Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:00 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
That's been established: it comes from dirtbags, just as calling smart white kids "nerd" comes from dirtbags. Are African American kids supposed to rise to some level of righteous behavior that white kids have yet to surmount?
"Nerd" and "Acting White" are two different things. "Nerd" suggests that one is smart. "Acting White" is basically calling someone an Uncle Tom.

I wasn't talking about rising to "some level of righteous behavior". I was responding to some people pointing out negative things about African-Americans. I responded by suggesting that people ask themselves where some behaviors come from, rather than just saying something in a "matter of fact" kind of way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,821,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
"Nerd" and "Acting White" are two different things. "Nerd" suggests that one is smart. "Acting White" is basically calling someone an Uncle Tom.
So, you're arguing that my analogy doesn't apply because the fact that both are degrading isn't enough of a similarity?

Quote:
I wasn't talking about rising to "some level of righteous behavior".
You may not have intended that, but I think that any time someone uses that argument to demonize "black culture" that it implies that other "cultures" are better. But since every group does the same essential degradation of those who are noticed to be superior, then those imaginary people who don't do it must be righteous. Yeah?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:09 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
That's been established: it comes from dirtbags, just as calling smart white kids "nerd" comes from dirtbags. Are African American kids supposed to rise to some level of righteous behavior that white kids have yet to surmount?
The REAL racists here are other Black kids, NOT most white kids. It tears up many Blacks to see another Black person, especially a boy, act respectful and talk proper, read that like an educated person. Probably cause it blows away the excuses; 1 being racism, way too many Black people have for being hood rats.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:

I wasn't talking about rising to "some level of righteous behavior". I was responding to some people pointing out negative things about African-Americans. I responded by suggesting that people ask themselves where some behaviors come from, rather than just saying something in a "matter of fact" kind of way.
What's real stupid is "Black" talk IS a real old type of white English, it sure as hell ain't African. Sheesh.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The REAL racists here are other Black kids... It tears up many Blacks to see another Black person, especially a boy, act respectful and talk proper, read that like an educated person. Probably cause it blows away the excuses; 1 being racism, way too many Black people have for being hood rats.
What's the solution?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
What's the solution?
It starts with Black leaders coming down HARD on the hood rats and supporting the cops when some fool gets busted for acting stupid instead of threatening to riot over "police brutality". I'm talking to you, Al and Jesse. Yes; some cops are "pigs" but, when dealing with low lifes, people can get edgy real fast.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
So, you're arguing that my analogy doesn't apply because the fact that both are degrading isn't enough of a similarity?

You may not have intended that, but I think that any time someone uses that argument to demonize "black culture" that it implies that other "cultures" are better. But since every group does the same essential degradation of those who are noticed to be superior, then those imaginary people who don't do it must be righteous. Yeah?
My intention was to call out those who are basically trying to demonize Black people as a whole. Every culture has people with degrading behavior. However, when it comes to Black people, some people have a field day with it, trying to demonize the whole race. If someone is going to complain about "Black behavior", then they better start asking questions and offering solutions, good solutions, solutions that are productive for everyone. That was what I was trying to say.

I know that both terms are degrading. My point is that both terms are used differently.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It starts with Black leaders...
And that's racist: it starts with that population of non-Americans, "black" people. Right now, bullying is the problem du jour. But nobody says,"white leaders need to step up." No, everyone says,"we need to step up."

Any problem in this country that affects white people is a problem to which "we" must respond. But when it's a problem that affects African Americans, it's a problem to which "they" must respond.

People of your values claim that a groundswell of "white values" must erupt from within the poor segment of the African American community, and the unfortunate souls who, while living amongst poor African Americans, try to adhere to those "white values" are left to roll the dice of life because America no longer has an effective anti-discrimination in the workplace law. And you think it unreasonable that a hopeful African American is degraded for his naivete?

When the KKK was blowing up churches, white people didn't stand up and say that white leaders of non-profits must lead whites from evil. No, white people's problems were solved by the government. But for black people, whites say,"Make Jesse and Al behave, and things will work out for them."

Many African American people, just like white and Hispanic people, create their own problems; their actions frequently cause their failures. However, unlike white people, African Americans must overcome limits imposed by some of their own people and then many by white people. When do you choose to be a person who helps fight those limits rather than a person who helps impose those limits?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
My intention was to call out those who are basically trying to demonize Black people as a whole. Every culture has people with degrading behavior. However, when it comes to Black people, some people have a field day with it, trying to demonize the whole race. If someone is going to complain about "Black behavior", then they better start asking questions and offering solutions, good solutions, solutions that are productive for everyone. That was what I was trying to say.
I get it. I approach it from the perspective that some people are just scum who'll never change. And rather than worry about changing those people, we should worry about how to give safe passage to people like your sister. Of course, that can take different forms, but right now my concern is discrimination in the work place.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I get it. I approach it from the perspective that some people are just scum who'll never change. And rather than worry about changing those people, we should worry about how to give safe passage to people like your sister. Of course, that can take different forms, but right now my concern is discrimination in the work place.
The workplace, well, now I understand where you are coming from. I am coming from a perspective of school life. I've actually tried to talk to some Black students in my old high school, to get them to do what I was doing. The response was that of indifference. It kind of angered me. Looking back, I'm realizing, just as you realize, that some people will never change. However, it doesn't mean I won't try.

My little sister seems fully accepted by her peers. She is in college and an assistant manager at a sandwich chain. She had a safe passage.

I think between me and my sister, my sister turned out better. Her self esteem, like mine, got messed up in middle school. Unlike my sister, I've turned out more unhappy than she has. She has found a solid passage in the workplace. I have had issues in the workplace. Half of the time I could never find a job. The last job I held, I had connections. After 16 months I left my job because my student status changed(I had too many credits).

I remember when I graduated high school. I went to look for a summer job. One place I looked at was a bank. I remember a classmate of mine who was able to get a job at a bank, at age 18, a White female. I,on the other hand, couldn't even get a job at McDonalds. How she got that job is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies