Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 AM

37,729 posts, read 40,764,681 times

Advertisements

If given a chance to go back to being sovereign nations would the people living in the 27 countries that make up the European Union vote to stay in the EU, disband it or just have their own country leave it?

I'm not asking what you want but what you think the people living in the European Union would choose to do if they could vote on it, today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,180,327 times
Most people here are from the US, likely haven't even left the country and thus why are you asking the question? Did you do any research on this topic? Why should people on this forum answer a thread that you haven't even bothered to google?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:26 AM

14,250 posts, read 17,844,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If given a chance to go back to being sovereign nations would the people living in the 27 countries that make up the European Union vote to stay in the EU, disband it or just have their own country leave it?

I'm not asking what you want but what you think the people living in the European Union would choose to do if they could vote on it, today.
First the disclosure ..... I am an EU citizen (I have dual nationality) and have lived in the UK and in Geneva (right on the French border). I visit Europe a lot and speak French (which means you can chat with ordinary people).

Now to answer the question.

No, most people are pretty comfortable with the EU. They don't see it as a loss of sovereignty but as having delivered better living standards and political stability. They also like the ability to move around most of the EU without needing passports, etc.. Even the Euro, which is suffereing with the sovereign debt problems, is not really in question in most of the EU.

French people don't feel less French because they are EU citizens.

Countries like Portugal, Spain and Greece which emerged from dictatorships see the EU not just as offering economic progress but also as a guarantee of a democratic future. Eastern European countries see the EU as a protector against any renewed Russian expansionism.

It is only really in the UK that the EU is seriously questioned. But that is more a disagreement on what the EU should be. Many in the UK want a common market. Many in the rest of the EU are happy with closer integration.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:44 AM

77,690 posts, read 59,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
First the disclosure ..... I am an EU citizen (I have dual nationality) and have lived in the UK and in Geneva (right on the French border). I visit Europe a lot and speak French (which means you can chat with ordinary people).

No, most people are pretty comfortable with the EU. They don't see it as a loss of sovereignty but as having delivered better living standards and political stability. They also like the ability to move around most of the EU without needing passports, etc.. Even the Euro, which is suffereing with the sovereign debt problems, is not really in question in most of the EU.

Countries like Portugal, Spain and Greece which emerged from dictatorships see the EU not just as offering economic progress but also as a guarantee of a democratic future. Eastern European countries see the EU as a protector against any renewed Russian expansionism.

It is only really in the UK that the EU is seriously questioned. But that is more a disagreement on what the EU should be. Many in the UK want a common market. Many in the rest of the EU are happy with closer integration.
While not wanting to leave the EU, there is a strong growing push in Germany to abandon the Euro.

Essentially, it may not be the all-or-nothing proposed in the thread title.

The many benefits of common passport etc etc. would surely be retained as widely popular. However, if member nations refuse to meet financial guidelines and are dragging down the others....then there will absolutely be a breaking point.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:48 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,207,401 times
As another dual citizen of a Central European country, being raised there, and with a large family born and raised overseas, I can attest to the fact that many of them are not interested in participating in the EU. Typically, the more independent minded folks are the ones who wish to disband to some capacity.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:59 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,700,706 times
Even within a nation formed in 1776, the idea of secession still exists. It doesn't come as a surprise that people used to being independent nation have an issue with EU as an entity. But, let us not assume that all do, or don't. There will always to opposition to everything.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:14 AM

37,729 posts, read 40,764,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Most people here are from the US, likely haven't even left the country and thus why are you asking the question? Did you do any research on this topic? Why should people on this forum answer a thread that you haven't even bothered to google?
I just read an article by Pat Buchannan this morning:

Is this the end of ’1 Europe’?

but I don't trust the media and I haven't formed an opinion so I left one out of my post and didn't mention the Buchanan article because I didn't want it to be a reaction to Buchanan rather than to what they perceive is going on in Europe and that is whether they think Europeans are souring on the EU.

Is that all right with you? Because if I need to clear my posts through the Question Police, I'll make sure that the next time I tell you where and when you can stick it in advance and save you the trouble of typing.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:20 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,207,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
While not wanting to leave the EU, there is a strong growing push in Germany to abandon the Euro.

Essentially, it may not be the all-or-nothing proposed in the thread title.

The many benefits of common passport etc etc. would surely be retained as widely popular. However, if member nations refuse to meet financial guidelines and are dragging down the others....then there will absolutely be a breaking point.
I'm going to go with this. The EU may not dissolve, but it will be substantially weaker as a central figure and countries will be more free to make their own decisions regarding monetary policy, austerity (or not), immigration, trade, etc. EU 2.0 will look substantially better IMO.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:22 PM

692 posts, read 1,350,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

I am British and I agree totally. The EU has changed and people live, work, travel and trade across the EU and this freedom to travel, live, work and trade has done more to cement a more European identity than any politicial figure.

The plight of the Euro is a seperate issue to the EU, although I think the Euro may well survive.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:28 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
Itas re3proted that 70% of the greeks do not want to leave the Eruo zone but they also do not want to fix their problems that are long standing wither. kind of have your cake and eat it too.That is common when faced paying the bill for what you can't afford';really.The real fact is the Euro is tied to the problems in the euro zone and vice versa. If it where not then greece could devalue its stand alone currency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies