Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 10:58 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times

Advertisements

They are simply exploiting this child. Period!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 10:59 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Yes, and put it on the front of a magazine and it is fine. That is the sad part. No one really cares what they put on a magazine these days for all to see.

I know Time magazine is put into doctors offices and lawyers offices and dentist offiices etc.. so if you kid sees it so what.

Maybe some decent souls will NOT put this rag on their tables in the waiting offices.. maybe some may cancel their prescription.. I hope there are decent folk still out there and think of the young minds instead of who cares , it doesn't affect my life .
So now its, "what about the children"?
What a crock.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:59 AM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
How do you know the child is too old to be breastfeeding?
Putting a picture of two people having sex on the cover of Time Magazine would be fine and acceptable.
You're joking, right?

Old 05-11-2012, 11:02 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
Quote:
Yes, and put it on the front of a magazine and it is fine. That is the sad part. No one really cares what they put on a magazine these days for all to see.
Indeed, no one cares any more. And I don't care that they don't. I don't like stupid shows on TV either and think they lead to the dumbing down of our kids. That's why I don't watch them. That's why my kid doesn't watch them, either.

Quote:
I know Time magazine is put into doctors offices and lawyers offices and dentist offiices etc.. so if you kid sees it so what.
I really don't care about that, either. Breastfeeding is natural and normal to me - perhaps not a three-year old or a 21-year old. But, apparently, it is to some. Seems like a great opportunity for teaching/learning to me.

Quote:
Maybe some decent souls will NOT put this rag on their tables in the waiting offices.. maybe some may cancel their prescription.. I hope there are decent folk still out there and think of the young minds instead of who cares , it doesn't affect my life .
I am sure that some will. That's their right and that's a great way to sent the message that they don't approve of covers like this.

Surely, though, Time has weighted potential costs versus the benefits of publishing this cover. Seems like they bet that the controversy will boost their market share.

Last edited by vamos; 05-11-2012 at 11:22 AM..

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would someone think that anyone is anti-breastfeeding just because they don't want to see it on the cover of a magazine with a 3 year old standing on a chair doing it? Kind of a stretch, isn't it? Yes, I have the option of not looking at the magazine cover but since the picture was already published under this topic it's kind of late for that, isn't it? Kids will see it in the store also. I just think it is inappropriate for a magazine cover.
You misunderstood what I meant. I'm talking about the "women shouldn't be allowed to nurse in public" crowd who will jump on any opportunity to say that mothers shouldn't breastfeed in public, no matter how discreetly. It is certainly your right to like or dislike a magazine cover.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 05-11-2012 at 11:16 AM..

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Oh shocking - a mammal feeding her child the way God/nature intended? We can't have that, now can we?

And it's now "immoral" to breastfeed? Or is it "immoral" to show a woman breastfeed? Or is it "immoral" to show a woman breastfeeding a three-year old? How about a two-year old? A one-year old? At what age does it become "immoral?" And how is a natural act ever immoral? And how sick must your mind be if you think the act of breastfeeding is "immoral?"

I understand if it's not up to your personal standard if such an image is shown - but my guess is that you are stuck on some standard of the past. Standards change - and if you don't change with the times, you are going to be offended quite a bit for the remainder of your time on this earth.
How would you feel if it had been a graphic image of two people having sex? Perfectly natural and moral?

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would someone think that anyone is anti-breastfeeding just because they don't want to see it on the cover of a magazine with a 3 year old standing on a chair doing it? Kind of a stretch, isn't it? Yes, I have the option of not looking at the magazine cover but since the picture was already published under this topic it's kind of late for that, isn't it? Kids will see it in the store also. I just think it is inappropriate for a magazine cover.
They think that because their brain only functions on one track. You know.....like they think if someone doesn't like the president, that person is a racist. It's the convoluted way they think. Somewhere along the line, their wiring went wrong.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
How would you feel if it had been a graphic image of two people having sex? Perfectly natural and moral?
Yup - I don't care.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
So you're equating breastfeeding with sex?
Boy, that says volumes about you.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
So you're equating breastfeeding with sex?
Boy, that says volumes about you.
I don't think he's saying that - he's just trying to see what kind of image would be offensive to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies