Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:27 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

For real, do you really think the government is rigged for the rich?

Before you answer this question, make sure you understand where the government gets and puts its money.

Be careful as the answer may surprise you.

Simple math. The Social Security and Medicare alone would account for 43% of 2011 Federal Budget. How many rich people would use that program?

Secondly, the top 1% earners paid 36% of income tax but how much government services such as Social Security, Medicare and Food Stamps do they use?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 05-10-2012 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 04:30 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
The government is rigged to take money from everywhere and to grow itself and it's influence on others.
IMO it needs a major diet and a huge spending restriction like a balanced budget amendment.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Politics is ran and funded by money. Rich lobbyists and donors are who politicians are beholden to.

The money for reelection comes from somewhere, right?

Yes, people with means have more influence on the government.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:30 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,315,598 times
It's not necessarily rigged for the rich but for the elite owners. The people you see as rich, like the top 5%, to well off, the next 5%, are merely the people who have, through birth, education, luck or skill have positioned themselves to get the most choice droppings of "trickle down" from the owners table (Rothchilds, Rockefellers, Morgans, Royalty, other central bank owners, biggest players of Wall Street and London which are usually favored or known by the former).

But you get the idea. They're not anymore concerned with the rich than anyone else. Because when push comes to shove, the people I know who I consider rich(only millions/not really that rich anymore)and the people who you think are rich are not going to be invited in the bunkers or private islands when the SHTF either.

That's the reality.

For those who think I contradict myself when I say I know rich people well... Some of my dad's friends "made it out" and still keep in touch. We still see them. As a matter of fact the corporate lawyers brother still lives near us, comes over the house and we see him frequently. They grew up in the house a street behind my parent's house and were the same as anyone else in the neighborhood. It would be A LOT harder to do today because he did NOT go to a tier one law school, not even close. As a matter of fact I used to have a friend who lived in the same house as my dad's friend who is now well off or rich and his parents are still there today.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:55 PM

4,152 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Take power out of the politicians and the issue is resolved.

If I have money, I would "invest" in politicians. If you invest in the financial market, you might loss. But it is a guarantee profit for "investing" in politicians. Usually in 100+ percentage or more.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The overwhelming amount of pork spending goes to the military and not food stamps and other social programs.

Sure, most of the rich are not getting food stamps or medicare, that's childs play. They are getting billions and billions of dollars in handouts and giveaways from the government. Just for example the far right forcing through the bush tax cuts for the rich extension that was 858 billion in new unpaid for spending.
The false wars to keep their arms dealers well paid on taxpayer dime
Keeping big oil and other large companies also screwing the nation over like crazy etc,..

The GOP goons may not have the intelligence to understand that the real welfare recipients sucking the nation dry are the top 1%

Nice rigged data by the way.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Today Obama was in town raising campaign funds. The lunch was $40,000/couple, then a concert at
$1,000/ticket and $5,000 for a photo reception. From here on to LA for a $40,000/each dinner at George Clooney's house. These are not hard working middle class people, and they wouldn't kick in that much cash without expecting something in return.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:59 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
For real, do you really think the government is rigged for the rich?
Why would you think it's not?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
The very rich manipulate the tax code with extremely favorable capital gains rates and loopholes like carried interest. Gingrich and others wanted to take the capital gains rate down to zero percent. Would that disproportionally benefit the rich? Unquestionably.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Why would you think it's not?
The data speaks for itself. Majority of the federal spending or tax dollars go to the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies