Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 02:30 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
It's sad when something so natural is viewed as weird.
Modern American society doesn't generally see breastfeeding this old, so you can't be so shocked that people find it weird. I mean, let's be honest for a moment - how often do you see women nursing 3+ year-old children?? I never see that, and with all the "crunchy granola" types we have around here, you'd think it would be more common.

My niece & nephew are 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 respectively, and perfectly capable of holding cups. The little one speaks in complete sentences, and the older one is in pre-school and starting to read... so the thought of them suckling on my sister is just a little odd, since they've been eating real food at the table for a LONG time already. But as I said, knock yourself out if you feel that's best for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 05:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Maybe this is the mother's choice. I have heard stopping lactation can be quite painful.

I wonder how many grown up guys would be shocked if they kissed a nipple and "got milk"?

Old 05-11-2012, 05:46 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
It's sad when something so natural is viewed as weird.
The image Time chose is about as 'natural' as a bored hooker and a dwarf posing for the camera. [If dwarf is not an acceptable word, think short-statured person.]

Last edited by jazzarama; 05-11-2012 at 06:01 AM..

Old 05-11-2012, 05:46 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Had a look at the pic...and oddly enough next to it was an add for a burger- the tripple combo with quadruple cheese - ten slices of bacon and whip cream...just thought I would mention that..The picture of the woman breast feeding with the little boy (not a baby)- is a set up--I know what a lactating boob looks like and that breast is not in the process of making milk--The picture is made to shock and seemingly it does...I really don't see the point other that the editors of the magazine have run out of ideas.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:19 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I'm not an orangutan expert but I believe the norm is 4 years
or until they get pregnant again.
Maybe you should read it again, I said "UP TO SIX YEARS". Mostly people would conclude that is the high end of the normal range.

Quote:
I bet if that orangutan had access to the luxuries of
modern man e.g. frig, alternative beverages, cups
she'd jump or climb for the chance to get her hands
on those things.
Ah, so modern conveniences trump a million years of evolution. Maybe for you. But that just PROVES the point that nursing a 3 year old is NATURAL. Thanks.

Quote:
Really, we aren't talking about humans in the wild,
doing what an orangutan does for basic survival of
their species. Now, are we.....
No, we are talking about whether or not nursing a toddler is NATURAL. And it is perfectly NATURAL, as you proved yourself. What it may not be is typical. But so what? If it is natural, safe, and healthy, than it isn't for anyone else to tell any mother how long to breast feed except her, her child and her pediatrician.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Obviously many people really do not believe women should have any choice about what they do with their own bodies. Most of these people are males not secure enough to be men.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:49 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,765 times
Who cares? Either don't look at the cover or don't breast feed your toddler. Get over yourself.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:52 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Had a look at the pic...and oddly enough next to it was an add for a burger- the tripple combo with quadruple cheese - ten slices of bacon and whip cream...just thought I would mention that..The picture of the woman breast feeding with the little boy (not a baby)- is a set up--I know what a lactating boob looks like and that breast is not in the process of making milk--The picture is made to shock and seemingly it does...I really don't see the point other that the editors of the magazine have run out of ideas.
I didn't think it looked like a lactating breast either. And that little boy could be 3 years old but to me he looks a bit older.

You know it had to happen that someone would do a parody of that photo. This could be "Julia", too.

From the Rush Babes Facebook page:

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 01-09-2014 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-11-2012, 06:57 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I didn't think it looked like a lactating breast either. And that little boy could be 3 years old but to me he looks a bit older.

You know it had to happen that someone would do a parody of that photo. This could be "Julia", too.

From the Rush Babes Facebook page:

Good work- that is a great photo...I wonder if the kid is getting any milk...It's profound- no matter how hard AMERICANS suck they are getting nothing out of this cold statue that is supposed to be the figure of AMERICAN freedom and fairness............We are all like the little kid- thinking that the government is feeding us but not understanding that our bellies are empty- and not having the sense to wean ourselves from the fraud.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:11 AM

707 posts, read 687,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Obviously many people really do not believe women should have any choice about what they do with their own bodies. Most of these people are males not secure enough to be men.
Maybe they didn't breastfeed long enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies