocative. I can understand why it bothers you.

Having not extended breastfed myself (my oldest self-weaned by 16 mo, my youngest is still a baby), I am only guessing from what I hear from moms who do extended breastfeed, but most of the older kiddos have moved to a pretty set schedule (like just before bed, first thing in the morning) rather than an on-demand type of thing. Even if an older kiddo was on-demand, I would imagine by 3 or 4 yo, they would have the impulse control to be able to tolerate waiting a few minutes. I also imagine the breastfeeding laws would protect it, even if I wouldn't do it myself.

As for imagining what people think, haha, trust me, I was a therapist - I have heard plenty of things people would find shocking, not too much takes me by surprise.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:59 PM

9,897 posts, read 6,829,127 times
Quote:
I know, some women don't care if they expose their breast . That is a given. Some women are modest some are not.
And some women simply understand the meaning of common courtesy

Old 05-12-2012, 08:47 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,852,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Watch what happens next!!

The photos are going to be a lot more provocative now that gay marriage is legal even though 30 states of the United States have said NO!!

We the People - don't count !! votes don't count!! God doesn't count.

Obama shakes his fist @ God and this is just the beginning of something far more disgusting about to happen.

Did you display the photos to your friends @ work?
I thought this thread was about breastfeeding and a magazine cover. Also, what does gay marriage have to do with how a mother feeds her child?

By the way, regarding your "God doesn't count" remark, it's probably true. I mean, let's say God counted votes. Then of course Bush would never have made it into the White House in 2000.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 PM

21,622 posts, read 11,077,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I thought this thread was about breastfeeding and a magazine cover. Also, what does gay marriage have to do with how a mother feeds her child?

By the way, regarding your "God doesn't count" remark, it's probably true. I mean, let's say God counted votes. Then of course Bush would never have made it into the White House in 2000.
Oh, you are wrong.. they counted every chad and guess what President Bush got more votes.. Al Gore was trying every way he could to win.. such a sore loser and he was so angry with President Clinton.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:25 PM

16,567 posts, read 14,008,327 times
Quote:
Oh, you are wrong.. they counted every chad and guess what President Bush got more votes.. Al Gore was trying every way he could to win.. such a sore loser and he was so angry with President Clinton.
You are consistent at least. Gore had over half a million more votes than Bush had in 2000.

2000 Presidential General Election Results

Old 05-12-2012, 10:57 PM

8,494 posts, read 7,642,793 times
The problem I have with the magazine cover is "Are You Mom Enough?"

To breast feed an almost 4 year old? Or have my kids sleep in my bed with me until they go to college? I guess I'm not "Mom Enough" for this 26 year old who thinks she invented breast feeding toddlers and "over-attachment parenting".

When I was pregnant with my first, my mother bought me the Dr. Sears "bible". I read the first few chapters, skimmed the rest and tossed it in the garbage.

Kids grow up. They "naturally" become independent if raised in a heathy environment promoting age appropriate independence .....unless they aren't allowed to. By their mothers who need their kids in more ways than their kids need them.

Last edited by Informed Info; 05-12-2012 at 11:12 PM..

Old 05-12-2012, 11:01 PM

8,494 posts, read 7,642,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You are consistent at least. Gore had over half a million more votes than Bush had in 2000.

2000 Presidential General Election Results
Yeah, Bush won. Fair and square.

Popular vote that led to electoral votes...not a huge win, but he won.

Who Won the 2000 U.S. Presidential Election?

Old 05-12-2012, 11:03 PM

5,383 posts, read 4,309,025 times
I haven't read the whole thread, but I just wonder
how many times this kid is getting his butt kicked
because of this picture?

Old 05-12-2012, 11:04 PM

4,320 posts, read 3,667,893 times
When children are born - they don't arrive with a set of instructions on how to properly care for them and what to teach them. FORTUNATELY.. .. .. The book of Proverbs has all the important information you need to raise a child - Proverbs contains more WISDOM for daily living than any other book on this planet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies