U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:13 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,798,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
Indeed I am lovely and there is nothing I appreciate more than a kindred spirit. Prisons put people to work and separate the others who work from those that would rob their works from them. Then again no need for prisons or welfare with utilization of the dreaded word work but that is just too hard a concept for some folks it is also not politically possible with vote whores that hand out substistence packages instead of jobs that they know nothing about creating and even will go out of their way to regulate out of existence. Or didn't you think of that? Hmmm?
Yes, a lovely attitude shines through your every judgement of others.

Actually though, prisons don't put many people to work at all ... most prisoners perform perfunctory tasks in the institution ... sweep floors, hand out and wash towels in the prison gym, etc. Actual employment through prison industries is quite low ... about 16% in Federal prisons:
BOP: Inmate Work Programs

I suppose that you feel we could create more work for prisoners though ... to which I would answer, not really -- and I know a little something about the topic. But I'll spare readers the tangent. Suffice to say, creating prison jobs, and managing the work is more expensive, by far, than revenue earned. So, nope, that idea is shot if you are basing the merit on saving society money.

I guess that leaves killing off those you consider worthless. There is precedent in history. California has both a huge prison overcrowding / cost problem and has become way too populated -- so ...

Since you enjoy judging others so much, perhaps you'd like the job of executioner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,798,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Absolutely. They don't have to any more than I have to abide by their opinions. I also don't need them to foist their responsibilities on me because, wel because they want to.

What are your beliefs when it comes to every free citizen's personal social responsibility?

Nope, it's up to them to manage their lives. Or you can, if they'll let you

Raise, nurture and educate my son like the rest of my friends, neighbors and family members do.

What are you going to do?

Totally agree, as is their right.

Again, what are you going to do.

Make them wards of the state? I don't have the answers to correcting the willful neglect that many choose to exercise and I've already given my thoughts on the subject of adults having to be resposible or they and their progeny are doomed to failure.

Like you, I'm also curious to and confused about the lack of responsibility among so many adults.
What am I going to do? I'm not the one complaining.

Failed human intention and endeavor are a part of living. Some people are prepared and capable for life's requirements and challenges -- and others, not so much. That's just the way it is. Doesn't mean it's my place to condemn them. I personally find it appropriate to understand and be gracious about others' limitations -- as I hope they would be about mine. Although I do confess to being a bigot about bigots.

Beliefs? Moi? I don't much get into "believing". Beliefs are subjective opinions ... and opinions are defined as a:
1. belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

I do science and observations though ... and what I observe about life is that beliefs lead to a lot of disappointments.
I raised four kids of my own and a couple fosters at times. Good for me, being the responsible type. But I'm not arrogant about how easy it is to be missing some of the foundations for going through the wonderful ordeal. This business about "willful" neglect, or "willful" choices to fail is not logically founded. What would motivate someone to be weak and lost in life? Why would someone make "willfully" self-destructive choices? We don't. Willfulness arises in determination to overcome and succeed -- and that happens when a lot of fortunate circumstances are coincidentally present. Life is by nature opportunistic in positive, constructive ways. Life, by definition, does not "willfully" destroy itself. Other forces compete with life -- and often win.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 PM

8,487 posts, read 5,901,600 times
Wow.
Walter Burien: CA Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports Show $8 Trillion Tax Surplus
quote:
When all California local governments’ CAFR surplus accounts are totaled, Californians have been overtaxed by $8 trillion dollars in a sampled study of the more than 14,000 government entities.

The criminal fraud expands with Governor Brown vetoing a bill that would document the state’s ability to create at-cost credit through a state bank, and failing to communicate the success of North Dakota’s state-owned bank producing increasing budget surpluses.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:58 PM

5,936 posts, read 4,667,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's a very foolish government that tries to tear down it's hardest working, most productive portions of society and pay the least capable, the least able to breed and that's what we have.

The government has attempted to replace the father -- most of the 40% of babies that are now being born into welfare handouts are of course born to unwed mothers -- "single homemakers" on their welfare application forms.

The government is actually creating this mess by rewarding irresponsibility and stupidity -- not that people don't make mistakes, they can and they can recover from their mistakes but the government discourages that and encourages more stupidity and mistakes.

The problem with liberals is that no matter what, they cannot see the problem in putting more and more people onto government programs. They really believe that the sky is the limit.

Reality is coming -- whether you like it or not.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:15 PM

3,576 posts, read 6,063,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They need to tax these republican pigs who don't pay their fair share more. This can be solved.
Didn't California just raise taxes on the "rich" to 12% state income taxes to cough cough "save education, police, fire dept". U know. Prop 30 that was suppose to rake 6 billion like governor brown projected?

Why is the state going backwards with its projection? Oh wait. We all know prop 30 wasn't really meant for schools and police. It was suppose to re add that money straight into the general fund to partial pay for the bloated pensions and nothing was added to fund the schools.

The public never learns. Prop 30. Look what California passed last November 2012. They even made the tax increase retroactive to Jan 1 2012 to collect even more revenue.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Didn't California just raise taxes on the "rich" to 12% state income taxes to cough cough "save education, police, fire dept". U know. Prop 30 that was suppose to rake 6 billion like governor brown projected?

Why is the state going backwards with its projection? Oh wait. We all know prop 30 wasn't really meant for schools and police. It was suppose to re add that money straight into the general fund to partial pay for the bloated pensions and nothing was added to fund the schools.

The public never learns. Prop 30. Look what California passed last November 2012. They even made the tax increase retroactive to Jan 1 2012 to collect even more revenue.
Seriously, why do people think giving more money to people who keep the profits for themselves and beg for more right to your face is a solution? NM that these BKs are all about writing off pensioners.
California Government Hides Billions From Taxpayers ... - Reality Blog
CAFR resource book: Govt 1% lie, hide surplus trillions from 99%
CA CAFR $600 billion ‘case study’ final status with state reps, local media, law

Old 05-12-2013, 01:26 PM

19,717 posts, read 11,557,895 times
The OP's article was from May 2012. These are current articles:

Big taxes and big spending cuts give California a budget surplus - Feb. 7, 2013

California tax revenue dips but surplus remains

Old 05-12-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Yep, its old. Luckily there are BOTG peeps like this Harvard guy. Pointing out the "real" financial state.
CA CAFR: Parks ‘found’ $54M, $2.3 billion more now ‘found;’ full $600B next?

Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,400,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They need to tax these republican pigs who don't pay their fair share more. This can be solved.
Pray tell, what exactly is your idea of a "Fair Share" tax rate for a dual-career couple (say a police chief and a school principal) making $250,000 a year but living in very expensive southern California?

Old 05-12-2013, 02:01 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,400,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Number 1 in GDP, number 1 in weather, number 1 in sports, number 1 in entertainment, 840 miles of coastline, number 1 in state universities and number 1 in technology. I can go on almost forever… California isn’t perfect but it is clearly the best state (in my opinion)…
Then I guess you won't mind forking out a bigger chunk of your income and sending it to the State of California.

My spouse just had to turn down a job offer at a decent increase in pay because it was in Vermont (we're in NH with no state income tax). Vt's 8% income tax would have removed almost half of the 16% nominal raise, but even worse, would have eaten 8% of my deferred income from my current company.

The point here is that high state taxes are a disincentive for well-to-do new people to move into the state. Even if the high-income earners currently living there will stay because of family ties, growth is not going to be very robust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies