Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 10:20 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,686,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Whites (and I say that liberally) overwhelmingly came to the conclusion that blacks were pretty much just the same and/or entitled to pursue happiness as they see fit by attending the schools of their choice, eating in the restaurants of their choice, dating or marrying as they please, and even running for President should they choose to do so.
So along that same line of logic, shouldn't blacks see that gays are also entitled to that same pursit of happiness as they see fit like Whites thought blacks were after over 3 centuries of institutional oppression?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 10:20 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,728,822 times
From the other thread that was just started: Many blacks shrug off Obama's new view on gays - Boston.com

Guess that's one answer, at least until the election shows us for sure... but no, I don't personally think it will change much.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:21 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,958,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HstoryBooks View Post

Fact: Most blacks don't like gay marriage.
No, but some might stay home, which is the next best thing from my perspective.

6,453 posts, read 6,977,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well that's because you're highly prejudiced against left-wingers and gays. Simple. You can't see the truth, which is that social conservatives on this forum often try to silence people from expressing their thoughts on this issue. If anyone dares to mention gays and civil rights in the same sentence, right-wingers will bellow, "How DARE you try to make a comparison between gays and blacks!"

LOL! So now Roseanne Barr represents all left-wingers?
Honestly, I haven't heard any say that. Who are you are quoting?

And of course Roseanne Barr doesn't represent all left wingers any more than the racist hard right wingers that represent all Republican/Conservatives which is precisely my point. Many left wingers (especially blacks) ignore the very same insults and racism within their own party, but all of a sudden possess three dminesional vision when it comes to pointing it out amongst Republicans.

Roseann barr received virtually no criticism that I can recall from the Democratic Party, but had that been a Republican it would have been spread all over the front page of every newspaper from here to Alburquerque

33,462 posts, read 17,967,991 times
Obama knows the blacks will support him only because of the pigment in his skin.Yet Obama could even bleach himself white and the blacks would still support him.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Most blacks from what I can tell simply see homosexuality as devient behavior, (by choice) and not much else.
Not the Black people I know, who for the most part are very accepting of gay marriage & rights - some are even openly gay themselves, LOL. I think this is more a regional than race thing, considering very few people of ANY race here (in the Bay Area) have a problem with gay folks... even the most religious among us are gay-friendly, as are most of the churches & temples. Where do you live?

Old 05-12-2012, 10:24 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,686,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
No, but some might stay home, which is the next best thing from my perspective.
That's what I'm thinking will happen if anything.

However, Obama knows he's going to have the black votes, regardless of waht he says at this point (short of endorsing the KKK and advocating for slavery). So he's not even going out of his way to reach out to blacks at this point.

Right now, he's trying to pander to his other potential voters.

Truthfully, as Obama revealed in 2007, he's strongly against Gay Marriage which fits the overall view on Gay Marriage in majority of the black community.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I haven't heard any say that. Who are you are quoting?
It's been said a million times, so they are quoting many people. I've seen & heard that myself, but oddly it's usually from a non-Black person.

Quote:
And of course Roseanne Barr doesn't all left wingers any more than the racist hard right wingers that represent the Republican/Conservatives which is precisely my point. Many left wingers (especially blacks) ignore the very same insults and racism within their own party, but all of a sudden possess three dminesional vision when it comes to Republicans.
Anyone who is staunchly Democrat or Republican does that... it's called wearing partisan blinders, or at least that's what I call it!

Old 05-12-2012, 10:27 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,977,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not the Black people I know, who for the most part are very accepting of gay marriage & rights - some are even openly gay themselves, LOL. I think this is more a regional than race thing, considering very few people of ANY race here (in the Bay Area) have a problem with gay folks... even the most religious among us are gay-friendly, as are most of the churches & temples. Where do you live?
Not from where I'm at which is why when these polls come out that I am not shocked at all that a lot of blacks aren't supportive of the gay community because in all honesty, I haven't seen it from any outside of the black gays themselves. Mind you the folks I come across aren't hardcore anti-gay types either (i.e. assaulting, pro discrimination against them etc). But the idea of their kids, friends, and working amongst gays is NOT something I think most are indifferent to. Atleast not as much as alot of the white people I know. This is especially true with the Carribean community where I live in NY.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:28 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,562,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Obama knows the blacks will support him only because of the pigment in his skin.Yet Obama could even bleach himself white and the blacks would still support him.
I could easily point to a number of whites who will vote for Romney only because of the pigment in his skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies