U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2012, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,674,292 times
Reputation: 7721

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
How would it be destroyed?

Drill, baby, drill.

Because you can't drill oil of those shale formations. You either have to dig up the shale and extract the oil from it (as Canada does with their tar sands) or inject steam or some other fluid to force it out.

So far, the injection systems aren't cost effective. And, of course, using steam requires huge amounts of water, which is limited in that area and it's water that can't be recovered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2012, 12:42 PM
 
29,419 posts, read 18,741,237 times
Reputation: 5437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You can find the GAO report here:

http://science.house.gov/sites/repub...l-20120510.pdf

Analyzing...

Mircea




Energy development is Capital intensive. It will suck Capital out of the Market. Can't exactly build a manufacturing base if energy is consuming all of the Capital, right?

So you have two groups competing for the same Capital, which might be very scarce. Supply of Capital is static/declining/slow growth and the Demand is High. What happens to the price/cost of Capital? It goes up. You pay more as a result.

There's a really easy solution to this: Find an alternative to the combustion engine.

Hopping and skipping....

Mircea
Sure it's capital intensive but if the reward is there the risk is worth taking for companies to start. The price of oil is the main driver.

If your solution were so easy it would have been done by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 01:14 PM
 
Location: planet octupulous is nearing earths atmosphere
13,624 posts, read 11,065,513 times
Reputation: 19981
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
We have a lot of problems drilling a thousand feet into the ocean too.

i know, and millions of gallons of oil and corexit is bobbing around the bottom of the gulf, slowly killing off life in the gulf as we know it..


when drilling goes wrong!!!



INDONESIA MUD VOLCANO TURNS OUT TO BE MAN MADE - YouTube


MASSIVE Methane Gas Leak off Aberdeen Scotland - YouTube



The Underwater Impact of the BP Oil Spill - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,674,292 times
Reputation: 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i know, and millions of gallons of oil and corexit is bobbing around the bottom of the gulf, slowly killing off life in the gulf as we know it..


when drilling goes wrong!!!



INDONESIA MUD VOLCANO TURNS OUT TO BE MAN MADE - YouTube


MASSIVE Methane Gas Leak off Aberdeen Scotland - YouTube



The Underwater Impact of the BP Oil Spill - YouTube

Ok, so what? Let's not drill at all and park all the cars and trucks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 02:28 PM
 
Location: planet octupulous is nearing earths atmosphere
13,624 posts, read 11,065,513 times
Reputation: 19981
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Ok, so what? Let's not drill at all and park all the cars and trucks?


did i say we should stop drilling???.. we as individuals should cut back on fosil fuel consumption. start buying smaller vehicles would be a good start. we waste the stuff like there's no tomorrow..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 02:32 PM
 
13,072 posts, read 11,432,328 times
Reputation: 2608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You can find the GAO report here:

http://science.house.gov/sites/repub...l-20120510.pdf

Analyzing...

Mircea




Energy development is Capital intensive. It will suck Capital out of the Market. Can't exactly build a manufacturing base if energy is consuming all of the Capital, right?

So you have two groups competing for the same Capital, which might be very scarce. Supply of Capital is static/declining/slow growth and the Demand is High. What happens to the price/cost of Capital? It goes up. You pay more as a result.

There's a really easy solution to this: Find an alternative to the combustion engine.

Hopping and skipping....

Mircea

They don't cite who the "some analysts" are, nor the work to which those projections are from.

I am interested in how they substantiate that quote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 02:37 PM
 
6,745 posts, read 8,297,695 times
Reputation: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
How would it be destroyed?

Drill, baby, drill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Because you can't drill oil of those shale formations. You either have to dig up the shale and extract the oil from it (as Canada does with their tar sands) or inject steam or some other fluid to force it out.

So far, the injection systems aren't cost effective. And, of course, using steam requires huge amounts of water, which is limited in that area and it's water that can't be recovered.
Do you realize you're trying to explain the science of oil extraction to a person who just said, "Drill baby drill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 04:44 PM
 
29,419 posts, read 18,741,237 times
Reputation: 5437
This may come as a shock to many oil haters but we use petroleum for many more things in this country other then making gas. Maybe take a look and see what happens in the real world and not the world of green weenies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 21,072,627 times
Reputation: 8620
Its shale oil, not crude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Ohio
19,936 posts, read 14,249,679 times
Reputation: 16114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
They don't cite who the "some analysts" are, nor the work to which those projections are from.

I am interested in how they substantiate that quote.
I noticed that. I also noticed GAO mentions the USGS three times and refers to a USGS report, but they don't cite the report. I tried searching for it, but without success. I'm aware that the USGS did a slough of reports on Shale Oil finds about 20 years ago. I sure hope they aren't relying on one of those.

Also interested...


Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Do you realize you're trying to explain the science of oil extraction to a person who just said, "Drill baby drill?
That's funny.

Amused...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
This may come as a shock to many oil haters but we use petroleum for many more things in this country other then making gas.
Of that I have no doubt, but at what point does it become stupid; at what point is "enough" enough?

Are you going to live in a cave while they strip-mine the US?

Curiously...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:14 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top