U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
66,291 posts, read 33,642,226 times
Reputation: 14174

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post
Not even close to reality. Again teacher layoffs are real and affect CA classrooms. We've cut down on special education services (I had reduced hours) which truly hurt many families.

I guess if you want a truly unequal society in which the rich control all and have all the benefits simply because they can afford it, reduced taxation is great. I just believe in having a middle class.

Funds were transferred from the education budget, were they not?

They transferred nothing from the welfare entitlements. They actually increased that budget because more people than ever are getting the free ride in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2012, 08:19 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,398,572 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post
Well if property tax increases were allowed to be higher then that would be on the table. In fact, I think that would be better to raise property taxes and slightly raise income taxes rather than make the largest increases come from income taxes.
But you have yet to answer the question, how high is enough? California is BY FAR the highest taxed state in the country, and you want more..

Tell me why states with far lower taxes have balanced budgets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 08:45 AM
 
7,150 posts, read 8,780,374 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Funds were transferred from the education budget, were they not?

They transferred nothing from the welfare entitlements. They actually increased that budget because more people than ever are getting the free ride in California.
Just curious here.

I have read a steady stream of complaints about "free rides" being stolen by non-contributors ripping off benefits, ad-nauseum ...

Aside from facts and figures to support or debunk those claims, does it bother anyone that the folks who simply create money out of thin air -- banks and certain categories of investors, that is -- by pushing a button on their keyboard that leverages fractional paper value assets into new debt commitments -- are creating a free ride for themselves of economy risking proportions? And then running off to stash that new "money" in protected shelters to avoid taxation that could help support the government infrastructure on which we ALL rely? And then manipulating the media and public opinion to vilify the little welfare people in order to deflect public outrage onto folks who haven't got a pot to p*ss in?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Palo Alto
12,172 posts, read 7,024,958 times
Reputation: 4174
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Based on the CA CAFR I see no need for austerity or tax increases. Does anybody actually look at those in the public before deciding to hand over more money to the govt?
California Government Hides Billions From Taxpayers

quote:
TOTAL FOR ALL INVESTMENT FUNDS = $577,315,060,000 (approx)
“And you must understand that this is only the State government’s CAFR. Each County, city, district, and other local governments and pension funds have their own CAFR’s with their own funds and hidden wealth – hidden in plain sight. Totals for Los Angeles, San Francisco, and other counties and municipalities in California will, when combined together, dwarf the investment wealth of the State government alone.”
Hey, if there are checks in the checkbook we must still have money. Who cares if the checks we already wrote will bounce....


Please tell me this guy doesn't get to vote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 AM
 
1,580 posts, read 1,478,849 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Just curious here.

I have read a steady stream of complaints about "free rides" being stolen by non-contributors ripping off benefits, ad-nauseum ...

Aside from facts and figures to support or debunk those claims, does it bother anyone that the folks who simply create money out of thin air -- banks and certain categories of investors, that is -- by pushing a button on their keyboard that leverages fractional paper value assets into new debt commitments -- are creating a free ride for themselves of economy risking proportions? And then running off to stash that new "money" in protected shelters to avoid taxation that could help support the government infrastructure on which we ALL rely? And then manipulating the media and public opinion to vilify the little welfare people in order to deflect public outrage onto folks who haven't got a pot to p*ss in?

Just curious.
The "little welfare people" (especially those who should not be here to begin with) are costing taxpayers' a fortune. California is only one of them paying billions of dollars a year.

Quote:
America has a national debt of approximately 14 trillion dollars. What can our country do to stop this spending? Statistics show that 338.3 billion dollars are spent on illegal immigrants in America annually. (3) This amount alone would be enough to stimulate the economy for the real citizens of this country. If we were to tighten border security, we would be able to cut down our debt. Therefore, to minimize national debt, America should tighten border security and thus stop spending money on welfare, Medicaid, and education for illegal immigrants.
How Much Does Illegal Immigration Cost America? | Teen Politics Essay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 12:08 PM
 
7,150 posts, read 8,780,374 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
The "little welfare people" (especially those who should not be here to begin with) are costing taxpayers' a fortune. California is only one of them paying billions of dollars a year.

How Much Does Illegal Immigration Cost America? | Teen Politics Essay
Forgive my mirth. You cited a "Teen Politics Essay" to illustrate your point?

Look, if you think the money spent on welfare is costing you, you should get an education on how the banking and monetary system of our country is structured and run. Welfare is a drop in the bucket compared to the wealth that is being created and sequestered and stolen all around you everyday.

Focus on "money from nothing" (as the Dire Straits song goes) and how it robs you and all of us of our potential -- then we'll work on welfare, ok ... Go for the big money problem first ... then see about picking up those nickles and dimes.

When I wrote "money from nothing", I mean literally "money from nothing" ... you, we, all are being completely tooled ... and it isn't by foreigners, or the underprivileged. And they are poisoning us while they do it and couldn't give a fig less.

Here, since you like teenage explanations, watch this short video of a 12-year-old Canadian explaining how the theft works:

fantastic 12 yr old Victoria Grant explains how banks commit fraud.mp4 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 12:22 PM
 
51,733 posts, read 41,660,095 times
Reputation: 32295
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post
Well if property tax increases were allowed to be higher then that would be on the table. In fact, I think that would be better to raise property taxes and slightly raise income taxes rather than make the largest increases come from income taxes.
CA already has one of the highest total tax burdens and it has caused businesses to leave the state or grow elsewhere.

The problem with CA is that they are buried in social programs they cannot afford as shown by my earlier comparison of the CA budget pies from 1960 to 2010.

Increasing taxation may likely result in just getting a bigger piece of a smaller pie.

P.S. Did you know Tiger Woods left CA for FL due to the tax savings? He wasn't the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 12:26 PM
 
51,733 posts, read 41,660,095 times
Reputation: 32295
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Just curious here.

I have read a steady stream of complaints about "free rides" being stolen by non-contributors ripping off benefits, ad-nauseum ...

Aside from facts and figures to support or debunk those claims, does it bother anyone that the folks who simply create money out of thin air -- banks and certain categories of investors, that is -- by pushing a button on their keyboard that leverages fractional paper value assets into new debt commitments -- are creating a free ride for themselves of economy risking proportions? And then running off to stash that new "money" in protected shelters to avoid taxation that could help support the government infrastructure on which we ALL rely? And then manipulating the media and public opinion to vilify the little welfare people in order to deflect public outrage onto folks who haven't got a pot to p*ss in?

Just curious.
The topic is the CA budget. That means you have income and expense. We've already shown that the part of the CA budget that has exploded is the welfare portion. Their tax revenue has been stagnant.

So please come back on topic.

I mean, I could start ranting about the NBA's lottery system but this isn't the proper thread for that now is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
66,291 posts, read 33,642,226 times
Reputation: 14174
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Just curious here.

I have read a steady stream of complaints about "free rides" being stolen by non-contributors ripping off benefits, ad-nauseum ...

Aside from facts and figures to support or debunk those claims, does it bother anyone that the folks who simply create money out of thin air -- banks and certain categories of investors, that is -- by pushing a button on their keyboard that leverages fractional paper value assets into new debt commitments -- are creating a free ride for themselves of economy risking proportions? And then running off to stash that new "money" in protected shelters to avoid taxation that could help support the government infrastructure on which we ALL rely? And then manipulating the media and public opinion to vilify the little welfare people in order to deflect public outrage onto folks who haven't got a pot to p*ss in?

Just curious.


End the Fed!

Bring back a precious metals standard, to keep this thing from happening.

They won't borrow, what they can't get. They will keep a tight budget, or go without things they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 12:48 PM
 
7,150 posts, read 8,780,374 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
CA already has one of the highest total tax burdens and it has caused businesses to leave the state or grow elsewhere.

The problem with CA is that they are buried in social programs they cannot afford as shown by my earlier comparison of the CA budget pies from 1960 to 2010.

Increasing taxation may likely result in just getting a bigger piece of a smaller pie.

P.S. Did you know Tiger Woods left CA for FL due to the tax savings? He wasn't the only one.
37.5 million residents of California ... Tiger Woods leaves ... 37,499,999 left ... a couple more leave: 37,499,997 still hanging on ... well, let's say 1,000 more leave for tax purposes (their loss): 37, 498,997 ... yep, sure looks like an exodus for tax purposes to me ...

the problem was / is the housing bubble blew up and burst ... which had nothing to do with social programs.

Btw, you might want to look up spending categories per resident for California compared to other states ... worse than some ... better than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:25 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top