U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:55 PM

10,494 posts, read 23,187,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
only in vagas whats done in vagas only stays in vagas..
You have the choice of whole state of Nevada, and 10 other states. In those ten states, you have to look if they have local smoking bans, because many of them do. My point is if you really wanted to open your smoking only bar, you could do it.

List of smoking bans in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 10:59 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,278,333 times
Here in WA state you can still exercise your right to smoke, but only on an Indian reservation. As far as I know this applies even if only 1/32nd Indian. However, you may have to have more documentation than just 'high cheekbones' and 'family lore' to satisfy our Gov. Christine Gregoire.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:01 PM

10,494 posts, read 23,187,791 times
Quote:
yep happens all the time!! but i'm yet to see a pic of decapitated bodies on bottles of hard booze

Family of young women killed by drunken driver win $1.35 million from Gresham bar | OregonLive.com

here's just one story^^^ out of thousands!!!
That is a very sad story, but it was not the bars fault. The family should have sued the real culprit, the women who was drunk behind the wheel.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:10 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,899,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Sounds like you missed an excellent business opportunity.

A bar or restaurant is not a public place, it's private establishment that allows the public to enter. The owner for example ca say I don't like your hair color you'll have to leave.

Having said that your willingness to give up the liberty, responsibility and privileges of making your own decisions is appalling. If you're unable to take that on please don't try and force it on the rest of us.
For all intents and purpose, a private establishment in which the public is allowed to enter is the same as a public establishment. Because, in effect, you're responsible for whatever happens in that building with those people (I.E., if they slip and fall, you're responsible, if they eat rotten food from your store, you're responsible, etc.). Furthermore, if your business is "open to the public", you can't restrict the "public" to only a certain demographic. For example, I should have as much as a right to enter your private establishment that's open to the public as the 56 year old white male that did. There are exceptions of course. Indecent exposure is one (thus the no shirt, no shoies, no service thing). Hair color is not a protected class of discrimination, but I wouldn't recommend anyone discriminates against it.

Now, if you don't want the government to interfere with your private establishment, then you don't allow the public to enter.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:14 PM

2,792 posts, read 3,207,904 times
Quote:
no thank you ..i will just keep smoking, don't want all the nanny staters telling me what to do.. if you read my op you would see that i am against a ban
You should quit for your health, but keep making your drug addiction an excuse to lash out against others. Addicts are all the same.

Quote:
but you know the day is coming that the fools in capital hill will propose legislation on banning drinking in bars and resturants.... you do know this right???
We tried that already in the 20s, didn't take.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:22 PM

13,624 posts, read 11,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
You should quit for your health, but keep making your drug addiction an excuse to lash out against others. Addicts are all the same.

i hope you include all the drunk addicts that drink beer, wine,and hard liquor in you assessment

We tried that already in the 20s, didn't take.

yep it won't work^^^,, just like keepiing marijuana illegal doesn't work either maybe its time to legalize it!!! and stop funding the enemy cartels..

Old 05-12-2012, 11:23 PM

13,987 posts, read 10,930,642 times
Quote:
just a question?? don't get on me case..

now look at it this way, thay have practically banned cigarette smoking in all public places, then why not ban alcohol in public places!!! just think of all the lives that would be saved from people not leaving bars and resturants drunk. thousands of people die from drunk drivers, drunks with guns, drunks with attitudes..

i say no!!! but what do the nanny staters say???
The restrictions on cigarette smoking in various venues are not so much about health as they are about the fact that people mimicking walking fires and belching smoke on everyone within a twenty foot radius around them is really, really annoying to everyone else who does not wish to smoke.

Drinking a beer or a glass of wine does not necessarily produce an unavoidable and unpleasant side effect on other people who are not consuming your beverage.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:24 PM

2,792 posts, read 3,207,904 times
Quote:
yep it won't work^^^,, just like keepiing marijuana illegal doesn't work either maybe its time to legalize it!!! and stop funding the enemy cartels..
No argument there.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:38 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,493,596 times
It's not the same thing at all. I can go to a restaurant, get drunk, and take the bus home, or call a cab if I'm desperate. I've never driven drunk and I've done plenty of drinking in my day. I can't, however, have a smoke in said restaurant and not pollute everyone else's air and lungs, many of whom may have asthma or some other respiratory illness. I do think that some local laws could be more flexible. I personally would like to see new shisha bars open up in my city. Those that remain have mostly been grandfathered in and new one's haven't been allowed to open, which is damn shame, I love how shisha gives an alternative to drinking when I go out with friends and want to enjoy something socially. All that said, I get the smoking bans and I think them very civilized.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:51 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,423,331 times
[quote=313Weather;24280347]The problem is all bars and restaurants, before the bans were instituted, allowed smoking.

Non-smokers have the right to visit public establishments and not inhale over people's smoke./quote]

But they don't have the right to infringe on other people. There are numerous non-smoking bars, these people should go to one of them instead of pulling the progressive elitist nose stuck up in the air "I smell nasty smoke"

A business owner should have the RIGHT to cater to a customer base he wants in his establishment.... He should have the right not to serve a person and ask them to leave the bar if said person(s) make a scene because of the smokers in the bar.

Bottom line: YOU DON'T LIKE IT? GET THE F**K OUT...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies