U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-12-2012, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 44,837,065 times
Reputation: 20391

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
That's fine, and you can feel/respond however way you like to this, but you and anyone else who feels the way you do is Un-American, illogical and hypocritical for feeling the way you do on this issue.

To institutionalize a prejudice against a group just because you find what they want to freely do as citizens as "repulsive" is idiotic and repulsive. It was when whties did it to blacks and it is with gays now.
Yeah, the "I don't like it" or "because my Bible told me so" arguments don't generally hold water with the courts - at least not for long.

Quote:
I find weed smokers "repulsive", it doens't mean I don't strongly support their right to legally smoke weed as Americans.
I'm glad you (and my state) support our rights, but I think I'm a pretty nice and non-repulsive person... believe whatever you want, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2012, 09:54 PM
 
Location: 20 years from now
5,491 posts, read 5,681,106 times
Reputation: 3428
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
That's fine, and you can feel/respond however way you like to this, but you and anyone else who feels the way you do is Un-American, illogical and hypocritical for feeling the way you do on this issue.

To institutionalize a prejudice against a group just because you find what they want to freely do as citizens as "repulsive" is idiotic and repulsive. It was when whties did it to blacks and it is with gays now.
Thanks, but I don't need you to affirm how I can feel/respond or "how ever I like to say this."

Call it what you like, some aren't buying the parallel. And like or not, with democracy in progress, folks aren't in favor of you having the ability to marry your dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,529 posts, read 24,913,252 times
Reputation: 7739
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Call it what you like, some aren't buying the parallel. And like or not, with democracy in progress, folks aren't in favor of you having the ability to marry your dog.
If this is the argument that social conservatives are now going to use against same-sex marriage, they're truly doomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 44,837,065 times
Reputation: 20391
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If this is the argument that social conservatives are now going to use against same-sex marriage, they're truly doomed.
Yeah, no kidding! I thought that stupid analogy (doesn't even qualify as a slippery-slope theory) died years ago, but apparently they've come full-circle now... I mean, really? Dogs??

The next time my dog picks up a pen, signs a contract, and/or tells me he wants to marry a human - I'll let you know, and then we can talk about the impact of allowing inter-species marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 10:01 PM
 
7,238 posts, read 10,840,017 times
Reputation: 5583
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm glad you (and my state) support our rights, but I think I'm a pretty nice and non-repulsive person... believe whatever you want, though.
Please don't take offense. It's just that I've had bad experiences with weed smokers. Plus I can't stand the smell.

That said, I'm wrong for broadbrushing all weed smokers. I'm pretty certain most people who smoke weed are also decent, law-abiding citizens. You guys shouldn't have to go through what you're going through right now with the failed War on Drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 10:03 PM
 
Location: 20 years from now
5,491 posts, read 5,681,106 times
Reputation: 3428
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If this is the argument that social conservatives are now going to use against same-sex marriage, they're truly doomed.
Who said anything about social conservatives using this as an argument against same sex-marriages? I simply said that homosexuality is considered a "behavior" and some behaviors are considered unacceptable. The idea of using a person marrying their dog was simply for my comic relief and nothing else. Try following the bouncing ball next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 10:04 PM
 
Location: 20 years from now
5,491 posts, read 5,681,106 times
Reputation: 3428
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Writhing around like a dying cockroach that's been sprayed with bug poison. I know. It's hard for some people to accept when they're wrong.
My mistake then, I honestly thought you had concrete examples of Right Wingers with influence. Oh well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 44,837,065 times
Reputation: 20391
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Please don't take offense. It's just that I've had bad experiences with weed smokers. Plus I can't stand the smell.
That's cool... I personally think the smell is wonderful, but then again I can't stand the smell of most flowers. So to each his/her own.

Quote:
That said, I'm wrong for broadbrushing all weed smokers. I'm pretty certain most people who smoke weed are also decent, law-abiding citizens. You guys shouldn't have to go through what you're going through right now with the failed War on Drugs.
Thanks, and yes most of us ARE normal, decent citizens... law-abiding depends on where you live, but here in California everyone and their grandmother has a "medical marijuana card." So I'm 100% legal according to state laws! For me it's like having a beer after work, just a way to relax after a long day - plus it helps a lot with my arthritis, as I'm allergic to many pharmaceuticals (and don't drink alcohol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 PM
 
Location: 20 years from now
5,491 posts, read 5,681,106 times
Reputation: 3428
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No thanks. I've realized that it's not worth the effort.
Either that or you've realized that you can't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 44,837,065 times
Reputation: 20391
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Who said anything about social conservatives using this as an argument against same sex-marriages? I simply said that homosexuality is considered a "behavior" and some behaviors are considered unacceptable.
This is where you're wrong, at least according to any scientific or psychological expert... sexual orientation isn't a behavior, it's an innate trait. One can be a homosexual (or heterosexual) virgin, right? Did you know you were heterosexual before losing your virginity? Think about that for a second.

You're also wrong where you say "some behaviors are considered unacceptable." To be fair that's not actually wrong, just missing the part where you say BY WHOM. I don't consider it unacceptable, neither do at least 50% of Americans according to most polls... so why are you speaking for the entire country/world? You certainly don't speak for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top