U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 09:30 PM

5,507 posts, read 5,702,327 times

Advertisements

gizmo980

Quote:
It's been said a million times, so they are quoting many people. I've seen & heard that myself, but oddly it's usually from a non-Black person
Who? lol. Like I said, I haven't heard it.

Quote:
Anyone who is staunchly Democrat or Republican does that... it's called wearing partisan blinders, or at least that's what I call it
Enough dodgeball and talking in platitudes. Name drop, because honestly I haven't heard it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 09:30 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,947,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Truthfully, as Obama revealed in 2007, he's strongly against Gay Marriage which fits the overall view on Gay Marriage in majority of the black community.
Where do you get that idea? I've always thought he was in favor of it, and was just being pressured by advisers to not make an official statement... that's the feeling I get when reading older quotes, and watching him field that question in interviews over the years.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
gizmo980

Who? lol. Like I said, I haven't heard it.

Enough dodgeball and talking in platitudes. Name drop, because honestly I haven't heard it.
As I said, it's been quoted by a MILLION people!! But since you want a name, Harrier said this just days ago... if you give me a few minutes, I'll dig up a direct quote for ya.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:33 PM

30,402 posts, read 20,055,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Many blacks shrug off Obama's new view on gays - Boston.com

This will anger right-wingers. They'll insist that blacks should be angry at Obama for supporting same-sex marriage. Watch for indignant reactions and faux outrage.

It's a big issue if you're gay.

Otherwise, it's way down the list of important issues for most voters.

What the Obama flip-flop on homosexual marriage really is is part of a Hail Mary! strategy designed to create as many distractions from jobs and the economy as possible.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Not from where I'm at which is why when these polls come out that I am not shocked at all that a lot of blacks aren't supportive of the gay community because in all honesty, I haven't seen it from any outside of the black gays themselves. Mind you the folks I come across aren't hardcore anti-gay types either (i.e. assaulting, pro discrimination against them etc). But the idea of their kids, friends, and working amongst gays is NOT something I think most are indifferent to. Atleast not as much as alot of the white people I know. This is especially true with the Carribean community where I live in NY.
Well, I can definitely see that being true in a Caribbean community... they have some pretty harsh views about homosexuality, coming from a more old school religious-oriented culture. But we don't have many Caribbean folks on the West Coast, so it's mostly multi-generation American Black people who vote here.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 PM

26,529 posts, read 24,984,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It's a big issue if you're gay.

Otherwise, it's way down the list of important issues for most voters.
More than half of the anti-gay and anti-same-sex-marriage threads here are initiated by social conservatives. I'm assuming most of them are not gay. (Maybe that's a foolish assumption on my part.)

Old 05-12-2012, 09:37 PM

5,507 posts, read 5,702,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So along that same line of logic, shouldn't blacks see that gays are also entitled to that same pursit of happiness as they see fit like Whites thought blacks were after over 3 centuries of institutional oppression?
The logic doesn't follow because comparing gays and the paradigm of culture and history of African Americans aren't one in the same. When you can prove that homosexuals existed collectively on a continent, only to be removed by the millions and brought to this country under the institution of slavery, then perhaps, then and only then will blacks who are against it will begin to see their own hypocrisy. As of now you are comparing behavior with a seperate Universe of genetics, history and geopolitics.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:38 PM

26,529 posts, read 24,984,416 times
Quote:
Honestly, I haven't heard any say that. Who are you are quoting?
Here's just one. I see posts like this regularly.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/24240900-post10.html

Old 05-12-2012, 09:39 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,872,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Where do you get that idea? I've always thought he was in favor of it, and was just being pressured by advisers to not make an official statement... that's the feeling I get when reading older quotes, and watching him field that question in interviews over the years.
My bad, it was in 2004...

NBC Politics - The 'evolution' of Obama's stance on gay marriage

Quote:
Obama’s Wednesday announcement was a reversal of his 2004 view that “marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman." At that time, he also indicated that civil unions were adequate for gays and lesbians. He contended that the difference between marriage and civil unions was partly just a matter of “semantics.”

Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,872,774 times
Quote:
The logic doesn't follow because comparing gays and the paradigm of culture and history of African Americans aren't one in the same. When you can prove that homosexuals existed collectively on a continent, only to be removed by the millions and brought to this country under the institution of slavery, then perhaps, then and only then will blacks who are against it will begin to see their own hypocrisy. As of now you are comparing behavior with a seperate Universe of genetics, history and geopolitics.
This is America. People should have the right to do as they please and not be restricted institutionally from doing so.

It doesn't matter what their background is.

To compare two instances of institutional prejudice and dismiss one of them because of a "But he/she had it much better off than me" attitude is close-minded and ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies