Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 04:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's request to visit Ground Zero during the United Nationals General Assembly next week was rejected Wednesday by federal and New York officials.

The decision was made during a meeting of the New York City Police Department, Secret Service and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, according to a statement issued by the NYPD.

Requests for the Iranian president to visit the immediate area would also be opposed by the NYPD because of security, police said.

FOXNews.com - Iranian President's Visit to Ground Zero Denied - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 04:38 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,005 times
I think they heard the rumblings of the under belly of the people of NYC saying 'not gonna happen'.

Only not quite so politely.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:54 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
I think they heard the rumblings of the under belly of the people of NYC saying 'not gonna happen'.

Only not quite so politely.
Yes, it's probably an emotional reaction, cloaked in an official designation as a "security risk".....something like if a Ku Klux Klan leader requested an official tour of Auschwitz.....probably not a good idea, for a number of reasons, including "security"---right?.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:56 PM

559 posts, read 1,324,019 times
Just goes to show how stupid and clueless this guy is

Old 09-19-2007, 04:57 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Not just emotional, but tactical as well. If he was to visit, the odds of him using it for something to gain him favor with his fellow whacko's and/or the other whacko's of the world/USA are pretty much full-on guaranteed. I can easily picture him standing there with hundreds of camera's on him and blaming the Jews for what happened....

Old 09-19-2007, 05:02 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's request to visit Ground Zero during the United Nationals General Assembly next week was rejected Wednesday by federal and New York officials.

The decision was made during a meeting of the New York City Police Department, Secret Service and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, according to a statement issued by the NYPD.

Requests for the Iranian president to visit the immediate area would also be opposed by the NYPD because of security, police said.

FOXNews.com - Iranian President's Visit to Ground Zero Denied - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Is anyone surprised? This is the guy who will arm terrorists whom he works with, NUKES to be used on US soil. Think they want him on Ground Zero?

It would be like letting a Nazi on a Jewish Holocaust memorial. I am GLAD people in this country are opposed to this insane tyrant.

Who wants to bet the ACLU will wnat to sue to let this guy visit the 9/11 Memorial???

Old 09-19-2007, 05:08 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Is anyone surprised? This is the guy who will arm terrorists whom he works with, NUKES to be used on US soil. Think they want him on Ground Zero?

It would be like letting a Nazi on a Jewish Holocaust memorial. I am GLAD people in this country are opposed to this insane tyrant.

Who wants to bet the ACLU will wnat to sue to let this guy visit the 9/11 Memorial???
Yes I AM surprised--pleasantly surprised !--I honestly didn't think we had that kind of "backbone"---good for "us". Good point about the ACLU, too--a real "classic" case for them, and a very "charismatic" client--surprised they haven't yet filed.
And as rd2007 suggests, he'd immediately use this for a "grandstanding" photo op.

Bad idea all around...

Old 09-19-2007, 08:22 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Yes I AM surprised--pleasantly surprised !--I honestly didn't think we had that kind of "backbone"---good for "us". Good point about the ACLU, too--a real "classic" case for them, and a very "charismatic" client--surprised they haven't yet filed.
And as rd2007 suggests, he'd immediately use this for a "grandstanding" photo op.

Bad idea all around...
Macmeal, it has almost a Hugo Chavez kind of strut to it. I figure it is the showmanship that is put on by egocentric leaders of small countries with delusions of grandeur, and an almost, "neener neener", finger in the nose quality to it.

I don't think I would worry about the ACLU right now, they are tied up with the whole, "Larry Craig" uber superdooper hero team right now.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:12 PM

136 posts, read 778,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
Just goes to show how stupid and clueless this guy is

I wonder if it was his plan to put in the request, hoping all along it would be denied? Can he somehow turn this denial into a propaganda victory? Maybe he's outsmarted us?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:39 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Don't get me wrong, I don't like the guy, but last time I checked, Iran had nothing to do with 9/11, so if he wants to go there and make a fool of himself, I don't see why we are forbidding him to do so (don't we usually let visitors to our country go where they want to go regardless of how we feel about them? it isn't as if that section of lower Manhattan is private property). It only makes us look bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies