U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-11-2012, 11:49 AM
 
10,720 posts, read 17,401,159 times
Reputation: 9920

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Agree 100%

A law enforcement agency suing another law enforcement agency, just how far will this lunacy in the United States of America continue?
Was it lunacy when the FBI investigated corrupt police departments for covering up murder and other crimes against African Americans in the South in the 1960's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2012, 11:49 AM
 
36,388 posts, read 16,235,046 times
Reputation: 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Witnesses to murder also provide hearsay based on your logic. Many of the witnesses are former MCSO officers themselves. Do they have a biased agenda too?
Could be they do. It wouldn't be the first time that some has lied to make a case against someone they don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 11:51 AM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,379,795 times
Reputation: 7641
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Was it lunacy when the FBI investigated corrupt police departments for covering up murder and other crimes against African Americans in the South in the 1960's?
Why don't you bring up something more current, like the coverup the Justice Dept. is doing with fast & furious?

A corrupt federal agency trying to bring down a law enforcement agency that is trying to protect legal United States citizens.....

Yup, makes sense if you're a progressive liberal.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 11:55 AM
 
36,388 posts, read 16,235,046 times
Reputation: 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
We shall see who is proven to be "wrong", that is why we have courts.
Those who have an agenda against Arpaio in this forum and elsewhere have already convicted him in their minds though. I don't know if he is guilty or not so I haven't convicted him nor absolved him of these charges. As you said though that is what we have courts for. Even at that though it wouldn't be the first time that an innocent man was convicted of a crime he didn't commit and the powers that be that want him to go down are a lot more powerful than he is. And agan, my last sentence doesn't mean that I think he is innocent. I will withold judgement until unbaised evidence is presented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Sco
 
4,259 posts, read 4,227,864 times
Reputation: 3358
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
People who live in Arizona including his supporters know he racially profiles even if they won't admit it. Arpaio's supporters are simply okay with it and the overwhelming majority of them are white conservatives so it doesn't impact them. However, I know many LEGAL Hispanic, Native American, Indian (India), Middle Eastern and other minorities who were racially profiled and pulled over for ambiguous reasons "driving too close to the intersection" or "weaving" and when they were pulled over, the first thing they were asked if they were U.S. citizens. One friend of mine, who is a doctor from India, was pulled over in Glendale and he was leaving the hospital and was pulled over for "weaving." He was driving a nice Lexus late on a Saturday night. My friend didn't suspect racial profiling until the deputy immediately turned around and yelled to his fellow officers who were standing several yards away: "He is English speaking sir" meaning they profiled him and pulled him over for a sham reason. That's what bothers people about Joe. Meanwhile, there are several bad areas of West Phoenix, Glendale etc where ilegals congregate at bars and clubs (this is where a lot of violence, gangs, and drug deals go down) and the MCSO won't dare go in there. Everyone in the Valley knows not to drive through those areas because MCSO is nowhere to be found in those areas.
This. Joe Arpaio is a paper tiger that stages raids and photo ops to build up his reputation with the racists that comprise the base of his support.

You also have the numerous accounts of torture and deaths that have happened to people in his jails at the hands of the guards - millions of taxpayer dollars have been spent on settling the lawsuits.

The illegal use of county funds earmarked for use in the jails that were siphoned off and used to harass and indict his political enemies. These acts recently caused three of Arpaio's political allies, including the ex-County Attorney to lose their licenses to practice law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 12:01 PM
 
Location: USA
19,657 posts, read 14,619,446 times
Reputation: 12703
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Why don't you bring up something more current, like the coverup the Justice Dept. is doing with fast & furious?

A corrupt federal agency trying to bring down a law enforcement agency that is trying to protect legal United States citizens.....

Yup, makes sense if you're a progressive liberal.....
I'm waiting for Sheriff Joe to issue an arrest warrant against Eric Holder and the Feds for Violating US Gun laws and selling Assault weapons to the Drug Cartels!

I do think Sheriff Joe is an Idiot and could handle himself much better, but the US Justice Department isn't much better, and possibly worse!

Last edited by LS Jaun; 05-11-2012 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Not where you ever lived
11,544 posts, read 25,924,965 times
Reputation: 6240
The problem is the law. It is illegal to enter the United States through tunnels and under the cover of night. Sheriff Joe has said more than once the people of Maricopa County elect him to enforce the law.

People forget he has prison population larger than many small cities yet he manages to give some under educated prisoners the opportunity to graduate with a certificate/diploma from the only certified prison high school in America. Voters supported a new jail and then charged him with protecting the animals in the county, too. He turned the old jail into a animal shelter. He has his meat processing plant and kitchen too. Able bodied prisoners are expected to work. He seems to think education and a work ethic is good for the prisoners, and it is good for society, too.

His volunteer posse is one largest in America. Escapees do not feel freedom for long in a state that is mostly barren of shelter and water.

Is his system perfect? No, but on the other hand it can be a lot worse for Maricopa County and Arizona if it is changed substantially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Los Awesome, CA
8,520 posts, read 4,989,968 times
Reputation: 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The problem is the law. It is illegal to enter the United States through tunnels and under the cover of night. Sheriff Joe has said more than once the people of Maricopa County elect him to enforce the law.

People forget he has prison population larger than many small cities yet he manages to give some under educated prisoners the opportunity to graduate with a certificate/diploma from the only certified prison high school in America. Voters supported a new jail and then charged him with protecting the animals in the county, too. He turned the old jail into a animal shelter. He has his meat processing plant and kitchen too. Able bodied prisoners are expected to work. He seems to think education and a work ethic is good for the prisoners, and it is good for society, too.

His volunteer posse is one largest in America. Escapees do not feel freedom for long in a state that is mostly barren of shelter and water.

Is his system perfect? No, but on the other hand it can be a lot worse for Maricopa County and Arizona if it is changed substantially.
No one is arguing against the difficulties of being a sheriff, the struggles of enforcing law in an area full of illegal immigrants or the indecisive federal position towards illegal immigration. The issue is with his discriminatory practices and the refusal to correct them. The charges listed in the below link spells out where the problem is not the opinions of the anti-immigrant crowd.

Complaint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Full time RV"er
2,403 posts, read 5,776,812 times
Reputation: 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
No one is arguing against the difficulties of being a sheriff, the struggles of enforcing law in an area full of illegal immigrants or the indecisive federal position towards illegal immigration. The issue is with his discriminatory practices and the refusal to correct them. The charges listed in the below link spells out where the problem is not the opinions of the anti-immigrant crowd.

Complaint
But! at least he is doing something to correct the problem, this is not a perfect world and people can talk, and complain ,

People can talk about how the Government is not doing their job , but what are those same people doing about the problem, nothing but blowing hot air !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Gone
25,235 posts, read 14,006,737 times
Reputation: 5916
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The problem is the law. It is illegal to enter the United States through tunnels and under the cover of night. Sheriff Joe has said more than once the people of Maricopa County elect him to enforce the law.

People forget he has prison population larger than many small cities yet he manages to give some under educated prisoners the opportunity to graduate with a certificate/diploma from the only accredited prison high school in America. Voters supported a new jail and then charged him with protecting the animals in the county, too. He turned the old jail into a animal shelter. He has his meat processing plant and kitchen too. Able bodied prisoners are expected to work. He seems to think education and a work ethic is good for the prisoners, and it is good for society, too.

His volunteer posse is one largest in America. Escapees do not feel freedom for long in a state that is mostly barren of shelter and water.

Is his system perfect? No, but on the other hand it can be a lot worse for Maricopa County and Arizona if it is changed substantially.
So we should just ignore his violating civil rights and abuses done under hs watch. It is one thing to uphold the law, it is another in how you do it.

Last edited by linicx; 05-12-2012 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top